Hand Made Chopsticks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ecchef,
Thank You for the photo.
I was able to print it out life sized.
I will use this as a reference when I make my next batch. These look very similar to the ones I saw on a website made by Takeda.
I like the clean crisp lines on the ones in the photo you posted.

When I had gone to the different chopstick supplier web sites I found a large variety of chopstick shapes.
The ones I had made so far were modeled after a pair at home that my wife preferred.

There are so many varieties of chopsticks, from super fine point ones in the picture that ecchef posted, to the ones that Mark made, to square ones, to short ones, etc. In my experience, the squarer ones are generally considered "cheaper" to the finer point ones that I usually see at higher end restaurants. Ones like these, are great for home use. Also, there's a huge difference between Chinese and Japanese chopsticks. Chinese ones tend to be long, squared at the back and rounded toward the tip.

In most Japanese homes, they're somewhat like the one in ecchef's picture, but not as pointed at the tip.

Mark: I'm not familiar with Bubinga. Are all of your chopsticks made with stabilized woods? If they're stabilized, the woods shouldn't cause allergic reactions, right?

The current design seems... hybrid in some way. I like the woods, but I do prefer either a more traditional Japanese style or traditional Chinese style.

Hmm. This has me hankerin' to get more chopsticks, but I haven't even used the last set that I bought last year! :)

Hey Mark, got the first pair of chopsticks in the mail yesterday. Of course, had to have some Chinese food to break them in. Have to say they did a great job. They were able to pick up small grains of rice, and I'm sure as I get more practice in with them, they will become an extension of my hand. Oh yeah, and these look amazing in person.

I'd also be in for a pair of pointy 'sticks. It's super cool that you're making these; I'm looking forward to the next batch!

I don't suppose you would do these by order? A whole set of 6 or 8 would be great for my rice-eatin' family.

Mark: I'm not familiar with Bubinga. Are all of your chopsticks made with stabilized woods? If they're stabilized, the woods shouldn't cause allergic reactions, right?

I am making the sticks with natural, not stabilized woods. I could not find enough info about stabilized wood being food safe so I decided not to take any chances.
The way I have selected woods so far was to avoid any that act as an irritant. Plus selecting ones that are strong enough that I would not have to worry about tips snapping off.

Pitonboy,
I could make some sets, sort of as an order.
If I was told the preferred type of wood and any specifics I would make some as requested in the next batch.
It would not be a firm commitment on my part, more like I would give you first right of refusal when they are completed.
That way for me making the sticks is still fun, not me fulfilling a debt I owe. (I don't know if that makes sense)

I have also contacted someone that I consider an authority seeking more info and an example of popular/traditional style Japanese chopsticks.
I think the photo ecchef posted is my first step in the right direction.

The sticks I have made so far were based on a set my wife uses the most. She enjoys using chopsticks to eat just about anything that can be eaten with sticks.

just about anything that can be eaten with sticks.

So that potentially means anything other than steak and BBQ ribs :)

It'd be strange to eat lasagna or chicken pot pie with chopsticks, but it's do-able... ;)

Just teasin'! Looking forward to seeing the second generation of Burl Source chopsticks!

I have sent out paypal invoices to most of you that requested chopsticks.
If I missed anyone, please send me a PM with your email address so I can send you a paypal invoice.
This is what I use to do my shipping. When I receive the payment through paypal all I have to do is click on the shipping link to print postage and the mailing label.

I am making the sticks with natural, not stabilized woods. I could not find enough info about stabilized wood being food safe so I decided not to take any chances.
The way I have selected woods so far was to avoid any that act as an irritant. Plus selecting ones that are strong enough that I would not have to worry about tips snapping off.

This is why you're a great vendor. You've already looked into these kind of issues.

There are so many varieties of chopsticks, from super fine point ones in the picture that ecchef posted, to the ones that Mark made, to square ones, to short ones, etc. In my experience, the squarer ones are generally considered "cheaper" to the finer point ones that I usually see at higher end restaurants. Ones like these, are great for home use. Also, there's a huge difference between Chinese and Japanese chopsticks. Chinese ones tend to be long, squared at the back and rounded toward the tip.

In most Japanese homes, they're somewhat like the one in ecchef's picture, but not as pointed at the tip.

As M stated, there is a big difference betwee the Chinese, Japanese & Korean styles, and that should be taken into account. I would guess that people with different cultural backgrounds are comfortable with what they grew up with. I've been using Japanese style every day for years, so it's what I'm accustomed to. Even to the point where I bring my own hashi when we go out to eat.
The picture I posted was to illustrate my suggestion, but the proportions in that photo are very exaggerated. Sometimes it's nice to have a wee bit of texture on the first 50mm or so to facilitate grabbing slippery/round objects, but it's not necessary. Can't wait to see the next round.

I am going to mess around with more chopsticks today.
I think I will try to use the photo ecchef posted as a guide, plus some John B mentioned.
The wood I cut is some old stock ebony. Makes me sneeze when sanding, but it is a traditional used wood for Japanese chopsticks.
I figured this would be a good strong wood for thin tips.

001-25.jpg

I'll take both sets of the bubinga.
Thanks.
These have been shipped. Thank You
2 pairs, 1 silky oak and 1 bubinga for me please. Thank you.
Koa sets #9 & #10 go to Wild Boar. Thank You.
Koa #s 1 & 2 go to markk.
Koa sticks #4 go to The Edge.
Koa sticks #6 go to Vertigo.

Back