Media Horror Show

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its never funny! Just losing your tools to someone playing around (no matter the cost) can throw you off. Ask a mechanic what he would do if he found out who took his tools. I bet it is a lot worse than what a chef with his knifes would do. Or ask a gunsmith. But most cooks make fun of their tools. (in the us.)

Some people don't get it. Ive asked people not to do certain things with my knives and they just say "What's it going to do to your knife" and do it anyways. Point being they didn't pay for the tools so they shouldn't use them improperly or without permission. These are guys that use $20 p.o.s. knives generally or don't work in the kitchen and think "wow! That's a nice knife"

So what is up with pro kitchens? Are all knife bags considered to be house knives?

Jay

GOOD LORD NO! You don't touch my stuff, and I don't touch yours unless you ask. And when you use it you better bring it back clean and not damaged. I have seen a cook borrow a knife, let another cook use it, then the dishwasher send it through the machine. This is why no one uses my stuff anymore.

Tonight I was in the office for a bit, came out to find my knives in a different place where I left them and the tip was broken off my Konosuke Fujiyama. Only a couple mm but I was still pretty pissed off. I asked the banquet chef who was standing right next to them what happened and his answer was "I don't know" ....... shoemaker

Dont have any misconceptions about my kitchen. Its union and some of the staff has been there for 20yrs. Everyday is like trying to herd cats. All the great stuff we're doing is b/c the Exec, Chef d'cuisine, and fellow sous bust ass.

A couple days ago one of the line guys was "chiffonading" parsely with a dull scimitar.

GOOD LORD NO! You don't touch my stuff, and I don't touch yours unless you ask. And when you use it you better bring it back clean and not damaged. I have seen a cook borrow a knife, let another cook use it, then the dishwasher send it through the machine. This is why no one uses my stuff anymore.

+1

One coworker hid my knife and my phone from me one day. As soon as I found it, I walked out for the day. Never happened again.

You walked out mid shift because some pranked you a little bit, and you were able to keep your job?

You mean "are all knives cooks bring in considered communal property"? Maybe by some tools and d-bags, but I give every new person a stern talking to, especially the dishwasher. I tell them what's what, I show them my knives, let them use them to show them how well they work, and then show them how many knives and knife-related things I have on my person every day(it's a lot). They generally end up laughing or staring with their eyebrows raised, but they don't touch my knives.

One coworker hid my knife and my phone from me one day. As soon as I found it, I walked out for the day. Never happened again.
Seems overly dramatic to me.

Just to refresh this thread a little, I sharpened all my knives the other day on the new 5k Chosera I bought, and today was the first day I had used them since being sharpened. One of my co-workers cut a cake on a metal tray with my Konosuke so the thing is useless now, much much blunter now than it was before I sharpened it. Rather than using one of the dozens of beater knives or bread knives, someone decided they just had to cut a cake with a 270 Western rehandled Konosuke with its nicely polished edge! Why do I bother......

And people think we are nuts because we don't want them to touch our stuff. I've got a few crap knives I leave out for the non-believers.

Dont have any misconceptions about my kitchen. Its union and some of the staff has been there for 20yrs. Everyday is like trying to herd cats.

I had no idea there was such a thing as a kitchen Union.

Ya hospitality unions are everywhere. Some are worth the time but most well.... I grew up in a union family and used to be "proud" to be union. Until I seen a few bad ones that just tried to put the employer out of business.

From what I've read about unions, they can be so much for the workers that they end up putting everyone out of a job because the company can no longer compete.

On the other side of things, they are also often the only protection an employee has against an overbearing/malicious boss that is trying to cut corners, save money, or just get rid of you with no regard to protocol or fair means.

The right wing machine produces propaganda against unions because the money hates worker empowerment.

It wasn't only my knives, that was a PITA, it was that the knife stealing led to stealing my phone from right under me. That's not a prank, it cut off the only line of communication between my wife and kids and me. My daughter has been rushed to the hospital twice while I was on shift and figured they'd be fine at home.

Can't fire him, so I vote with my feet. The other alternative was to introduce him to the floor a few times. Which would you prefer, one man missing, or full staff with one half dead?

