How many knives do you have?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VincenteFox

Reaction score
Feel free to break down by type or size. I see so many people with a bunch with a whole selection of just a specific type of knife in a specific size or knives by a specific smith, etc. Or, people selling knives they never used, and it got me curious how large people's collections are!

Double bevel knives:

[2] ~150mm: Masahiro HC Honesuki; Munetoshi Petty

[3] 210mm: Gesshin Ginga W#2 Petty; Shun Kaji SG2 Gyuto; Marko 52100 Petty

[4] 240mm: Gesshin Hide W#2 Gyuto; Sukenari ZDP-189 Gyuto; Mazaki W#2 from first run @ JNS; Catcheside 1.2442 Forged Gyuto

[3] 270mm: Gesshin Ginga W#2 Gyuto; Marko 52100 Gyuto, Gengetsu W#2 Suji

Single bevel (all left handed):

[1] ~150mm: Yoshihiro W#2 Deba

[2] 210mm: Gesshin Uraku W#2 Usuba; Masamoto KA B#2 Usuba

[2] 270mm Gesshin Uraku W#2 Yanagiba and 300mm Masamoto KH B#2 Yanagiba

I've burned through or given away 5 other knives in the last decade. There are a few more floating around the house, plus my wife's knives (who used to cook professionally) which number close to 10 or so. The Marko 210mm petty sees the most use at home. Shun 210mm gyuto and 240mm Sukenari have seen the most use in professional kitchens. The single beveled Masamotos were a gift from a Chef that I worked for and are my most treasured :)

Last edited:
Yeah the answer is definatly wayyy too much. Gotta do some more giveaways for some of these ( maybe comment what knives you guys are interested). the knives behind the second picture are all either rusty or broken knives I've collected from japan that I sharpen, renew and give to people or use. It all kinda began as a hobby. As a Japanese resturant owner I sometimes help out in the store and cook for the customer when I felt like it. ( the ones with handle are my mainly used ones, there's probably about 10 more that I haven't shown that I actually use) And some knives I have them for collection since they're way too precious ( like fuji honyaki, don't really want to scratch the surface)
IMG_9804.JPG
7d4c76f2646444608658944f078548db.JPG

IMG_9832.JPG
IMG_9838.JPG
IMG_9833.JPG

I feel like I'm approaching D.

Core is 7 with one for sale and on the books for another. Plus beater, bread and paring.

Only have the feeling that I need to add one more - feeling like I need to add a square of some sort.

I currently have 2. The way my knife addiction works is I rarely ever pay out of pocket for new knives and it’s an endless cycle of flipping because I have zero patience to wait 1 year + on waiting lists and my wife’s head would explode if I spent 1k out of pocket for a knife haha.

HF wrought and my beater Shibazi are the last ones standing..

For now (lol).

23 total:

10 gyuto (2x210, 1x220, 1x230, 6x240)

4 nakiri
3 bunka
1 santoku
1 sabaki
1 chinese cleaver
1 bread knife
1 western butcher (sabaki has replaced it mostly)
1 meat/bone cleaver

I plan to sell 1 nakiri, 1 bunka, and maybe 2 240s. Everything else I'm sentimental about still :(

Several dozen knives.
Most of them aren't fancy or made by artisanal makers. Old rusty vintage American/German/French/Japanese/Chinese, restaurant supply stuff, and specialized chef gear. Butcher knives, fillet knives, carving knives, shellfish shuckers, etc.
Several hundred straight razors. Mostly utilitarian as well.
I like to have projects around and I like to give knives and razors as gifts to friends and family and coworkers and students.

I currently have 2. The way my knife addiction works is I rarely ever pay out of pocket for new knives and it’s an endless cycle of flipping because I have zero patience to wait 1 year + on waiting lists and my wife’s head would explode if I spent 1k out of pocket for a knife haha.

HF wrought and my beater Shibazi are the last ones standing..

For now (lol).
Mine let a denka slip by as the “last one”. That was 4 years and about 15 knives ago. Oops.

I feel crazy having a wall lined with knives, and then I see some of the collections on here and decide I need more.

Several dozen knives.
Most of them aren't fancy or made by artisanal makers. Old rusty vintage American/German/French/Japanese/Chinese, restaurant supply stuff, and specialized chef gear. Butcher knives, fillet knives, carving knives, shellfish shuckers, etc.
Several hundred straight razors. Mostly utilitarian as well.
I like to have projects around and I like to give knives and razors as gifts to friends and family and coworkers and students.
Similar situation here. It's almost like have 3 generations. There is a box with my camping gear, think low-end culinary school kit kinda stuff; then there is the kit I built when I worked BOH, mostly Wusthof, a couple Misono molys, and some odds and ends; and finally there is a decent # of Japanese knives I've somehow collected since the start of the plague. I seem to be past the 'acquisition phase' as I am rather content with what I have, and am considering letting some go.

Yeah the answer is definatly wayyy too much. Gotta do some more giveaways for some of these ( maybe comment what knives you guys are interested). the knives behind the second picture are all either rusty or broken knives I've collected from japan that I sharpen, renew and give to people or use. It all kinda began as a hobby. As a Japanese resturant owner I sometimes help out in the store and cook for the customer when I felt like it. ( the ones with handle are my mainly used ones, there's probably about 10 more that I haven't shown that I actually use) And some knives I have them for collection since they're way too precious ( like fuji honyaki, don't really want to scratch the surface) View attachment 264748 View attachment 264747

View attachment 264744View attachment 264745View attachment 264746
Hey are you storing them in hanging file folders?
If so….BRILLIANT!

Back