Honyaki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(IMHO) Mine is a good knife, well worth the $$$ I spent. I really don't give 2 $h1ttz if some guy banged on it with a hammer or not. That does not make it of more or less value(to me). Can anyone tell me about a sharper stainless single bevel?
FYI, marketing had absoltutely nothing to do with my purchase.

So....this thread has derailed a bit from when I originally asked the question a month ago. No worries...there is a lot of great debate here. Rather than debate whether a specific maker stretches the intended definition of the word, I was trying to understand if Honyaki knives were revered in a particular way, and if such reverence was based on performance or simply love/respect for the craft that produced them. Ultimately, I sought to understand what a trained sushi chef might hold in highest regard. I have a dear friend who partnered with a chef to open a restaurant - they are approaching their second anniversary and my family would love to give the chef a special gift. Having said that I don't want to do something stupid. I'd link the restaurant and/or the chef's profile but I suspect that might not be OK per forums rules.

kcma, on foodie forums, has more than once said that he gets a sharper edge on honyaki yanagis than he does on clad knives. i've only used one honyaki knife (a Monzaburo gyuto i was lucky enough to borrow), and i did get a sharp edge on it, but no sharper than my Shig or Takedas or whatever.

Lurking.gif

Moderators will obviously have the final say, but I think it's legit to link to restaurants et al. The guy's not running a knife business out of the delivery entrance in the back, is he?

I'm sorry I got a little grumpy. I'm just trying to stand up for a steel that I believe in.
We still have no confirmation on the forging process to either back or dismiss Suisin's Honyaki name. The only other line of knives that are 19C27 that I know of are the R1chm0nd Ultimatum, and I have not read up or heard any product reviews -yet. And we all know -fo sho-that this is not a hand(or human) forged blade.
Thanks Gator for being 100% subjective when I was defensive. I am a fan of your site, your work and all your contributions. To answer the "why did I buy" my Suisin IH......well, I was going to go Gesshin Hide Blue #2, but Jon sold out the day I was ordering. In retrospect, I am happy with it especially for it's stainless properties. I have a couple sushi chef friends who also have the same usuba and love it. The lady from the health dept. is keen on them as well. So marketing (true or otherwise) played little factor in my purchase.

NP, I was also defending knives/hard work, never meant to put down your favorite pieces :)
Marketing can be, or to be precise is transitory too...

AEB-L isn't that unusual; sakai yusuke, takayuki grand chef, DT ITK to name a few....

The recent price hike has put these Suisin into an unrealistic price range for me....

...The recent price hike has put these Suisin into an unrealistic price range for me....

Sadly, it's really not really a price hike- it's just another example of the US dollar's reduced purchasing power in a global market. (I know the end result is still the same when your pay is denominated in dollars.)

I think it unlikely that a blade entirely forged to shape, has not been trimmed back at all. Trimming presses seem a popular way to trim back the tang to the correct fit. For me I would only forge to shape entirely when I am working from a larger chunk of material. If working thin sheet, it is just not practical to entirely forge the blade, so I would partially cut it out, and forge the taper in.

Back