How many Straight Razor users do we have here?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just pulled the trigger on the Whipped Dog deal. I have much to learn. And am more worried about HAD than RAD at the moment -- though I don't know (yet) how to hone razors. This weekend I'll go at my first shave with a straight.

While you're waiting for it to arrive, check out these articles:

http://www.shavemyface.com/downloads/The-Straight-Razor-Shave.pdf

http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/First_straight_razor_shave

Good luck and don't get discouraged. Styptic pencils are your friend.

Rick

Many years now, I cannot even think of going back to a cartrige. I got hooked soon after I discovered Japanese knives and have not shaved with anything else sence than. Something about the whole rutine that really captivates me, I love all the aspects of straight razor shaving. Many here and on other forums got hooked about the same time and we all had a great time bouncing back and forth about kitchen knives and straight razors. It's really cool that it's still rippling around this pond :)

I'm more hooked on vintage razors and only have one brand new razor, the SRP limited edition TI, most of my everyday shavers are 1850's ish and a couple late 1700's/very early 1800's. Just like my kitchen knives, if it doesn't show some wear/battle scars I'll not be interested in it. And carbon RULES!!! :p For a while I was doing videos of all my razors in use... I need to get the camera out and do more advanced videos someday lol.

TorreyBicycleRace.jpg

Next one to rebuild :)

a guy a know is selling a pretty cool one. maybe something for you? :)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/pre-1800-antique-vintage-straight-razor-shepherd-in-good-condition-horn-scale-/130751297112?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e71627658#ht_500wt_1207

I've been shaving with a straight for just over a year now and love it. Being forced to use a disposable razor again while on vacation about a month ago (the one downside is that you can't take a straight on a plane as part of your carry-on) was a horrible experience that completely reminded me of why I used to hate shaving!

Thanks for the pointers, Rick. Larry at Whipped Dog also sent a pdf manual, largely overlapping with the Chris Moss one you linked. I'll be re-reading all of what you sent, what Emanuel sent me, and Larry's piece before I get to lathering. Now I need some instructions on honing. Or not now, but soon. If I get through a couple straight shaves with face intact!

Thanks Mr. Magnus too. I'll be sure to let you know. Or pester for advice. Whichever comes first.

That is a nice looking razor but it is not pre 1800, that kind of shoulder didn't show uptill after 1810. Pre 1800 razors have not shown any shoulder. Not to say they where not around, someone may have started playing with the idea. However in razor history any hint of a better design was pounced apon and almost over night all razors looked the "new" way. Personally I would look up the maker and check other makes they did from known timelines and if the price was right I'd bid.

GoodBlades9.jpg

This blade is assumed (no name to varify) to be a blade made in the last decade of 1700. I have two blades from this time and they are both like this, just the hint of what is to become a shoulder that is knowen to becom a landmark change in early in the first decade of 1800. This photo was taken before I rebuilt it useing the same parts and it shaves very well :)

memorael gave me my first razor (Ern Crown and Sword) a couple of years ago. Then I met with DC last May for a lesson in all things straight razor. I spend every day waiting for my beard to grow out a little so I can shave again. My best shave to date was from a Filarmonica I bought from Maksim a few months ago along with a finishing stone and some nagura. It took some getting used to but I'm getting pretty close to that first shave I got out of Maksim's sharpening job. Now, I'm buying old razors, tidying them up and using them. I won't comment on how many razors I have sitting around the house... :O

memorael gave me my first razor (Ern Crown and Sword) a couple of years ago. Then I met with DC last May for a lesson in all things straight razor. I spend every day waiting for my beard to grow out a little so I can shave again. My best shave to date was from a Filarmonica I bought from Maksim a few months ago along with a finishing stone and some nagura. It took some getting used to but I'm getting pretty close to that first shave I got out of Maksim's sharpening job. Now, I'm buying old razors, tidying them up and using them. I won't comment on how many razors I have sitting around the house... :O

anything fun u wanna sell ? :)

Wait... who gives all-things straight razor lessons? I could see the need! My own DE phase has been fraught with danger. Or at least irritation. But I've learned a bunch about prep. I'm hoping the sr experience is rewarding.

Straight user here... I've got a cheap dovo full hollow and a vintage "spike" half hollow. Love the little spike razor. small and nimble.

184206_192485804105432_1503352_n.jpg

I've been using a SR for about 1-1/2 yrs now. I've always enjoyed shaving, and never had any problems using the main stream 5-blade Gillete cartridges. I had always wanted to try a SR since I started shaving, and when I discovered Japanese knives, I found videos of Murray Carter shaving with his camp knife and other knives, and so I bit the bullet.

I use a basic Dovo, and I have a NOS something or other my father sent me that was sitting in a cabinet drawer for 40 years, and another Sheffield wedge I bought used at SRP. I mainly use the DOVO as it gives much better shaves that the other two I have. I now really only use Ogalalla soap, as it's inexpensive, natural, and builds a great lather. Their aftershave is awesome!

