How many Straight Razor users do we have here?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently I got Iwasaki Western Tamahagane, which is deferentially heat treated razor. Knowing that I decided I'll etch it with acid to make the Hamon stand up from the rest of the blade.

After a few soaks in hot vinegar and cleaning in between, and natural stone polish afterwards I got a pretty interesting hamon to show up.

59wjf6.jpg

68r52e.jpg

5yb4n6.jpg

Then the big surprise...
I was working on a FON Golden Star, from my "for restoration" stash, hand sanding to prep it for high mirror finish. I started with Aoto powder then 1k Aluinum Oxide powder, and saw that the steel of the blade has two distinct finishes meeting ~1/2 way -a sure sigh for a differential heat treatment.
So I put the blade trough the hot vinegar etch process and got a nice wide hamon. Whet I found really surprising is that a factory made razor has this kind of treatment, may be that was the way to achieve really high hardness of the edge. Needless to say this one stays in the collection, and I will have to check every single Japanese straight for hamon from now on :)

2n80oj9.jpg

2eaqvid.jpg

oqiuxx.jpg

So there ya have it- Honyaki Straight Razors.

DwarvenChef & Mainaman - finally get back to you guys. Thanks for the responses.

I don't have a loupe, and yeah I need to get one to see what I'm doing at each stage.

I agree that every face responds differently to each razor, but I was getting great, very smooth shaves with my Dovo, then I f***'d it up.

It started when I took it to the Bester 500 - I was only using the GS 1K, 4K, & 8K previously, and thought it would be a good idea to make a few passes on the coarse stone to grind off some fatigued metal. The edge felt good in testing it, but felt HORRIBLE when I shaved with it. I had to hone it about 3 more times sans 500 to get it to shave somewhat smoothly again. Since then I've had the problems with nicks and cuts.

I've been able to get a decent, shaveable edge off of the 8K + stropping, and I know I really need to get better before I go on to finer stones/stropping compounds. But I'm getting a bit impatient and frustrated. This has been going on for months, and everytime I use the Dovo I end up looking like a stuck pig. I'll do everything from stropping to prep to actual shave very carefully and attentatively, and I'll get random nicks and slices - even on parts of my face that shouldn't get cut due to tight skin and flat even surface.

I've tried several different honing techniques/styles, and have yet discovered where my problems lies. I originally started using some of Lynn Abram's techniques, and those seemed locgical (except for the pyramid - I tried it once with so-so results) and gave me good results. Primarily using edge leading strokes. Then Murray Carter came out with his (very confrontational video that stirred up a virtual s**t storm) video on straight razor honing, and how he recommends using edge trailing strokes due to carbide pop-out. Seemed logical too, so I tried it and got good results, even better than before. Then sometime after that I hit the 500 stone and it's been downhill since then.

On another topic - do you guys tape the spine of your SRs?

MC says the design of a SR is such that if you tape the spine, then the spine does not wear down at the same rate at the edge bevel, and the angle of the bevel will increase over time.

It seems that most guys like to tape the spine, primamrily on coarse stones, if for no other reason that to prevent excessive scrathing on the spine.

I do not tape the spine.

MC says the design of a SR is such that if you tape the spine, then the spine does not wear down at the same rate at the edge bevel, and the angle of the bevel will increase over time.

It seems that most guys like to tape the spine, primamrily on coarse stones, if for no other reason that to prevent excessive scrathing on the spine.

I do not tape the spine.
Some I tape some I do not, depends on the case.
If you want send your Dovo to me I'll hone it for you to have something to shave with, also grab something cheap but in good shape from e-bay and practice honing. Having an edge for reference while learning honing IMO is the best way to go.

If you want send your Dovo to me I'll hone it for you to have something to shave with, also grab something cheap but in good shape from e-bay and practice honing. Having an edge for reference while learning honing IMO is the best way to go.

Thanks for the offer to hone my SR. I'm going to try a couple of things and see what I come up with. if I can't get a better edge, I'll send it to you.

