Help - I HATE my omelet pan- the steel pan thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why mess with what is working? This is a voice of experience on this issue.

Why mess with what is working? This is a voice of experience on this issue.

That's how I feel, but there were a couple people who thought I was cooking in a dirty pan and one friend's girlfriend refused to eat what I made in the pan. :rolleyes2:

I guess I shouldn't worry about it, there are just some people that are hard or impossible to please.

For reference, here's a shot of my pan.

photo.JPG

I had some free time this week and brought two pans and an 8 qt dutch oven down to bare metal and polished them back up to 600 grit. I am trying the flaxseed oil season. More to follow.

I have had great results from applying multiple coats of flaxseed oil - especially on my old cast iron stuff.
My Carbon Plus pan did not turn completely black, but cosmetics aside, it works as it should.

Hope it works out well for you too..

Lars

Kyle,
Explain to her that you are heating the pan up to well past 175F (think chicken...you can even prove it to her by smoking some veg oil in a pan - 325F, or so, I believe) and that she has nothing to worry about. Once people realize that the brown spots won't flake off and the pans get too hot to be of much concern (and you wipe it out, etc) they inevitably come around. And if she doesn't, just do what Spike said! :)

Kyle,
I started at 150 and went to 600 grit I used a palm sander on the flat spots.

I have about 6 coats of the flax oil on now and the pans are a translucent brown.

Kyle,
Explain to her that you are heating the pan up to well past 175F (think chicken...you can even prove it to her by smoking some veg oil in a pan - 325F, or so, I believe) and that she has nothing to worry about. Once people realize that the brown spots won't flake off and the pans get too hot to be of much concern (and you wipe it out, etc) they inevitably come around. And if she doesn't, just do what Spike said! :)

Yeah, most people can be reasoned with, but it's similar to when I'm making BBQ and I have to convince people that the chicken is pink because of the smoking process and is normal and not undercooked. Some people simply refuse to eat it because they think it's raw. :rolleyes2:

Kyle,
I started at 150 and went to 600 grit I used a palm sander on the flat spots.

I have about 6 coats of the flax oil on now and the pans are a translucent brown.

Thanks for the info! So even at 150 and a palm sander you never thought it was too aggressive?

Better warn your friend if she thinks thats the dirtiest thing she'll put in her mouth.

Oh that's just wrong! :rofl2:

Here is a quick shot of two steel pans done with the flax seed oil treatment.

Now those are some pretty patinas! Anyone who won't eat from them should just starve!

those pans look great, I am going to have to try that on one of mine.

Jim, is there an advantage to the flaxseed oil?

Also, do you guys wash these pans with soap every time you use them or does that ruin the season?

Jim, is there an advantage to the flaxseed oil?

Also, do you guys wash these pans with soap every time you use them or does that ruin the season?

It is supposed to hold up and preform better than some other oils. we will see.
I always wash them with soap and water.

More questions about size and thickness of carbon steel pans.

A 9.5" pan will fit on the small burner, 11" pan fits a large burner, but what about 10.25" diameter pan, is it meant to go on the large or small burner?

Also the heavy carbone plus are about 2-3 mm thick and heavy as cast iron, the black or blue steel pans are only 1.3-1.5mm thick, much lighter and easier to handle. The heat holding properties of heavy pans is obvious, what about the light thin pans, in a pro kitchen what kind of tasks would the thinner pans be well suited for?

I'm trying the flaxseed oil now, too. Thanks for the link, Ratton. That was a very useful read.

It is supposed to hold up and preform better than some other oils. we will see.
I always wash them with soap and water.

Interesting, I have a 3 Carbone Plus pans (with cast iron handles, not the stamped steel ones :D) and I haven't had much luck with Flax Seed seasoning... I think it's a heat issue though. I'll have to give it another go now that yours turned out awesome.

Resurrecting this thread because it is such a great source of information.

Anyone with feedback on how their Flax Seed seasoning performs compared to their old seasoning? I burned some onions and screwed up the seasoning on one of my pans, looks like I will have to strip and re-season it using the Flax seed.

Resurrecting this thread because it is such a great source of information.

Anyone with feedback on how their Flax Seed seasoning performs compared to their old seasoning? I burned some onions and screwed up the seasoning on one of my pans, looks like I will have to strip and re-season it using the Flax seed.

I love the flaxseed seasoning on my 100 year old Griswold cast iron skillets, but in my DeBuyer carbon pans I didn't like the forced seasoning I put it on so I stripped it off and started all over, just fried some bacon then started using it and to let it develop naturally. That's just my experience.

I love the flaxseed seasoning on my 100 year old Griswold cast iron skillets, but in my DeBuyer carbon pans I didn't like the forced seasoning I put it on so I stripped it off and started all over, just fried some bacon then started using it and to let it develop naturally. That's just my experience.

2nd this, each to their own, but in my experience, every time I forced a seasoning it flaked off after some use. There should really be no reason for the seasoning to come off, even if you burn onions in in. Just scour and let it go natural. Natural is better anyway...

Great thread and since so much is discussed here I thought I would post my question here rather than start a new thread. Kind of keep everything together.

I love cast iron, for more reasons than just cooking :) We are one. I have mostly Lodge but also a very old Griswold and what I think might be a Wagner. I also have a large and heavy DeMeyere skillet that I absolutely love. I have a little non-stick aluminum pan from LOOK that I use for frying up an egg or two.

All these pans have one thing in common. NO RIVETS. I despise All-Clad, Calphalon and the others for their damn rivets. It looks like all the DuBuyer pans have rivets. Grrrr. That pic of the Alessi pan looks promising. Anyone know of any other brands of carbon steel pans that don't have rivets?

Thanks,

-AJ

I believe Vollrath carbon steel pans are welded, not riveted. I have never found one to see it in person. it seems like they are almost always sold through restaurant supply stores but the ones in my area don't have them.

According the the specs, the Vollrath pans are 16 gauge steel which should be lighter than even DeBuyer Force Blue line.

That Alessi pan appears to be a multi-ply clad pan, not a true carbon steel pan. I'll look into the Vollrath pan. Looks like Matfer might be a good candidate too. Any comments on how Matfer compares to the beloved DuBuyer?

Thanks,

-AJ

You can get flax oil at a health food store. It worked great on the cast iron, not so well on the carbon. Stripped it off and just put some vege oil on it and after 3 coats, and a small grease fire, my pan is now egg friendly.

I did the flaxseed oil coating my debyer pans. it looked great but has mostly come off on the inside of the pans and I am back to a natural seasoning. I would not bother doing this (flaxseed) with a new pan and would just season naturally with the oils that you cook with.

Just a heads up....

Cost Plus World Market has the 24 cm (9.5") de Buyer Force Blue on sale again for $19.99 (50% off) through the 13th.

James

Do you have a link? I can't find it on their site.

Latest posts

Back