Gyuto with least stiction / best food release

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried both the Ginga and Konosuke HD out? I've seen a lot about both, but I've found that people seem to like the Ginga more?

In general, I think a lot of lasers cut fairly well, but sticktion can be an issue because a lot of the side of the blade is flat--they don't have much bevel. That being said, I really liked the HD gyuto I had.

I haven't found stiction to be much of an issue with my HD. It's an inherent issue with lasers: because they are so thin, there isn't enough metal to work with to build in convexity. However, to the extent that there is some minor stiction -- which I personally consider to be a pretty insignificant issue, at least to the extent it exists with the HD -- it's more than made up for by its ability to hold an edge and the lack of wedging that comes from its extreme thinness.

So for lasers, I've gathered that these 3 are highly regarded:

Gesshin Ginga
Konosuke HD
Sakai Yusuke

As far as I can tell though, Ginga has the best F/F of the three, although I could be wrong (and I do want the best F/F especially if the performance is comparable across all 3, which it seems like it is).

I've never seen anyone describe Yusuke F&F as anything but first rate. You can't go wrong with Gesshin Ginga either.

So for lasers, I've gathered that these 3 are highly regarded:

Gesshin Ginga
Konosuke HD
Sakai Yusuke

As far as I can tell though, Ginga has the best F/F of the three, although I could be wrong (and I do want the best F/F especially if the performance is comparable across all 3, which it seems like it is).

I have Kono HD and have to say I don't know how can one improve F&F any further. I'd say F&F on my Konosuke is a least as good as on my Shigefusa.
I think you can't go wrong with any either of those.

I have Kono HD and have to say I don't know how can one improve F&F any further. I'd say F&F on my Konosuke is a least as good as on my Shigefusa.
I think you can't go wrong with any either of those.

I was going to say the same thing, but didn't want to come across as too much of a Kono booster, plus I have no experience with the Ginga or Yusuke. If I did have one tiny criticism of the Kono, it's that the spine and choil could be rounded slightly more, though they certainly have been rounded. Honestly, I think any differences here are likely to be at the barely perceptible margins -- you should go with what your gut tells you you want the most (you may also want to pay attention to the fact that not all knives are the same length -- some are a bit shorter than 240, 210, etc., and some slightly longer -- depends on your preference). Whatever your choice, you are going to be very happy.

I've owned all three, and the F&F of the Gesshin Ginga is just a tad better than the Sakai Yusuke, which is in turn, a bit better than the Konosuke HD. It centers primarily on the spine and choil area, and isn't anything that a little time, wet/dry sandpaper and effort can't fix. As mentioned elsewhere, the Sakai Yusuke has a screened kanji, rather than engraved.

FWIW, the "laser" I have now isn't any of those three, but a Tadatsuna INOX.

I've owned all three, and the F&F of the Gesshin Ginga is just a tad better than the Sakai Yusuke, which is in turn, a bit better than the Konosuke HD. It centers primarily on the spine and choil area, and isn't anything that a little time, wet/dry sandpaper and effort can't fix. As mentioned elsewhere, the Sakai Yusuke has a screened kanji, rather than engraved.

FWIW, the "laser" I have now isn't any of those three, but a Tadatsuna INOX.

How does the Tadatsuna compare?

I'm curious about the Tadatsuna as well.

Also to be clear, I'm looking at the western Ginga since the wa Ginga isn't in stock - is everyone referring to the wa Ginga or the western Ginga?

what about the original "Laser" Suisin Inox Honyaki : the epitome of a laser

the suisin inox honyaki has amazing handles but personally id take a white steel versions over any of the stainless/semistainless lasers. theres also tanaka damascus knives which are san mai blue steel lasers... but you really shouldnt consider any of these knives if food release is a priority.

the suisin inox honyaki has amazing handles but personally id take a white steel versions over any of the stainless/semistainless lasers. theres also tanaka damascus knives which are san mai blue steel lasers... but you really shouldnt consider any of these knives if food release is a priority.

Food release was my #1 priority when I started this thread, but after doing more research and talking to Jon from JKI I've come to realize that it isn't anymore - I want cutting performance. The reason why stiction bothers me so much is because my knife's cutting performance is so bad right now - if it were better stiction wouldn't bother me as much. Later on I might add a knife with great food release to my collection.

Thanks though!

About the Tadatsuna.

Is it enough to say that it is the one I kept? The choice between it and the Gesshin Ginga was strictly subjective, as the Tadatsuna just felt better in my hand when I used it. You'd be hard pressed to distinguish among them on cutting performance.

About the Tadatsuna.

Is it enough to say that it is the one I kept? The choice between it and the Gesshin Ginga was strictly subjective, as the Tadatsuna just felt better in my hand when I used it. You'd be hard pressed to distinguish among them on cutting performance.

One of KC Ma's - RIP - favorite knives as well.

One of KC Ma's - RIP - favorite knives as well.

when he and i were working together a long time ago, i had a suisin inox honyaki and he had the tadatsuna... he used to joke that the only reason he liked the tadatsuna better was that the kanji were stamped in instead of etched on ;)

FWIW, I pulled the trigger and I will soon be the happy owner of a Gesshin Ginga. :D

I may not be getting the food releasing, anti-stiction world conqueror I was after at the start of this thread, but I will be getting one helluva knife, to say the least.

Thanks Jon!!

FWIW, I pulled the trigger and I will soon be the happy owner of a Gesshin Ginga. :D

I may not be getting the food releasing, anti-stiction world conqueror I was after at the start of this thread, but I will be getting one helluva knife, to say the least.

Thanks Jon!!

Congrats! I'm sure you'll love it. And I'm sure you'll be back here, looking to feed the addiction. :muahaha::

Just got the Ginga today, and ho- ly- crap. As nice as the pictures are, they really don't do it justice - this knife is unreal. Superb fit and finish, surprisingly comfortable western handle, great balance, lightweight, and so thin (but very sturdy - not so thin that it's flimsy). (Nicer, IMO, than most or all of the knives I looked at at Korin.) Also, there are no pictures of this, but on the reverse side of the knife is some really beautiful engraved kanji, complimenting the etched kanji on the other side. And 240mm really was the perfect size for what I was looking for. I have to work late today so I won't get a chance to cook until tomorrow, but needless to say, I am excited. :D

Also, there are no pictures of this, but on the reverse side of the knife is some really beautiful engraved kanji, complimenting the etched kanji on the other side.

This is the Ashi-Hamono Kanji. Pictures of this can be found the JKI website, it is the 2nd picture available of the knife.

Mowgs

Back