Honyaki polishing projects - A portfolio of my WIP

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some banding action from this steel Sheffcut from @MSicardCutlery ! I was surprised to see this after the etch, pleasantly surprised!

On this gyuto I'm doing reverse polishing, I think I've been looking forward to doing this for two months! Pearlite will be bright and the martensite whiter. I'll see if I can keep some detail in the steel..

I want to preserve the banding as much as possible and by wanting to play with reverse polishing, here is where I am! It's totally different from what I'm used to doing but... I like it! It's a bit like a kasumi on a honyaki blade..

I want to preserve the banding as much as possible and by wanting to play with reverse polishing, here is where I am! It's totally different from what I'm used to doing but... I like it! It's a bit like a kasumi on a honyaki blade..

View attachment 291031
Absolutely wild, man. That's my favorite one you've done. The hamon looks like it's popping off the blade!

It's been a long time but I currently have a project almost done. There is still a little touch up to do but the polishing project is finished! I'm going to install the "funky" handle tomorrow.

This one have a weird hamon pattern but who cares, it was a fun project and it's gonna perform well anyway. I'm gonna keep this one for myself, I will have to adapt to a length of 250mm 😱

Can’t wait to see it with a handle! I’ve never seen a hamon with so much activity, not to mention the unique shape 🤩
For the handle I went with the hamon vibe and I went funky..maybe too much haha. Here's a little preview!

77A02325-9499-4CB1-BD22-7108D131829C.jpeg

It’s like a river overflowing, looks nice!
Great job as always

Here is the result of my most recent polishing project. This is a 250mm gyuto in W2 steel made by @MSicardCutlery . This is a hamon that is quite unique but ultimately came out well with some magnificent ashi. Since this knife was rather unique, I went funky with the handle too! It's weru burl, buckeye burl end cap and a synthetic opal spacer.

The handle is honestly halfway between me loving it and not liking it. It's weird! In any case, as with all my knives, I will probably change the handle in less than two weeks 😉

The next project is already underway and it will be a 250mm gyuto honyaki but this time with 26c3 steel. From what I see of the photos, the hamon is going to be magnificent... to be continued!

09FB6983-1540-4BCE-86DE-6A500339208E.jpeg63633A2B-A8CE-45D6-9DFE-5FE85042F1B2.jpeg
55410904-0A7B-4339-8AD1-707EF5C711C8.jpeg464F4C34-F0ED-41A1-9DB5-402E5C9F5308.jpeg
722E81ED-4BD1-42BF-A652-1734376C97C5.jpeg09D302FF-7627-4401-936B-06476D21D877.jpeg
26EB3535-7B67-4C0D-8CC2-D41536A8EA19.jpeg0BCA4A38-BF3B-4D6E-9D5D-4A17670FAB2F.jpeg0022A4B5-96C5-4BA5-962C-992612772FED.jpeg3D4D0B38-2E0C-41C3-957A-E2EF52A8A78F.jpeg

Here is the result of my most recent polishing project. This is a 250mm gyuto in W2 steel made by @MSicardCutlery . This is a hamon that is quite unique but ultimately came out well with some magnificent ashi. Since this knife was rather unique, I went funky with the handle too! It's weru burl, buckeye burl end cap and a synthetic opal spacer.

The handle is honestly halfway between me loving it and not liking it. It's weird! In any case, as with all my knives, I will probably change the handle in less than two weeks 😉

The next project is already underway and it will be a 250mm gyuto honyaki but this time with 26c3 steel. From what I see of the photos, the hamon is going to be magnificent... to be continued!

View attachment 305857View attachment 305858
View attachment 305862View attachment 305863
View attachment 305859View attachment 305864
View attachment 305860View attachment 305861View attachment 305865View attachment 305866
Man…this is just bad. And I mean terrible! What were you thinking??! You should immediately discard this knife to not embarrass yourself!

Discard this now at a specific trash can located in Philadelphia that I’ll DM you about 🤣

Man…this is just bad. And I mean terrible! What were you thinking??! You should immediately discard this knife to not embarrass yourself!

Discard this now at a specific trash can located in Philadelphia that I’ll DM you about 🤣
haha you made me laugh with your comment! My plane ticket is purchased, I'm coming Nick!

It's been a long time but I currently have a project almost done. There is still a little touch up to do but the polishing project is finished! I'm going to install the "funky" handle tomorrow.

This one have a weird hamon pattern but who cares, it was a fun project and it's gonna perform well anyway. I'm gonna keep this one for myself, I will have to adapt to a length of 250mm 😱

View attachment 305722
@MSicardCutlery Do you not put your makers signature on the tang of your honyaki? I always like the idea of being able to identify who made a knife regardless of how much time passes, or thinnings have occurred.

@MSicardCutlery Do you not put your makers signature on the tang of your honyaki? I always like the idea of being able to identify who made a knife regardless of how much time passes, or thinnings have occurred.

Usually yes, but not when I send them to Julien. He receives them at a 320 grit finish and goes up from there, and between the progression to a mirror and the etching cycles it's better not to have it applied.

I already asked Matt about putting it on the tang! @MSicardCutlery you see, I'm not crazy man! 😜 For real it could be an awesome idea and a nice little touch 👌

About time you keep a properly sized gyuto
Just because you like that little face, just for you man 😘 (someone is currently interested to buy it so maybe I keep playing with my kids knives

Attachments

• 3F238551-A020-4965-B040-DADAFBB9AF8B.jpeg
    3F238551-A020-4965-B040-DADAFBB9AF8B.jpeg
    11.9 KB · Views: 0
I already asked Matt about putting it on the tang! @MSicardCutlery you see, I'm not crazy man! 😜 For real it could be an awesome idea and a nice little touch 👌
And I told you!!!!!! there isn't space.

