Gyuto knife between £100-£200

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, you would have saved some money on shipping if you had waited with the purchase so you could get a stone shipped with the knife from JNS.

Good choice on the knife btw.

I agree, but the boss was adamant on ordering the knife tonight to ensure it was here in time! If all goes well with the knife, I'll probably look to JNS for an additional knife to add to the collection. Perhaps a pairing or vegtable knife.

Regards,
Jordan

Well.. I finally made my decision, and as you all hinted towards, performance outweighed aesthetics in the end.

Based on the overwhelming amount of recommendations, I chose to go for the Itinomonn StainLess Kasumi 210mm Wa Gyuto. I'll be sure to get some photos once it arrives.

One more thing.. and I realise I should probably create another post under the 'sharpening' section, could you please advise the best sharpening stone setup for a beginner. As I'm sure you can all relate, Christmas is hard on the bank! So the more reasonably priced the better. Perhaps a range between £40-£100?

Regards,
Jordan.

Jordan, I'd start a thread in Sharpening Station" for this purpose.

I agree, but the boss was adamant on ordering the knife tonight to ensure it was here in time! If all goes well with the knife, I'll probably look to JNS for an additional knife to add to the collection. Perhaps a pairing or vegtable knife.

Regards,
Jordan
Or another gyuto. And another. And Another.....:pirate1:

Regards,
Jordan

Good for you, JNS just announced a holiday vacation, meaning that ordering from now on will be delivered next year. :) (and a 15% discount on most items too...)

Glad to hear that :) I have to admit - today (one year later) I would give you pretty much the same recommendation.

Always fun to hear when someone found the right knife. Congrats!

...and I agree with Matus 100%.

Itinomonn Is a great knife , congrats

In the UK this is called customs duty, or import duty.

You can read all about it straight from the horse's mouth here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...tice-143-a-guide-for-international-post-users

In a nutshell you pay, for non-EU goods:

(i) VAT at the standard 20 per cent (calculated on the cost of the item/s and shipping and insurance costs);
(ii) customs duty as per the rate for that item (kitchen knife = 8.5 per cent / sharpening stone = no customs duty) (also calculated on the cost of the item/s and shipping and insurance costs); and
(iii) a Royal Mail/Parcel Force handling charge (£8 or £13.50 see http://www.parcelforce.com/sites/default/files/Customs leaflet.pdf)

There's also a sliding scale...

Goods Value and Customs Charges applicable

£0.01 to £15 No customs, No Import VAT**

£15.01 to £135 No customs, Import VAT due

£135.01 and greater Customs duty due, but waived if the amount calculated due is less than £9, Import VAT due

----------------------------

Disclaimer: I wrote this pre-Brexit, after which we can maybe look forward to import duties from everywhere.

Thank you for this run down. good information.

Back