Greetings from Austin

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Basecadet thanks for coming in. Wish you had said something earlier, I woulda sent you out the proper treatment. Hope you enjoyed your meal tonight. PS I am leaving my position at F&D for something new to come. Will keep everyone posted. It's gonna be awesome!!!

From a fellow sushi chef to another, hello!

where you work in austin, how is the sushi scene?

hey pete! i work at uchiko in austin.. sushi scene is a bit different from other states i've been.. not tons and tons of sushi restaurants for a city of this size mostly since it's so far from the coast and getting good fish requires more than just a large wallet. its interesting to say the least but we all work hard to make things as good as we can, and improve anywhere possible. i came here to learn, and i've learned more in my time here than i thought i would. we have a lot of chefs from cali so i've heard a good deal about the sushi out there (my family is from the bay area as well). how you like it over there and where are you working?

Been meaning to check out Uchiko hear it's got nice food. I hear you about being far from the oceans... Moved back here from Seattle and San Fran before that and I certainly miss the uber fresh fish.

Been meaning to check out Uchiko hear it's got nice food. I hear you about being far from the oceans... Moved back here from Seattle and San Fran before that and I certainly miss the uber fresh fish.

Freshness at uchiko is not much of a problem.. definitely easier in san fran but our head sushi chef has some good relationships with a lot of the companies, so we get fish delivered daily. Definitely should check it out if fresh is your thing

Hey Basecadet thanks for coming in. Wish you had said something earlier, I woulda sent you out the proper treatment. Hope you enjoyed your meal tonight. PS I am leaving my position at F&D for something new to come. Will keep everyone posted. It's gonna be awesome!!!

Good luck! Austin is definitely interesting. Would be interested to hear where you go. F&D is beyond solid.

I've heard many good things about Uchiko and Austin becoming a culinary destination, cannot wait to check it out. Lived in Texas for 2 years when I was a kid. My family owned a small fusion japanese restaurant in a small town, back in the 90's folks in the area had no idea about sushi and the thought of eating raw fish was quite foreign indeed. I guess our timing was off, as it was still a growing trend on the left coast and hadn't quite absorbed into the culinary scene in a Lubbock. I do recall falling in love with Tex-Mex food at the time! haha

The plethora of well trained sushi chefs in LA and California in general make it an excellent place to learn and train. The flip side would be its a very competitive job market and the average wages for sushi chefs are relatively lower while the cost of living is quite high in LA or SF. I've been lucky to have worked at a handful of small sushi restaurants under strict and dedicated sensei. If ever in Austin I would love the chance to stage with you guys! Cheers!

So where should we host the Austin meet up?

Perhaps the Draught House? They are really easy going about group meetups as long as we go when there is table space available. I'm sure they would be fine with us having a small collection of knives to pass around as long as we cleared it beforehand. Great beers on tap and just around the corner from Uchiko. Maybe if we plan it at the right time we could incorporate the Sake Social?

I can also offer my house but I am out in Manor, TX. I will gladly smoke some butts to provide at any meetup.

On another note I'm pretty set at my current job but my weekend availability is completely open. If any of you Austin CDCs or Line Cooks wouldn't mind a stage who is not completely useless around your kitchens for the night I'd love to help out and learn some stuff. PM me.

the d is a great place to get drunk :) i get off pretty late though

Back