If we're gonna argue like this man, I want a honeymoon or at least a ring

You know what I do when I don't have projects? I practice. I try things, new techniques and I try to constantly improve. This honyaki blade allows me to have fun and above all to make mistakes to learn better before tackling a real project.

Yesterday I did about 8 hours of testing, 6 of which were unsuccessful. But the result that I have just obtained is really to my liking. Like A LOT! Can't wait to start my next project which is a 250mm gyuto mizu honyaki 😌

This is dope. Its like an inverse polish.
It is indeed reverse polishing! But the more I look at katanas for inspiration the more I realize that this is often how the blades are polished. From what I can understand this polishing is Sashikomi style but in a hybrid way.

It is indeed reverse polishing! But the more I look at katanas for inspiration the more I realize that this is often how the blades are polished. From what I can understand this polishing is Sashikomi style but in a hybrid way.
Not an expert on sword polishing, just learning like you ; but I think your finish is closer to Hadori.
To my understanding, Sashikomo finish is a finish respectfull of the natural finish from the stones : you work the all blade with uchigumori hato, then Jigane (not harden) with Jito (but as a bench stone you will touch hard steel a little too), then you work with hazuya to give a nice color (hazy white) to hagane (hard steel), then use jizuya to color jigane with a darker color, finer scratch pattern. Then you will use jitekko nugui on all the blade to make the traditionnal Sashikomi finissh. Steel will be bright hazy white and not harden steel will look darker and finer but the finish will look mostly natural with light contrast.

For hadori, you work hato on all the blade, jito on unhardened part, jizuya on unhardened part, then kanahada nugui on unharneded part and you will finally finish with hazuya on the hard steel to make Hadori. This will make huge contrast and somewhat less natural finish but will show make the blade hamon pop strongly.

Not an expert on sword polishing, just learning like you ; but I think your finish is closer to Hadori.
To my understanding, Sashikomo finish is a finish respectfull of the natural finish from the stones : you work the all blade with uchigumori hato, then Jigane (not harden) with Jito (but as a bench stone you will touch hard steel a little too), then you work with hazuya to give a nice color (hazy white) to hagane (hard steel), then use jizuya to color jigane with a darker color, finer scratch pattern. Then you will use jitekko nugui on all the blade to make the traditionnal Sashikomi finissh. Steel will be bright hazy white and not harden steel will look darker and finer but the finish will look mostly natural with light contrast.

For hadori, you work hato on all the blade, jito on unhardened part, jizuya on unhardened part, then kanahada nugui on unharneded part and you will finally finish with hazuya on the hard steel to make Hadori. This will make huge contrast and somewhat less natural finish but will show make the blade hamon pop strongly.

I'm trying to read a lot more on the subject and it's sometimes difficult to precisely describe a technique since I don't work with natural stones like you. Hence the hybrid way! On the other hand, I now know more what I want and I concentrate my energy and my tests on controlling the coloring of the steel and trying to have a good visual balance. This is so much the most interesting and fun part of polishing for me 🙂

The reference to sashikomi is more from the nugui mixture with different natural stone powder I now use for different stages of the polish. I tried this with other type of nioiguchi and depending on the steel/quench the results can be yawarakai (soft) or akarui (bright).

60DB1BC1-A216-4B7B-BCE0-4491F25DDE8C.jpeg2757E4E1-99FE-4BB7-8D1E-6B8A4966EB6A.jpeg

These two photos are the same knife but with a different polishing technique. It's crazy how much creative freedom can really influence the end result! I still have so much to discover and things to try because it's only been 8 months since I started polishing honyaki blades. Merci pour tes explications Milan ☺️

I'm trying to read a lot more on the subject and it's sometimes difficult to precisely describe a technique since I don't work with natural stones like you. Hence the hybrid way! On the other hand, I now know more what I want and I concentrate my energy and my tests on controlling the coloring of the steel and trying to have a good visual balance. This is so much the most interesting and fun part of polishing for me 🙂

The reference to sashikomi is more from the nugui mixture with different natural stone powder I now use for different stages of the polish. I tried this with other type of nioiguchi and depending on the steel/quench the results can be yawarakai (soft) or akarui (bright).

View attachment 308080View attachment 308081

These two photos are the same knife but with a different polishing technique. It's crazy how much creative freedom can really influence the end result! I still have so much to discover and things to try because it's only been 8 months since I started polishing honyaki blades. Merci pour tes explications Milan ☺️
You get really beautiful results anyway !
I think for traditionnal polish hagane will always be quite hazy, even sashikomi, but honestly I am not really sure as I saw Hadori on a sword from my eyes, but not sashikomi.
Very interesting how much difference in term of finish you get on the same blade ! I am myself just starting to put a toe in honyaki finish and making. Your work is very inspiring even if you're only at the beginning of it

Just from reading this, I feel overwhelmed! it puts in perspective the skill, effort, and time to get a beautiful finish on a knife.

Your work is very inspiring even if you're only at the beginning of it
Merci beaucoup Milan! Coming from you it means a lot to me. I think it's a bit like you and your knives. You seem to be trying to get out of your comfort zone and always try new things, and that's also inspiring to see. I’m really looking forward to seeing what happens next with your honyaki blades 🙂

Just from reading this, I feel overwhelmed! it puts in perspective the skill, effort, and time to get a beautiful finish on a knife.
It's a bit crazy yes, in the sense that I consider a knife should be used. But at least the geometry is not lost and if the person wants to redo the finish later it will still be with much less effort. It makes me think of gourmet restaurants and the magnificent presentations they can make on their plates. It doesn't directly change the taste but it enhances the experience so much and allows you to have a special moment. I see polishing a bit like that! It's fleeting, like many things in life.

Back