D. Martell Hiromoto AS Sujihiki Thin & Etch

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dave - how thin are you getting these guys down to? like, is there a choil shot before and after?

Dave, i got the knife this morning. I know thursday is always a busy day so it's a good time to put it to work for sushi or sashimi. Slicing through tons of raw fish and it slice all of them like a melted butter. I feel it right away the performance of the blade increase significantly because of your thinning. It feels so light yet powerful to do the slice. It's no secret that hiro-AS takes screaming edge, and the best thing is it's only took me like 5 or 10 minutes to bring the edge to that level. The first time i touch the etching i was worried about the dragging effect.... but after i use it, i don't really feel it because the blade is so thin and sharp. For you guys that still undecided about hiro-AS group buy.... just go for it. After Dave thinning job, this knife blows anything on med-price level knife. The etching also make it looks like Bill Burke's cladding although i feel like it's comparing honda with ferrari.
IMG_20110818_162133.jpg

IMG_20110818_165254.jpg

IMG_20110818_173633.jpg

Rio

Nice sharpening job Rio! Looks like it's working out OK for you. I'm actually surprised that the etching didn't cause a problem with the raw fish but happy that's not the case. I did buff the blade lightly to smooth the texture so maybe that helped, who knows? Anyway, it's just good to see it's working for what you want it to do.

Thanks again for the work!

Dave

dave - how thin are you getting these guys down to? like, is there a choil shot before and after?

I don't have choil shots nor measurements since I never thought to take any. I can tell you that the edge is pushed as thin as I feel comfortable going. The whole blades gets thinned too but most of the work is done 1/2 way down that way I leave the spine thickness as close to stock as possible.

Man Dave, that looks really good! You did a great job with that!

hey dave,
how much would it cost to have you thin and etch a hiromoto that we already have?

Dang. Now that I have sent in two of my 240 knives to Dave, I am using my Hiro a lot more, but this looks super sexy. I'm thinking and thunking on this one.

k.

I haven't had a need for a hiro until now... thanks Dave.:dazed:

The thought of doing that on my Wa Suji (sporting a Stephan handle) would be outragous. But I worry about the way my cladding is on this knife if there may be trouble in the alteration.
DSC00072.jpg

DSC00073.jpg

This knife has large patches of missing cladding, leading me to think it is rather thin in areas. This is just how my knife was made, nothing that happened to it after I got it. Heck Dave you put the handle on back in the early days lol :p

Dave I would love to hear more on the cladding and paterns you have come across working with these knives. They are by far still my favorite production knife out there.

I should do another group buy? :D

Oh man... I did not see that. I do not need another suji just because the etched one looks so damned frickin' cool!

I don't normally read suji threads because I know sujis aren't really my thing. I figured I'd read this one because, hey, what's the harm? Damn. Thanks, Dave :p :)

Dave I would love to hear more on the cladding and paterns you have come across working with these knives. They are by far still my favorite production knife out there.

I agree. My hiro has a pretty boring cladding line (esp on one side). Does boring near the edge usually translate into boring after thinning?

k.

The 240mm gyutos usually come out crazy but then some don't. The sujis seem to be the least likely to give a good pattern of all the Hiros AS's but I'd bet that DC's older suji with thin cladding would look CRAZY if thinned and etched. I really never know what to expect and it's a crapshoot if you ask me.

Dave, thinning knives is very dangerous thing

for my wallet.

Dang, I wish I still had that Moritaka to send to Dave for thinning.

Might want to add a thinning and etching from Dave while you are thinking about it:)

Back