Henckels stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be extremely cautious with this kind of information. After all, the gentleman is a salesman as well.
The Naniwa Pro series are more recent than the Kramer's Choseras. Can't tell about the Kramer series. I know about differences between the NP's and the Choseras. For the ones I could compare — NOT the 5k, only know the Chosera — the NP are thinner, denser, even less susceptible to dishing, have no base and dry faster and more evenly. There's a minor downside to the NP's being slightly more likely to show glazing.
There’s absolutely no reason not to buy the NP3k. As you probably know, the end result it offers is in the JIS4k range. Which is all one needs or even far above with double-bevelled blades used in Western cuisine, including board contact.
What kind of improvement would you expect after this NP3k a Kramer 5k is supposed to offer?
What kind of steel is involved? Is it for deburring only? Do you care about a higher polish? Is it for use with single-bevelled blades?
With the budget a Kramer 5k requires a lot of alternatives are present.

Last edited:
The kind of improvement I am after over the NP3K with the Kramer is no cracking. I have had chosera crack. This makes them poor investment. I actually really like the chosera/pro 3K. I didn't feel any difference between them but a lot of years between the 3K chosera and the professional I used the 3K when I used to have a straight razor but sold it as a kit when I stopped using the straight razor, it had micro spider web cracks I did lap down a couple mm to make disappear.

I dont mind the nice polish the 5K Chosera produces, it is softer than the rest of the chosera range I think it is super stone soft. I am deeply disappointed with the spider cracking and now full crack in the 10K. If they did not crack I would not think twice about it.

I don't mind making the investment but I dont want to do it again in a few years time.

Steels vary mostly kitchen knives White#2 Blue#2 X55CrMo14/DIN 1.4110 SWIBO 52100 plus a few EDCs spiderco. Been eyeing off Elmax kitchen knife from a certain custom knife maker for awhile..

Back