Help - I HATE my omelet pan- the steel pan thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in my experience, the secret to a perfect omelet (i typically make French omelets, which are quickly ruined by sticking) is to use plenty of butter (i never use oil) to float the eggs on, and to constantly separate the edges until the omelet has set. i've made perfect omelets on a bunch of different pans, both straight sided and curved, stainless to cast iron. with butter and constant separation, temperature control is less important. it's technique, not equipment.

The temptation is to use butter, but it's jake at high heat so temper it with some cooking oil. Heat the pan until it's got that rippling shimmer, but the water in the butter isn't popping yet. It's a tricky sweet spot.

If the heat is too low, then you're gonna get some stick. Most proteins do this, that's why we preheat pans before putting steaks in 'em. But if it's crazy-balls hot, when you put the eggs in, the water contained inside is gonna just explode, which is also gonna give you some stick. Ideally, you want that moisture to make the eggs "puff up" but retain their protein structure, giving you bubbly eggs that are, really, just shallow frying on a layer of fat. Like Citizen said, it takes a good deal of practice to really nail it. Start to finish, your omelet should take about 15 seconds.

I use cast iron and carbon pans for almost everything, and could probably fire off an omelet on a piece of aluminum siding if I had to, but I still keep a cheap non-stick pan in the house for eggs. It just makes life easier.

Wait, I got more! ;)

Since it's all about controlling the temperature, which is gonna be hard enough using solid element heating, you want to minimize how much the pan cools when you introduce the eggs. As mentioned before in this thread, let them stand at room temperature for a bit before you start. Then tilt the pan to the side (so the fat forms a pool along the lip) and pour slowly into that, leveling the pan back out as you go. This will get the eggs cooking before they ever touch the pan, which will not only prevent them from sticking, but will also save your pan from a sudden drop in temperature.

in my experience, the secret to a perfect omelet (i typically make French omelets, which are quickly ruined by sticking) is to use plenty of butter (i never use oil) to float the eggs on, and to constantly separate the edges until the omelet has set. i've made perfect omelets on a bunch of different pans, both straight sided and curved, stainless to cast iron. with butter and constant separation, temperature control is less important. it's technique, not equipment.

apparently this was some seriously solid advice

omelets this morning were just about perfect (had a little brown spot where I had turned away for a second to wash a dish)
nice and fluffy, cooked through

i used my 10" pan instead of the 8" which seemed to help a lot too

apparently this was some seriously solid advice

omelets this morning were just about perfect (had a little brown spot where I had turned away for a second to wash a dish)
nice and fluffy, cooked through

i used my 10" pan instead of the 8" which seemed to help a lot too

Glad they worked out!

there is nothing like a good omelet. :) more than one way to get it done, too, which is part of the fun.

I have a very nice black steel pan from Alessi that set me back a ridiculous $80 (in 1990!)
w00t.gif
Others I bought at the time were $8-$15.

Frankly, the pans from Mauviel, DeBuyer, and Matfer-Bourgeat are every bit as good. I think they're more versatile that cast iron pans, which are wonderful.

Found a pic:
D1094_172401280746689.jpg

$112 is insane for a carbon pan.

Does anyone know what the difference between world cuisine heavy duty carbon frypan, Paderno, or de Bebuyer mineral is? It seems to me that the world cuisine (de Buyer's cheaper line???) and Paderno are about the same. Wondering if I should go with de Buyer mineral. I am looking for two pans, a 11 and a 14 inch. The de Buyer is about 30 more for each pan than the other two mentioned brands.

Also, to add another question, where do you guys shop for de Buyer?

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on Amazon. Someone mentioned that World Market carries them but I didn't see them when I was there last weekend. I think Williams Sonoma carries them as well, but I'm worried they're severely overpriced.

Does anyone else have any input on De Buyer's cheaper line vs. the mineral line? Should I just get the more expensive stuff and be done with it?

One never regrets buying quality............................

Does anyone know what the difference between world cuisine heavy duty carbon frypan, Paderno, or de Bebuyer mineral is? It seems to me that the world cuisine (de Buyer's cheaper line???) and Paderno are about the same. Wondering if I should go with de Buyer mineral. I am looking for two pans, a 11 and a 14 inch. The de Buyer is about 30 more for each pan than the other two mentioned brands.

Paderno is the manufacturer "World Cuisine" is their U.S. distributor. The Paderno and De Buyer pans are comparable in dimensions and the thickness of the steel. I have a De Buyer, but I have never seen a negative review of the Paderno. As far as the price difference, Paderno's are manufactured in China, De Buyer claim to be made in France.

I just checked prices and the De Buyer pans are considerably more expensive than when I got mine two years ago. You used to be able to get the 10" for about $30. The price has almost doubled.

Does anyone else have any input on De Buyer's cheaper line vs. the mineral line? Should I just get the more expensive stuff and be done with it?