My shaves have been really up and down. At one point I had a really, really fine edge on my Dovo and was getting great, smooth shaves. Lately something I've been doing has screwed things up, and i've been getting razor burn, nicks, cuts and random gashes. I only have 1k, 4k, & 8K GS's and strop on 1 micorn boron, .5 micro chro, and leather (same as I have for knives, but use different techniques). Sometimes I get a decent edge, sometimes I don't. It's been frustrating. I really want to get some higher grit stones and diamond sprays for strops.

Funny thing is, on my other two razors, I can't get them as sharp as the Dovo using the same techniques, and the shaves aren't as smooth, but I don't get any razor burn, nicks or cuts.

Vintage and new steel sometimes want different handling on the stones, and pasted strops can help or hinder. Lots going on that may cause issues here. I'm heading to work but will throw out some ideas to try when I get home.

My shaves have been really up and down. At one point I had a really, really fine edge on my Dovo and was getting great, smooth shaves. Lately something I've been doing has screwed things up, and i've been getting razor burn, nicks, cuts and random gashes. I only have 1k, 4k, & 8K GS's and strop on 1 micorn boron, .5 micro chro, and leather (same as I have for knives, but use different techniques). Sometimes I get a decent edge, sometimes I don't. It's been frustrating. I really want to get some higher grit stones and diamond sprays for strops.

Funny thing is, on my other two razors, I can't get them as sharp as the Dovo using the same techniques, and the shaves aren't as smooth, but I don't get any razor burn, nicks or cuts.
If you have a loupe or scope or other way to get decent magnification, you should take a look at the bevels of your razors at each stage of the honing process. You will be able to better determine when to stop at each level, I think that will improve your consistency.

As Mainaman pointed out the loupe is your friend. Unlike kitchen knives "close" doesn't cut it. One thing I think everyone who has been using a straight for a while will atest to is that not every razor style is for every user. Alot of personal preffrence gets mixed into the art of a straight razor experience. When your new to wet shaving it all pretty much feels the same, ether it's sharp or it's not. As you get used to the feel and start using a veriety of blade styles (yup those affected by RAD know this), you start noticing a prefference for the weight, grind, steel type, and more (not even going to touch on soaps yet :p ). All these things contribute to the experience, not to mention what happens on different types of stones. And this is where I fall into the two different schools of sharpness, angular cuts and rounded cuts.

Angular cuts are something you notice as an aggressive SHARPness, you get this from diamond sprays and synthetic stones for the most part. Rounded cuts are from Cro2 and many natural stones, and naturals gets into another big ball of sillyness (I fall into this area :p ) the shave is softer and smoother on the skin. Both get the job done and both are equilly good, personal prefference (and pocketbook) dictates what you settle with. But thats something you just have to try with many different razors on many different stones till you find YOUR magic bullet.

For me it's all about old sheffield steel on natural stones, Japanese prefered but european goodies such as the coticule also hold sway. My great grandfathers and grandfathers blades do very well on the coticule, both blades are also German based so there may be something there. For the first year I was using a straight razor I was hooked on US steel and using the Norton 4/8k stone. I got great shaves off an 8k stone and really if you do your part up to the 8k point, the shave is acceptable. Untill you get bitten by HAD (Hone Aquisition.. you get it :p )... So don't worry about getting higher end stones till you have mastered the 1k to 8k point, because if you don't have a shaveable edge off 1k, you will never reach it with higher grit stones.

i just got all the accesories for straight razor use. as in Preshave oil, shave cream,aftershave balm, brush,stand for brush,miller strop. and so on. cant say when i spent this much money so fast last time lol its like someone is laying a candytrail trap and im like "oh a piece of candy!, Oh a piece of candy, Oh a piece of candy, BAM 500$ haha. but i guess i have all i need now :)

i just got all the accesories for straight razor use. as in Preshave oil, shave cream,aftershave balm, brush,stand for brush,miller strop. and so on. cant say when i spent this much money so fast last time lol its like someone is laying a candytrail trap and im like "oh a piece of candy!, Oh a piece of candy, Oh a piece of candy, BAM 500$ haha. but i guess i have all i need now :)
right , that is what I thought when I got my first everything

On the flip side, last year I spent about $20 to shave for one full year, just a couple pucks of soap :)

I just started a couple months ago with straights. I have 4 now and am looking at grinding a few to test. I have a Revisor that a friend sent for me to try, I ended up buying it. then I acquired a Wapienza that has been refurbished, next I bought a Thiers Issard. My fourth has become my favorite, from the same friend actually! (Thanks Rick!) A refurbished Sheffield. It is a joy to shave with. I have a dense, coarse beard, and this thing slides through like no cartridge could! I bought a top end Braun electric once, and the damn thing stalled on my face! I had to disassemble the darn thing to get it to let go! So far, only one nick worth mentioning, she tip of the Sheffield "bit" me as I got a little over confident and rushed a bit! Lesson learned!

i dont think i ll ever go back now that i know how great a straight is to use (that and the fact that custom shave soap and brushes are crazy good )

After aquiring so many really good vintage razors I think my next one should be a custom, just so hard to find that right mix of vintage looks with modern parts :p

After aquiring so many really good vintage razors I think my next one should be a custom, just so hard to find that right mix of vintage looks with modern parts :p

Yes, a good custom sure is a delight;)

Here's a majority of mine, perhaps there are one or two there to inspire:biggrin:

Customs-1.jpg

Back