Heiji Santoku

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the knife is paid for and on its way... Pics coming soon.

The knife arrive yesterday, Japan's postal service lighting fast as usual, it took 6 days to arrive to Madrid's customs office. The knife looks fantastic, super thin, way thinner than I was expecting and very sharp. I see a lot of similarities with the Shigefusas, dramatic distal taper, rounded spine,a barely visible primal bevel, very well finished but humble looking handles, etc, the finish is not as good though.

All in all, very happy, I'll try to post pictures later today.

So I'm reporting back after some use. The initial primary bevel was stupid thin, it chipped like crazy and I botched the tip on day three, a quick trip to the stones solved the chipping issue and the tip.

The semi stainless steel reacted a little bit with acidic foods at the beginning but just enough to create a cool patina, once the initial patina was set, it hasn't evolved much.

The finish is worse that the Shig, the pictures show how it came from Heiji, when I have the time I'll use som finger stones to fix it. the handle is surprisingly good though very comfy, grippy and the bone ferrule has a better polish than the Shig.

I bought it to substitute the Shigefusa gyuto and Carter funayuki you see in the pics as my daily user and all in all I'm very happy with it.

Pics

pc1bSl.jpg

hCVa7l.jpg

KcfHQl.jpg

iVp1Tl.jpg

This one is heading my way next week :hungry: Can't wait.

P1070722.JPG

P1070723.JPG

Looks great, careful with the edge, I highly recommend a micro bevel

So I'm reporting back after some use. The initial primary bevel was stupid thin, it chipped like crazy and I botched the tip on day three, a quick trip to the stones solved the chipping issue and the tip.

The semi stainless steel reacted a little bit with acidic foods at the beginning but just enough to create a cool patina, once the initial patina was set, it hasn't evolved much.

The finish is worse that the Shig, the pictures show how it came from Heiji, when I have the time I'll use som finger stones to fix it. the handle is surprisingly good though very comfy, grippy and the bone ferrule has a better polish than the Shig.

I bought it to substitute the Shigefusa gyuto and Carter funayuki you see in the pics as my daily user and all in all I'm very happy with it.

Pics

pc1bSl.jpg

hCVa7l.jpg

KcfHQl.jpg

iVp1Tl.jpg

i think the finish on the Heiji looks just fine.

Received an update from Nakayaheiji that my santoku is finished and will be coming here soooooon.

P1070729.JPG

P1070728.JPG

Being a home cook and fond of usuba, this should serve me well.

When people say that Heiji knife runs long, I didn't expect a santoku to be this long, but it will serve me well. This 210 beauty runs 225mm from tip to heel; 49mm tall at the heel; 4mm spine thickness at the heel and taper to 2mm spine thickness at the tip.

heiji_santoku_0.jpg

heiji_santoku_5.jpg

heiji_santoku_6.jpg

Wow, that's the nicest santoku I've seen. Something about Heiji...

Back