The Force Blue and La Lyonnaise lines are cheaper. The main difference is that they are thinner gauge steel. The Mineral line are 2.5 to 3mm thick depending on the size of the pan. They are almost as heavy as cast iron.

If heat retention is important to you, go for the Mineral.

JB Prince but they are far from the cheapest, just convenient.

JB Prince may not be the cheapest, but they're not outrageous as some other specialty places are. Moreover, carbon steel pans are notoriously cheap and hard to sell, since the average person would avoid them like the plague. Only pro chefs and confirmed foodies even know about them, so they tend to fly under the radar and remain inexpensive. My favorite carbon steel crepe pan set me back a whopping $8, from Dean & DeLuca, no less- they're not exactly known for bargains!

Just got a debuyer 9.5 inch high wall force blue pan at world market for 20 + 25% off. Regular price 40. Tried the mineral debuyer at Williams sanoma and that baby was heavy. Debating whether to get the 12.5 pan. Maybe getting the thinner walled force blue or paderno.

Just got a debuyer 9.5 inch high wall force blue pan at world market for 20 + 25% off. Regular price 40. Tried the mineral debuyer at Williams sanoma and that baby was heavy. Debating whether to get the 12.5 pan. Maybe getting the thinner walled force blue or paderno.

I actually bought the exact same pan at Wolrd Market this weekend for exactly the same price. I've only used it a couple times but so far it's really nice!

It's normal for the seasoning to be really splotchy at first, right?

Yes- unless you want to go to some small effort to season it. I go outside to the BBQ get the pan and lard smoking hot, flip it upside down on the off side of the grill and close the cover, in 15 min or so flip it over back on the heat and repeat. do it 3-4 times and you should have a great seasoning.

Yes- unless you want to go to some small effort to season it. I go outside to the BBQ get the pan and lard smoking hot, flip it upside down on the off side of the grill and close the cover, in 15 min or so flip it over back on the heat and repeat. do it 3-4 times and you should have a great seasoning.

I did the pototo peel thing, then coated it canola oil and turned my stove on high and used the paper towel method like seasoning a wok. Then I cooked some homemade chorizo in it. However, when it was done it still wasn't very black, so I decided coat it in flaxseed oil and bake it in the oven 500* for an hour. Now it's black, but it's not totally even and there are blotchy shapes in the pan. I'm thinking I need to stop thinking about it and just use it and it will even out naturally over time.

This isn't my pan, but it's a picture on the net of something that sorta demonstrates what is going on with mine. I'm just trying to make sure I'm on the right path.

pancomp-1024x958.jpg

Mine was the same, I tried the peel, canola like the instructions said. Yes it gets blotchy. I guess I am going to use it more or do the lard thing like Jim said. From what I have read, regarding seasoning of cast iron, lard is the best.

I might go back to get another pan, BTW.

What is the unnamed de Buyer fry pan that Williams Sonoma carries online only? They have the Mineral (~$60), and an online-only "fry pan" with the same shape (not the Country Fry Pan) for ~$40.

What other brick and mortar stores sells these pans? I looked at World Market but I do not see de Buyer listed on their website.

The seasoning will become much more even with continued use. These are pans that are great if you use them all the time; not so great if used infrequently.

attachment.php

What is the unnamed de Buyer fry pan that Williams Sonoma carries online only? They have the Mineral (~$60), and an online-only "fry pan" with the same shape (not the Country Fry Pan) for ~$40.

What other brick and mortar stores sells these pans? I looked at World Market but I do not see de Buyer listed on their website.

They are probably Paderno pans and are similar to De Buyer, but usually $20.00-$40.00 less.

Those are the De Buyer "Force Blue" line. They are thinner gauge steel, 2mm thick vs 2.5-3mm for the mineral line.

I purchased a 12 inch frypan from a William Sonoma store and it's a Mineral 3mm.

I'm having some issues with mine sadly, a Debuyer mineral B. I used a thin layer of peanut oil on it, then but it into the oven on around 500 for about 1 hour. Made some bacon on it after that, and that turned out great and everything looked as I guess it should. Tried to wok some chicken strips on it the other day, and that was a total failure. The chicken stuck like it was on crazy clue... Not sure what I'm doing wrong, it's my first carbon pan.

Should I do something different to season it? Exchange the peanut oil with Crisco?

I'm having some issues with mine sadly, a Debuyer mineral B. I used a thin layer of peanut oil on it, then but it into the oven on around 500 for about 1 hour. Made some bacon on it after that, and that turned out great and everything looked as I guess it should. Tried to wok some chicken strips on it the other day, and that was a total failure. The chicken stuck like it was on crazy clue... Not sure what I'm doing wrong, it's my first carbon pan.

Should I do something different to season it? Exchange the peanut oil with Crisco?

Welcome to KKF Hanzo!

One trip to the heat with oil is more than likely not enough, I would strip it with oven cleaner and wipe down with bacon fat heat it up to 500, remove wipe down again and so forth every 15-20 min. Remember to flip it upsidedown so you get no pooling

Back