Huws Food

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget to drink some Sheaf Stout and also Coopers beer. Both are sort of mainstream brands but they are very good refreshing beers.

Hey Huw, is this for your summer menu or an event dinner?

Huw... OFF THE FRICKIN' HOOK, simply amazing plating & composition, as alway's. Good luck on the awards. Should be a slam dunk, with plates like that. I just hope the wait staff.can match up withe the food! :D

Hey Huw, is this for your summer menu or an event dinner?

Uni Dish is for a wine dinner tomorrow night, the others are older pics I had in my phone

In that case me and Chanop wouldn't mind a doggie bag. :D. On a serious note, if you ever feel like sharing that warm oyster vinegarette let me know.

So is this one of those places with no prices on the menu???? :bigeek:

I don't know if I could bring myself to eat any of those dishes. I think I'd order a lazy susan with each dish so I could just slowly spin the plate and admire what was in front of me. :bonappetit:

Then I'd say, "Enough with the artwork, bring me the dinner menu." :hungry2:

So is this one of those places with no prices on the menu???? :bigeek:

I don't know if I could bring myself to eat any of those dishes. I think I'd order a lazy susan with each dish so I could just slowly spin the plate and admire what was in front of me. :bonappetit:

Then I'd say, "Enough with the artwork, bring me the dinner menu." :hungry2:

When I went there I can honestly say I left stuffed. What you see here is the degustation portions. I don't think you can eat 7 of these plates.

I just checked , it's only like 16,200 kilometers to get to you from my house. I may have to stay for breakfast. Everything looks superb. What under the uni on top of the eggs Huw?

As always, just great Huw! I really like the integrity of your food and the lack of copycat pretension in your presentation. Roasted squid consomme, sea succulents with crab dumpling on charcoal grilled flathead - man! this dish pushed my buttons! Well done!

Still planning to come by on my way to Sydney, maybe in 3 weeks.

When I went there I can honestly say I left stuffed. What you see here is the degustation portions. I don't think you can eat 7 of these plates.

But ... but ... but, they're too pretty to eat.

Looks SO good!!

I need to make my way to Australia, so I can eat at your restaurant.

Artistically brilliant. The consume looks pretty dirty :) Just kidding. It looks promiscuously flavorful.

Just back home from a longish road trip from Melbourne to Sydney and Newcastle. On my outward leg I went by the (much) longer coastal route just so I could stop by Merimbula to have dinner at Zanzibar, Huw's and his partner Renee's restaurant. I guess that makes it my 'destination restaurant'. The restaurant is a smallish 30 seater, elegantly set up, comfortable and with excellent lighting. Captain Huw in the kitchen with a sweeping overview to the diners seemed to be in calm control every time I looked; Renee, an impressive font of knowledge for Aussie wines, manages front of house with charm and intelligent efficiency. I had the degustation menu with matching wines, called the 'Locavore Tasting Menu' because of the locally sourced products. This was 5 dishes with perfectly matched wines and Huw gave me the bonus of 2 extra dishes and Renee offered an additional wine. Glad I was staying in a motel just down the road and I could toddle back after that. Well, I'm happy to say that every dish was spectacular in flavour and texture balance, inventiveness and presentation. Exquisite even. The sequence of the dishes was also very well thought out. And of course getting to see and handle Huw's knives was a big bonus as well! Each one of them was in immaculate condition even right after dinner service and obviously fine tuned to his personal cutting preferences.

Huge rave from me Huw and thanks! Aussie members, I do recommend you swing by if you're travelling on the east coast at any time. And for those of you overseas this is another reason to come to Oz - destination restaurant for sure!

Thanks Hari!
It was great to meet you as well. I'm glad you took the time to take a detour through our small part of the world. Hope to see you in Merimbula again someday.

For those who don't know Merimbula, it's geography is fantastic. Surf beaches and lakes, it felt like everywhere I turned there was beautiful water. Huw's one lucky guy!

Back