Harner Kiritsuke-Gyuto Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great looking saya, Eamon (and Rick)!

If I'da known it would be posted, I wouldn't have used a dirty windowsill. :lol2:

If you could give me any and all feedback on this sheath as the passaround goes, well, around, I'd appreciate it. No need to coddle me, I want to hear what you guys think.

If I'da known it would be posted, I wouldn't have used a dirty windowsill. :lol2:

If you could give me any and all feedback on this sheath as the passaround goes, well, around, I'd appreciate it. No need to coddle me, I want to hear what you guys think.

I don't like your saya's very much at all... :justkidding: it's not like I was thinking I would bring all my knives to Austin with me so I could then bring them to you to make some for them. No I never have that thought once or twice a day.

At the very least I want one for my ITK Bread, my Harner, my CCK...

I have this whole plan in my head. First to Mike for new handles, then to you for some covers. Now to save up the money to do that.

I am happy to see the 'ol girl getting used:thumbsup:

A little judicious cropping, and ...

1ad42d32.jpg

I actually seen this blade last year at the Hammer in, Mario brought it for us to see. I probably could of cut something with it then. But didnt get the chance to. Im really looking forward to getting the opportunity to put this one to work. Thanks again

EDIT.. Nice work on the sheath BTW.. Im impressed. :)

Sorry to bog the thread down, but my saya that Eamon made me (one of his first, I believe) is still fitting beautifully and holding up very well. It takes a bit of a beating too. I use it on the knife, then jam it under a corner on a sheetpan to get juices for sauces, use it as a spoon holder for tasting/stirring spoons, spreading mortar...ok, maybe not the last one.

Wow, that looks very nice, can't wait for it to arrive!

hmm It may be a good thing lefty isn't in the pass around. The knife prob. would make it but the saya may have problems.:clown:

The knife arrived safely at my doorstep today, all is well.

:D
I'm no Pesky, but I like to use my tools and not have to baby them. It actually explains why I favour the knives I do quite a bit.
To be honest, this one looks right up my alley. :)

Ok, so I'll post some pictures either late tonight after work or early tomorrow afternoon depending on how much sleep I need. So far I've only had the chance to cut one onion and all I can say is that I am impressed. This knife acted as if there was no onion and I was slicing through air, absolutely fantastic. I don't know if this is the result of Butch's grind/steel/HT or Eamon's sharpening or a combination of both. My guess is it's a little bit of A and B and clearly I still have work to go on my sharpening abilities. I will have to do more testing, much more testing but so far I'm digging it. I also can say that I love the extremely flat profile as I do 90% push cuts.

OK, I couldn't help myself, here's a teaser pic.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Sorry to bog the thread down, but my saya that Eamon made me (one of his first, I believe) is still fitting beautifully and holding up very well. It takes a bit of a beating too. I use it on the knife, then jam it under a corner on a sheetpan to get juices for sauces, use it as a spoon holder for tasting/stirring spoons, spreading mortar...ok, maybe not the last one.

i have one Eamon saya (and two on the way), and while i haven't used it as a sheet pan, or to hammer nails into my latest victims, it is certainly holding up well!

Well, I have had a few days to play around with this knife and here's my brief synopsis.

Fit and Finish: Not including the cracks that developed, the handle itself is beautiful, and the tang is blended perfectly. The blade is straight with no over grinds etc etc. Maker's mark is very clear, defined and overall, the knife is very well-made.

Aesthetics: Other than Butch's Nakiri, I cannot get into his "radical/rustic" shaped knives. This is my problem, not butch's or anyone else's.

Performance: The profile is perfect for my style of cutting, which is 90% push cutting. The grind is awesome, it fell through everything I threw at it with minimal sticking. Eamon's edge plus Butch's grind = one serious cutting machine. I wasn't perfectly perpendicular with my cutting board when horizontally slicing onions and I shaved a bit off my Board Smith board (oops :O). The performance has been so very great for me, that now I am considering looking into a Butch knife in the future. Function for me is way more important than form I guess, I just wish he made a Gyuto that I liked the look of. Perhaps I will look into getting a Nakiri if I like my Carter when it arrives.

Eamon's sheath was very well-made with no rough areas, gaps or unevenness anywhere. Once again, similar to Butch's knives I prefer a different design asethetically but the blade fit perfectly into his sheath. In fact, it friction fit and the pin was not necessary, although I understand wood changes overtime so the pin will be necessary in the future. Maker's mark was well burned in and overall I thought it was very nice. It is just as nice as my Shigefusa saya, which once again isn't the nicest looking but from a function standpoint, it is amazingly well fit.

Pics...

bh1f.jpg

By chicagopete at 2012-06-11

bh3.jpg

bh4p.jpg

bh5v.jpg

bh6e.jpg

bh7e.jpg

bh8t.jpg

Below is the crack mentioned earlier.
bh9x.jpg

Below you will see a very small crack on the top left hand corner of the handle that I noticed.
bh10p.jpg

By ChicagoPete at 2012-06-11

bh11.jpg

P.S. I did not sharpen it because it did not need it and I will be packing it up and shipping it out Wednesday morning!

Damn! Wish I got in on this too. I need to try a Harner.

Lefty, you still live in Canada? same city as before?

I think, I'll send you one so long as you promise to review it. Oh and send it back.

looks liek it split witht the grain im thinking i can back fill that and refinish it. in the long run to i might have to replace it
i ll hav eot back trace the wood source and make sure its not from a batch that i had trouble with (might jsut have been bad luck as it is wood after all)

Damn, I saw Butch's name pop up after the generous offer from jm2hill and thought, "hmmm. Maybe butch wants me to try out his top-secret new knife".
Ah well, maybe next time.... Haha

I'll think about the offer. Thanks jm!

Sorry guys, I will have this out to the post office first thing tomorrow morning.

Shipped this morning via USPS, expected to arrive at Shane's door on the 16th but I'm guessing the following Monday.

I received this today and plan on using it some this week. Also planning on sending it out on Thurs. I also received the Yam... Nakari (sorry am in a hurry, and can't remember how to spell it. No insult is intended.) So it will be a busy week. Not to mention the 1200 stone will be showing up on Wed. I'm just a little excited.:happymug:

Um I was mistaking earlier. I will be sending this out prob. on Mon next week. The Nakarii is on its way to a new owner. Sorry for my confusion.

i too am confused as i didnt now it was changign owners but just being passeds around

i too am confused as i didnt now it was changign owners but just being passeds around

No, it's not changing owners, at least as far as I know. Just a bit of confusion, I hope.

Butch, it will be going to you for a new set of scales at the end of the passaround, though.

Thanks in advance, your treatment of your customers is outstanding.

Rick

Back