I originally got the Dovo as a learning tool. Since I've aquired a couple of other razors, I now realize that the Dovo really is a great basic razor. I've got a cheap-ish wedge that I got from SRP that I can practice on as well. So far i can't really gat a decent enough edge on it to call it shaveable.

I don't tape spines when I hone UNLESS it's someone else's razor that I'm working on and then they'd have to have requested it OR I need to for repair purposes. I understand the reasons for taping a spine but I feel that the spine should wear directly proportional to the edge so I work with this in mind whenever possible.

PS - I believe that spine taping is a modern thing that's been introduced by custom razor makers as a way to allow for them to get away with the making of poorly ground (spine to height) ratios/hollows, poor honing jobs, and/or for simply keeping their damascus looking pretty. I do not believe that spine taping has ever been done prior to these guys starting into the razor world and I say this because I've never seen any evidence to say otherwise and lots of evidence that shows spine wear to be part of the equation of normal wear to the life of a straight razor.

I'd never state this on a razor forum though, I couldn't take the stoning. :D

LOL Dave thats so true :p

I rarely tap myself unless I'm fixing some major damage.

It's good that your trying out different schools of thought as to honing your razor. Straight razors are truly an art form as no one person truly hones the same way another does. You follow what one person does and find a few quirks that work for you, than you try anothers style and notice a few more quirks that work. After a few more trials you notice your not following any one style any longer but have developed your own style that works for you. Keep it up :) it's fun :)

Yikes, 500 grit is way to coarse for a razor without major damage to the edge. I rarely go down to the 1k Glass Stone, this is my starting point for bevel setting a "new to me" razor. Even a razor with a shave ready edge from someone else seems to give me fits when I try to touch it up. So after that edge needs work I put my own edge on it, ony because it works for me. But I rarely get a razor that is shave ready LOL most of my aquisitions are over 100 years old and WHO KNOWS what kind of edge they have on them :p Lots of testing to figure out how someone honed a blade to know why the wear pattern is the way it is.

Snip..

I'd never state this on a razor forum though, I couldn't take the stoning. :D

Hehe, yeah, that seems to be a heated topic around the SR forums.
I'm not quite sure why though, there are valid arguments to be made both ways.

Personally I do tape most any razor these days, as a result of me honing mostly for others.
My own razors have been honed so many times by now, they really don't need anymore for a few years;)
There are one or two in my own collection that I don't use tape on, but they are few and far between these days.

+1. I don't know how much time you spent on the 500/1k stones but if you aren't careful, you can overgrind the spine relative to the edge. In that case, your edge will never hold well and I'd recommend taping.

So i just purchased my first straight razors..
Three of them.

2 C.V Heljestrand, one is an MK24 the second one i am not sure about yet.
The last one is a J.A Hellberg

Hellberg: http://img.tradera.com/images/280/149090280_1.jpg

Heljestrand: http://img.tradera.com/mega/723/149020723_1.jpg

Heljestrand MK24: http://img.tradera.com/mega/632/149179632_1.jpg

All of these for around 50-60 bucks in total

A very good start mate.
Those Swedish razors are great shavers!
And for that price? Brilliant:)

Nice :) i see you been shoping on tradera ;)

Idd, heard that there's few good modern razors that are easy to get and well, vintage swedish steel is usually awesome. So i've been checking tradera out a bit.
Did i steal some of the ones you wanted? ; )

Found a SSA that i REALLY wanted in mint condition.. but after 3 razors i decided that i needed some restraint. But that one was REALLY beautiful and in mint condition, saw a threat on SRP about them.. god i wish i got that one.

Now i just need a strop and a brush and some good shaving-cream..

Idd, heard that there's few good modern razors that are easy to get and well, vintage swedish steel is usually awesome. So i've been checking tradera out a bit.

Found a SSA that i REALLY wanted in mint condition.. but after 3 razors i decided that i needed some restraint. But that one was REALLY beautiful and in mint condition, saw a threat on SRP about them.. god i wish i got that one.

hehe nope i just won a mk31 in ivory good condition 137kr (18$) :) about that SSA, its probleby gonna end up at a guy that i know :)

buy the soap from Tom (Lefty) i tryd it. very nice soap. buy a strop in good quality etc Miller. same with brush make sure you get a good one with badger hair.

