Great Deals on Honing Sprays

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The great white frosty north.
(Canada)

It may also be worth noting that I only placed my order last week.

Edit: whoops, apparently it hit customs yesterday while I was away at a conference. I have it now - the warehouse guy just stopped by my desk.

I'll have to take a look at picking up some strop material so I can try them out...

I now have the perfect test subject, too -- a sanmai higo-no-kami that I recently picked up.

Just received mine today. Playing with them right now. Loaded a few balsa strips with .1, 1 and 6.

My inexpensive suji (sk4) hit the bester 1200 then the 6micron MDP. Nice and aggressive edge. I will see how it performs tomorrow.

Touched up my kono w#2 gyuto with the 1, cr-ox and .1. Seems like there is an inch or two that could use a stone but the rest of the edge is super crispy sharp. I will have to take a little more time tomorrow really see what these can do.

Very happy with my new stropping toys.

Thanks for the heads up Dave!

Argh I should have jumped on this before the price hike on the PDP.

Wow 30% increase... Looks like I may stick with trying the mono...

I've been having a terrible time trying to find a small spritzer/atomizer bottle. Any other suggestions for evenly coating my strop?

Great find.

I've had good luck mixing chrome oxide powder in mineral oil and painting it on a strop (leather and balsa). As Dave says, it's an unholy mess. I think I'll try doing the same thing with some 1 micron cubic boron nitride powder.

Surgical mask: check. Vinyl gloves: check. Retractor: oh, wait.......

Edit: whoops, apparently it hit customs yesterday while I was away at a conference. I have it now - the warehouse guy just stopped by my desk.

I'll have to take a look at picking up some strop material so I can try them out...

Moose hide?

Also try searching for watercolor atomizer. That's how I've found them in the past.

I was hoping to try cbn. Doesn't appear to be available anymore. :( Glad I got the PDP before that price hike though, that really is a shame.

Also try searching for watercolor atomizer. That's how I've found them in the past.

I was hoping to try cbn. Doesn't appear to be available anymore. :( Glad I got the PDP before that price hike though, that really is a shame.

I'd send them an E-mail, i don't think they keep stock of all these things, the volume for them would probably be larger sizes than the average knife-nut wants...

If you send an email to them (or call) don;t mention that you want the products for sharpening or honing purposes. The retailer has a lock up on selling to this market and you'll just be referred to them (for the high priced payment).

the price increase kidna sucks but still cheaper than some other places.

Got tired of trying to find a spray bottle so I just dribbled it onto the leather and spread the puddle around with my fingers.

Seems to be working pretty nicely for me, although I've still got lots of practicing to do.

Went from 330 -> 1k -> 4k -> 3u -> 1u. The 3 micron gives me a definite improvement over the 4k edge, but I'm not really certain I can tell the difference between the 3u and the 1u edge.

Maybe it's because I'm not sharpening anything with fancy enough steel? (too scared to sharpen my gyuto or usuba just yet...)

Plus being able to obectively tell the difference between 3 and 1 micron compounds, assuming they are the exact same chemical and suspension, would be a fine trick indeed.

I've noticed the best results are offered by either 1. using the right compound for the right job, right after the stone, or 2. combining different compounds, I.E. taking it up to a high polish with .5 CrO on leather, then hitting it with 1mic Poly. I especially like CrO for push cutting tools, like razors, parers, and whatnot, but it is slippery on slicers. Sometimes if you take the edge up to a high, smooth polish and then rub a few teeth into it with the poly, you get a little of both worlds.

Crap, prices went up :(

Anyone has more than they need and willing to sell some? Mostly looking for .1 or .025 poly slurry or suspension :)

I'm sure that the retailers went to the source and complained so they adjusted as is usually the case. Those who jumped on it got a good deal and now those who want those sprays know how much they're (over)paying...LOL :)

I'm sure that the retailers went to the source and complained so they adjusted as is usually the case. Those who jumped on it got a good deal and now those who want those sprays know how much they're (over)paying...LOL :)
Yup, I never considered it but my friend just gifted me a strop, so I figured I'd get a little to try. 8oz may last me 50 years!

I found a little atomizer bottle at the dollar store. Had some kind of musk something or other in it, but 91% alky killed that smell quick. Label peeled right off and my sink drain is smelling some kind of sexy................

Rich

Since they jacked the price on the PDP would MDP work? Say MDP 3 Vs PDP 1?

Dave

Since they jacked the price on the PDP would MDP work? Say MDP 3 Vs PDP 1?

Dave

That's not a good comparison. if you wanted PDP1 then get MDP1 instead. The mono is slightly rougher and slower cutting but unless you really get crazy comparing you'd never know the difference.

That's not a good comparison. if you wanted PDP1 then get MDP1 instead. The mono is slightly rougher and slower cutting but unless you really get crazy comparing you'd never know the difference.

Good to know. For those following the thread the MDP 1 micron 250ml suspension is still only 7 dollars, but 10 extra for shipping. Still less than half the price of HA and double the product.

Water-base strong suspension works well on leather, for me oil-base a bit sticky/lumpy (over loaded as always). Agreed with Dave on 1u md&pd. cbn yields slightly smoother edge. I bought md: 12u down to 0.1u, pd: 1u - 0.1u (after price increased ~$40 per 8 oz). Sub 100nm md/pd products min qty is 5gals (avoiding retailers channel conflict/canibalistic).

If you send an email to them (or call) don;t mention that you want the products for sharpening or honing purposes. The retailer has a lock up on selling to this market and you'll just be referred to them (for the high priced payment).

Dave - what should I say to them? I have to call them to place an order since my address won't confirm they're on-line ordering system...

Back