Hard Cider

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ill stick to my whiskey barrel, kingston black cheers. Calvados makes me argumentative.:D

There's a few brewed at an apple orchard in my home town they sell more like a sparkling wine than a beer, though they have a variant with multiple types of hops they grow on site, as well as a few other varieties. I've only tried a few others but those stand out as my favorites, maybe because they aren't so sweet. The orchards name is windy hill, but I can't recall if they brand their cider as anything else..

There's a few brewed at an apple orchard in my home town they sell more like a sparkling wine than a beer, though they have a variant with multiple types of hops they grow on site, as well as a few other varieties. I've only tried a few others but those stand out as my favorites, maybe because they aren't so sweet. The orchards name is windy hill, but I can't recall if they brand their cider as anything else..

they put hops in their cider?

Yes, three varieties if I remember correctly. That's only one of the 4 or 5 ish they make

Did some digging on Google...apparently this is a thing now...never heard of, nor expected it, before. And I'm a former assistant brewmaster for the first local brewery. Interesting....I must seek this out.

There a quite a few brands that have a hops as part of the process. Part of it is simple curiosity and experimentation, part of it is to appeal to more beer drinkers.I say, if you don't like cider, then you just don't like cider.

I like Samuel Smith's Organic Cider from England. Fox Barrel in CA makes some interesting pear cider. Lots of options at my local liquor store - some good, some not so much.

I used to brew my own beer when I lived in apple country (central NY). A guy I knew and I bought 3 50 gallon whiskey barrels and 150 gallons of local cider. I ended up with 50 gallons of pretty good hard cider but couldn't bottle it all. I would put 5 gallons out on three consecutive -10 degree nights and skim the ice off in the morning. Was left with some tasty apple jack. Took some of that over to a chemistry major who had a kitchen still and made what I called "apple essence" - high octane with a whiff of apple.

Revisiting this thread.....in four years time I came across another English cider I like Green Goblin.

@j
I have terrible memory trying to recall what I've drank, no I'm not an Alki, I just don't have the best memory.

Angry orchard: pear, seasonal, apple

Original sin: cider, elderberry (realllly good)

Johnny appleseed

My preference is for lightly sweetened to dry non sweetened ciders. Spanish dry ciders. You might want to try Dutches de Bourgogne (Flemish ale, great intro to Flemish/sours) vinegary, lighter, perfect for burgers and fries. Not in n out better paired with five guys burgers and fries. Maybe countertop if they are still there. Do you have a WOB in the hills?

A friend of mine is the cider drinker so I'll text him and get back to you.

Back