An easy and quick way to get some soap or cream is to go to your local perfumerie for some Tabac, The body shop for their cream called Maca Root and a few of the convinience stores for the Euro-Palmolive.
All stellar stuff and available locally:)

Neil Miller at the strop shop has great strops at reasonable prices.
Get a badger brush from an online store of choice. Shaving ie. does deliver real quick:)

I just picked a Spike up after seeing this posted. I was surprised how quick it took a great edge.

It is super easy to hone, making it my most used straight for sure. I like the grind on it too. I've got thicker hair and the dovo just feels to flexy at the edge.

hehe nope i just won a mk31 in ivory good condition 137kr (18$) :) about that SSA, its probleby gonna end up at a guy that i know :)

buy the soap from Tom (Lefty) i tryd it. very nice soap. buy a strop in good quality etc Miller. same with brush make sure you get a good one with badger hair.

Damn you, i was actually hoping for one a Mk3_ with some nice handle, ah well.. they go cheap at tradera so i'll have to keep an eye out, and i blame Björnar for everything

And i will check out what both of you recommended, when i see what condition the knives are in

Damn you, i was actually hoping for one a Mk3_ with some nice handle, ah well.. they go cheap at tradera so i'll have to keep an eye out, and i blame Björnar for everything

And i will check out what both of you recommended, when i see what condition the knives are in

Heh, I can live with that blame:)
Always nice to welcome yet another straight razor shaver!
Let me know if you need any help honing your razors, I'd be more than happy to help out.
I'm bringing my stones to Helsingör this November, so we could do a little razor honing there as well:)
That is, if you are attending that meet.

Heh, I can live with that blame:)
Always nice to welcome yet another straight razor shaver!
Let me know if you need any help honing your razors, I'd be more than happy to help out.
I'm bringing my stones to Helsingör this November, so we could do a little razor honing there as well:)
That is, if you are attending that meet.

Of course i will, as long as i am able!
And i found another J.A Hellberg for 92 swedish kronor incl shipping so i couldn't resist. If i don't like them i can just pass them on, i saw that they fetched decent prices on SRP so i'm probably not going to lose any money on it.

made a little video. sry about the crapy focus, used a phone to record.
[video=youtube_share;lUD7g1hL-To]http://youtu.be/lUD7g1hL-To[/video]

Could not fight the urge to place a bid on a nr31 Erik Anton Berg Eskilstuna... and i won.
So in a few days my ears will be no more than a memory! :D

Been using straights off and on for 3-4. End up using a DE most of the time because I have been having a tough time getting the edge just right on a straight. It really is an art. When the edge is 'just right' they are so nice to shave with.

Last week I dusted off a Wapienica, gave it a touch up and finished with a couple of strops and the shave was sublime. I will be working on honing my skills to try and get a perfect edge more reliably.

Might have to work on upgrading the crappy SS scales on a few of these Wapienicas, they really are great.

I've tried so many straights and always come back to my first love - a late 1800's Wade & Butcher 7/8 Extra Hollow for being the very best shave I can get. I have an even older W&B wedge that I need to refurb and get into the rotation, it's so sweet with it's pressed horn scales and all. :)

I've tried so many straights and always come back to my first love - a late 1800's Wade & Butcher 7/8 Extra Hollow for being the very best shave I can get. I have an even older W&B wedge that I need to refurb and get into the rotation, it's so sweet with it's pressed horn scales and all. :)

I have yet to find a useable W&B (pre 1900) that didn't handle well :) Took me forever to get my first W&B, than in about a month I got about 8 more LOL One is so far gone I couldn't save a single part of it. It's still together sitting on my shelf :p Others I ended up cutting off chunks of the blade to get them working again. Those old war horses just keep on working :) And they have some of the most interesting grinds :p

i wanna try a good W&B shaver. but im not good at them so i would not know what to buy. but the big choppers looks badass :)

Back