Holy Crap!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this price point, as mentioned else where, Laser cut, cnc parts, assembled and hand finished. These are my design, to my spec, but are higher tech involvement than what I'm branding as my pro series. These knives are using the same steel (CPM 154) and HT as my customs, but remember, more work I do on them, then more we have to charge.

These are not intended to compete with my pro series, or be custom friendly. What you see is what you get. These are intended to be high quality knives, at a price that is attainable by many more people.

Nice stuff. I need to have a few hundred blades made. Where do you get them done?

Originally Posted by Andrew H
That's what I assumed. They are also hand ground, yes?

To my understanding, a mid-tech knife is just like a custom knife except that the shape is cut out on a water jet cutting machine. This makes a blank similar to the blanks Jantz or any other knife supply shop sells. Pierre would then grind the profile, heat treat, polish etc etc.

The only thing he wouldn't be doing is cutting the shape of the knife out of a blank piece of steel.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
At this price point, as mentioned else where, Laser cut, cnc parts, assembled and hand finished. These are my design, to my spec, but are higher tech involvement than what I'm branding as my pro series. These knives are using the same steel (CPM 154) and HT as my customs, but remember, more work I do on them, then more we have to charge.

Pierre,
Forgive me if I am too dense to get it but does "hand finished" mean "hand ground"?
I hope you understand this question is due to your excellent grind reputation.

Thanks,
Glen

For this line Glen, they are being assembled by hand, and cleaned up/sharpened. There will not be any hand rubbed finish's. Majiority of materialwill be removed by CNC, then blended and finished on scotchbrite belts. They will mimic a hand rubbed finish, in the grindlines will be parallel to the spine (If cost permits) The value in this run, is the steel and HT.

For this line Glen, they are being assembled by hand, and cleaned up/sharpened. There will not be any hand rubbed finish's. Majiority of materialwill be removed by CNC, then blended and finished on scotchbrite belts. They will mimic a hand rubbed finish, in the grindlines will be parallel to the spine (If cost permits) The value in this run, is the steel and HT.

Thanks for laying it out for us, Pierre!

Thanks for laying it out for us, Pierre!

No problem. I just need to be clear on these. I was approached to design and provide a line of quality knives, that met a foreseen price point. We missed on the original pricing, but were able to source materials and facilities with better pricing, and still able to meet the quality levels I am striving to maintain. These knives will use CPM 154, with a salt bath HT and cryo finish (the same as my custom process) But because they are being done in large numbers, we are able to put them together, and pass the savings to the end customer. The price could have easily been higher, but these are not aimed at the custom folks, or high end knife nuts. More so in a work horse environment, be it a pro kitchen, or at home. Yet the look and feel of the knife, gives it more of a custom touch with the materials selected, mosaics, G10, and the steel itself.

I think that there is an area in the retail knife world for a line like this. There has been a lot of stigma attached to midtechs in the kitchen, which is odd, because there seems to be no issues buying an EDC, or tactical form company ABC that had it designed by Mr. J Doe, and pay $200 to $500 or more. I'm not sure where the separation is. But as I said, I believe there is a place in the market for knives like these.

I want to thank all of you who have shown enthusiasm, and interest in this project, and I am looking forward to getting some of these knives out there and put them to work!
Pierre

They look great!
And to further go with Pierre's point, how is a mid-tech any worse than a knife made by multiple people (most Japanese knives)? The answer is, when done properly, they aren't. A good mid-tech shoul always be as good as the QC allows, because the guy with his name attached to it is doing final QC. In the case of Pierre, his QC is second to none (in my opinion).

I remember when Pierre first started making knives, I was his rodman at the time, he would ask me to take a look at a knife he was near completed and ask me to pick it apart. He always is looking to make things better and improve on his work.

The Nose to Tail chef's is a beautiful knife, any chance of seeing an expanded line with wa handles?

Cheers,

So, maybe I missed it, but these will still have a convex/combo grind on the blade face, correct? Am I right in thinking it will be ground this way, and when it reaches you for the final touches and OK, you'll ensure the grind/f and f is all done correctly, otherwise it's fixed or sent back?

Yes, the blades are going to be convex ground, not hollow-convex like the Beta knife Salty has. F and F will be tight.

Gotcha! Thanks, Pierre. :)
It'll be cool to see who first gets one, from here.

They look great!
And to further go with Pierre's point, how is a mid-tech any worse than a knife made by multiple people (most Japanese knives)? The answer is, when done properly, they aren't. A good mid-tech shoul always be as good as the QC allows, because the guy with his name attached to it is doing final QC. In the case of Pierre, his QC is second to none (in my opinion).

Totally agree, I have no problems with mid techs.
I believe mid techs, when done under tight scrutiny as it appears here, gives many more people the chance to sample the original makers handiwork.
Since the machine finishing mimics Pierre's hand grind, this should be an quality knife.
I'm giving the Gyuto very serious consideration

Best of luck,
Glen

This project makes a lot of sense for all the reasons Pierre laid out. I can't imagine spending full custom $$ on a boning or fillet knife that I would only use infrequently. But $215 for a knife that Pierre designed and signed off on? Beats the hell out of spending comparable money on a Henckels.

Back