Honyaki polishing projects - A portfolio of my WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baby honyaki project is done and it was a really fun one!

For this one I really focused on bringing out the whitish pearlite. So I did 3 cycles of FeCl3 and I carefully polished to keep this beautiful contrast. It's really to my taste and I'm super happy with the result. The only thing left to do is the handle, I'm waiting for the wood that my girlfriend chose.

View attachment 280558

So today I can move on to the piece de resistance, the 195mm honyaki Santoku in W2 steel!

I made a small announcement elsewhere but me and @MSicardCutlery are going to collaborate together for the honyaki blades. I simply love his work and to own one of his knives, it's a downright joy to use. I still smile when I cut a carrot..

It has been a dream for a long time to be able to “associate” myself with someone who makes such beautiful blades and to then be able to sell the result of our respective passions. This Santoku is gonna be the first one, and I'm sure it won't be the last!

View attachment 280559

That hamon is simply amazing..
What an awesome collaboration. Can't wait to see the results! My first custom MSicard is currently in progress and I'm super excited for it.

Beautiful Julien, really!
Thanks Matt! Just wait for this Santoku.. 🤤
What an awesome collaboration. Can't wait to see the results! My first custom MSicard is currently in progress and I'm super excited for it.
Ohh! Congrats man 🙂 There is something exciting about having a personalized knife as well as encouraging a person's passion. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it 👌

Everything is going so well for the Santoku honyaki! I get Matt's knives on a 320 grit finish and progress from there. The result in the video is 4k diamond paste, that's where I stop before etching.

This hamon is truly incredible and I can't wait to have fun showcasing it..

It's always challenging to showcase what my eyes can see and to demonstrate what I whant, but there's absolutely no line or scratches on this polish. I'm quite proud of. With etching it will define the surface even better by nibbling away micro defects. I will then have at least 3 polishing cycles left with the 5k paste and the final touch with the 14k.

The polishing of the blade is finally finished and I must say that it is the most beautiful result I have ever done. There are no scratches on the mirror and the pearlite is iridescent white. It's really superb.. This is the finest polish I can pull out I'm really proud that I was able to elevate my work to this level for this beautiful blade from Matt.

The first honyaki from our collaboration with @MSicardCutlery will go on sale starting tomorrow. I will I don't think he'll be without a family for long! If you want more details, just contact me via DM.

This is some really good stuff! 👌🏼👍🏼 You’re making me want to do more mirror polishing but I just don’t have the time for it now sadly…🥹
Thanks! I hear you.. I work full time polishing and sharpening and I often feel like I don't have enough time. But you could start a project and put in an hour a week slowly ☺️

Today I'm having fun doing tests on my good old first honyaki blade. Because it's not the time to try things when it's for a real project. Here the goal is not to see the perfection of the polishing (because I use this blade for lots of tests and the surface is no longer perfect at all) but to refine my technique in terms of etching control.

So today I'm trying to do a reverse polish (I don't remember the term in Japanese) by whitening the martensite and brightening the pearlite. In the video it is the quick result which took me 30 minutes. I think it's a good base. But I think I'm going to have to use citric acid to mute down the mirror effect at the top of the hamon. I kind of like this strong contrast too... It's hard to choose and which direction I want to go!

I particularly like how the nioi is highlighted and with an angle of 45°, it's really pleasant to look at. I think this kind of polish goes well with a blade that doesn't have an ashi, like this one. To go further, I think the ideal conditions would be a gunome or notare shape. What do you think? Yay or nay?

I refined the finish a little and mainly used a mixture of lemon juice and vitamin C to play more subtly with the etching. I think the result comes out really well! The contrast is still quite intense but I think that's how I like it. No need to set the blade at 45° to appreciate nioi, it almost looks like it’s backlit 😜

I refined the finish a little and mainly used a mixture of lemon juice and vitamin C to play more subtly with the etching. I think the result comes out really well! The contrast is still quite intense but I think that's how I like it. No need to set the blade at 45° to appreciate nioi, it almost looks like it’s backlit 😜

View attachment 284814
I like this more than a full mirror honyaki. The contrast at the hamon is unreal.

I like this more than a full mirror honyaki. The contrast at the hamon is unreal.
Thanks man! But to bring out the ashi this is not the best way to do it. I already asked @MSicardCutlery to make a gyuto with a gunome hamon (without ashi) so that I could produce this kind of finish. It could be reallly awesome!

And by asking him, I mean that I'm going to have to forcefully convince him to find time because I've already ordered him 6 blades. From today I decree that his nights of sleep are now 5 hours maximum 🤓

Working on a lovely @Kippington honyaki gyuto and everything goes smoothly so far. The biggest challenge was to keep that stamp because it's shallow. But I think it was successful and the etch shouldn't take away too much. The final polishing will be with mirror martensite and whitish pearlite. I can't wait to see the result 🙂

Working on a lovely @Kippington honyaki gyuto and everything goes smoothly so far. The biggest challenge was to keep that stamp because it's shallow. But I think it was successful and the etch shouldn't take away too much. The final polishing will be with mirror martensite and whitish pearlite. I can't wait to see the result 🙂

View attachment 289940
Stunning!

I'm sure the new owners of the Togashi Honyaki's are subscribed to this thread. Not sure I could trust myself on such a premium blade.

And there you have it, the last honyaki polishing of 2023 is complete! It was really nice to pamper this gyuto from @Kippington. I really enjoy doing this kind of polishing and I hope to be able to do even more in 2024. On the project table, I already have two more honyaki blades to do. It's going to be a great start to the year!

Happy New Year to everyone and thank you again for keeping this forum alive. It's always nice to read you and chat with you. Have fun and stay safe!

5084077C-C880-4D2C-86D8-0896B25AB961.jpeg_JUL4981.jpg
777427AD-414E-49C5-915E-8A702018DE36.jpeg56AF38F6-ACCF-4DE1-B4A6-F3E795408DB3.jpeg
A6D1EB03-3343-402F-ABB5-C4DA3064E3BA.jpegDBC66C87-B3FB-435E-8F9E-7FD325A0B7C6.jpegE310718F-1C27-4479-BDC0-97A8063EFE8C.jpegD675E877-1B8C-436C-A80E-B0502D9F9F4B.jpeg
138A70C3-5E1C-4858-8E3B-B61EB02A44BE.jpeg1C788589-707C-4F7A-BCBB-58D16B05700C.jpeg

And there you have it, the last honyaki polishing of 2023 is complete! It was really nice to pamper this gyuto from @Kippington. I really enjoy doing this kind of polishing and I hope to be able to do even more in 2024. On the project table, I already have two more honyaki blades to do. It's going to be a great start to the year!

Happy New Year to everyone and thank you again for keeping this forum alive. It's always nice to read you and chat with you. Have fun and stay safe!

View attachment 290423View attachment 290434
View attachment 290426View attachment 290432
View attachment 290427View attachment 290428View attachment 290425View attachment 290430
View attachment 290429View attachment 290431
Wewhhhhhhhhoooeeee

I really enjoy following your projects and with such a set of skills as yours. It’s an absolute pleasure to look a the results.
Happy new year and keep up the formidable work.

Back