The idea that an employer owns you while at work never made sense to me. My family comes way, way, way before my job.

The idea that an employer owns you while at work never made sense to me. My family comes way, way, way before my job.

Struggling with this right now with my work. Salary doesn't mean I will be at work around the clock. They take that to mean a lack of passion and love for my work. Can't a person have passions and interests outside of work... like family?

When did passion and love of the job become a euphemism for 'slave labor'?

Sorry- rant over.

The right wing machine produces propaganda against unions because the money hates worker empowerment.

That's pretty narrowminded Spike. I grew up in a Teamster family and am still amazed by the crap they used to pull! If I was the boss I would have fired my own father.

Ever work with local 100 in NYC? Most of the chefs that I know that employ union labor spend most of the day dealing with BS grievance paperwork than anything else.

Even in my situation, I need to have a paper trail a mile long along with several smoking guns just to get someone counseled, never mind fired.

I bought a knife roll with extra space so when I replace more of my wusthofs I can keep them there for loaners, I don't want to pass off a $250+ blade when we have 75 cooks going and get it back merked if at all. I work in a Union Kitchen currently and it's both a good and bad thing. Can get our time off, over time. better job security and all but at the same time people abuse it a lot. People have pulled no shows to drink several days in a row on me, used a b.s. excuse and are still employed. That was fun :)

Wow, it just really blows me away that there seems to be this unique breakdown in respect for someone else's property in kitchens. Do you think that it has to do with the close quarters and not having your own space? Or just a general American culture that doesn't even register knives as tools/anything of value.

I know that the Japanese culture has very strict rules and that a Chef will not let anyone other than his own apprentice touch his knives.

I may have told this story before:
My family knows how I am about knives, but a couple years back when I was visiting home, my little sister thought that it would be a funny to sneak into my knife bag and use one of my knives while I was out. She was planning to make it obvious so that I would know and freak out.

Well, she did make it obvious: she cut about 1/4" off the tip of her thumb, nail and all. -Just missed the bone. She had a square thumb for about 7mo till it grew back out.
For some reason my mom wrapped up the thumb tip and put it in the freezer (maybe she thought that it could be re-attached or re-animated later like Walt Disney's head), but she forgot about it in the commotion. Months later, I came across the frost covered wad of paper towel with the tiny, freeze dried bit of thumb-tip. I glued it to the tip of a broken screwdriver and proceeded to poke my sister with it, saying "quit poking yourself! " (we've all got a pretty a pretty morbid sense of humor.)

Anyway, my sister continued to mess with my stuff, but never touched my knives again. However, it actually sparked her interest in quality knives and very sharp things. The next time they went on sale, I bought her her own copy of the knife that she still calls "the thumb knife" and it became her first good knife.

Justin,

Sorry to disappoint, but Walt Disney was cremated in 1966 and his ashes were dispersed in the Forest Lawn Cemetery. He, nor any part of him, was ever frozen by a cryogenic method or any other. I am a Disney fan and find this "urban legend" to be quite entertaining.

chefwatson.

Justin,

Sorry to disappoint, but Walt Disney was cremated in 1966 and his ashes were dispersed in the Forest Lawn Cemetery. He, nor any part of him, was ever frozen by a cryogenic method or any other. I am a Disney fan and find this "urban legend" to be quite entertaining.

chefwatson.

OH :no:!!! Really?
Next you're going to tell me that all that stuff about the hidden sexual messages is also one of these "urban legend" things. Why don't you just go ahead and ruin :crying: EVERYTHING! :crying:

Justin your family sounds pretty great.
Thanks man, they are!

To keep from taking this thread too far OT, here's what I picture when I look at some of the horror photo's in this thread and wonder "how the hell did someone manage to do that much damage?"
[video=youtube_share;vqAZBtVGGF8]http://youtu.be/vqAZBtVGGF8[/video]
or this (NSFW):
[video=youtube_share;hvWSzIS0bfY]http://youtu.be/hvWSzIS0bfY[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Justin,

chefwatson.

What's that you say? There is no grave or corpse for us to check up on?

HOW CONVENIENT.

:p

Back