Glestain gyuto passaround... Lefties only

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the glestain back today. Thanks guys for taking good care of her. I stropped on a very hard unidentified j-nat and 3 micron diamond paste on leather and she's back to shaving sharp. Nice sharpening job too btw. Very nice clean bevels.

Just curious. How much did you change it from the original profile. The steel was easy to work.

The profile of the knife is the same as it was new pretty much. Just a little shorter. And I've tried to maintain as much of the original geometry as possible over time.

How much extra was the left version? I miss using it. Wasn't to down with the aesthetics though. It's like the knife version of a "but her face"

Knife definitely deserves more respect regardless of the steel.

Knife definitely deserves more respect regardless of the steel.

Agreed. It was the first knife that I got that I don't think I would ever sell.
@ Lol - I don't remember what I paid for it. I got it through Korin almost four years ago. It is more than the righty version and I do believe that they have gone up in price a bit since I bought mine.

The 210 was one of my first real Japanese knife purchases (Lefty!) It still sits in my kitchen every day at home. Don't think I could ever sell it. Although I don't love the steel on it, I love the knife and don't think I could ever get rid of it.

-Chuck

Hi Lefties, I'm lefty sushi chef From New Zealand.

May I ask some questions before I pull the trigger? I always using laser chef knife for most of the work or single bevel knife for my sushi job. My previous restaurant chef using the Glestain knife, I only had one time experience to hold the knife, but didn't try any ingredients. first impression is quite heavy.

I don't cut a lot of onion & potato, Only cut some sweet potato once or twice a week for about 3kg.

I cut many of sushi, capsicum, cucumber, carrot, ginger with precious cut. make it thin like hair.

Is it better to stick with laser profile knife? or Glestain is good to do these job as well?

Welcome to 2021 chap, That’s a hell of a bump. Been anywhere nice?

More seriously I suspect there’s still a bit of residual love for Glestains in professional settings, but I’d like to think that there may be better left handed options commonly available now.

Perhaps some wrong-handers may jump in with more practical help here, or it might be worth filling in that ‘what knife’ questionnaire thing,

I'll attempt to help. I am a professional cook, who also happens to be left handed and have a 240 Glestain in my knife roll. Quite often its my go to knife, and sees many hours of regular action. I don't think it will thrive in your application though. It will work, but if you're making Katsuramuki and other fine knife work I think you'd work carbon. The knife is fairly heavy, but thats a draw for me. Mine clocks in at 252g, so while not a wusthof, it will feel heavy compared to most knives of a similar length.

Back