I apologize.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im a man of word. Shig is sent to Marko on monday :) I hope we can find a way to do this the right way. Since Im a norwegian Ill let you american find the way :)

Gonna have Darkhoek post a wip on the sharpening this weekend :) Gonna go through the jnats used to get the perfect polish and grind.
For shig fans I found Haralds blog: http://*****************.com/search?updated-max=2011-02-07T21:54:00+01:00&max-results=7
There you can see the knife yourselves. Its a great knife. The best cutter I have :)

David: Great board!

Then there will be 2 lotteries/raflles/auctions !!!
Gotta love fundraising :) :) :)

I realize that this suggestion is somewhat stone age, butt what about having a raffle where people snail mail their money in check form?

lol... makes sense to me

By the way, great idea on the raffle

I always love how the community comes together to help eachother in times of need

Checks are not used outside us :S

JBroida = you ended up getting 5000 USD for Heiji. Anything you like to share?

Hi,
I am saddened by such tragic news.. AS they say.. strike when the iron is hot... and also when the going gets tough... the tough gets going...

Since i am in the market for a knife , may I start the bid at USD$1,500 ? I hope that it is not too little?

Regards,
david

Im impressed :) You the best :)

personally, i believe that if you're giving money to a good cause and your intention is to help, why not just give the money anyways. Thats why when i do things like this, i only accept donations. Pay pal works just fine for that. We could just as easily raise money that way for bill.

(i hope this statement doent come off as abrasive as i'm worried it might... its not a judgement... just a statement of my personal beliefs and what i have done in the past)

I would think the simplest way would be to do donations and then a "give away", where people post in the thread if they've donated. I don't think many in our community would cheat.

Bill: I wish you and your family the best.

+1 to what Jon said. You can still do a raffle (or auction), but having a simple donation system is quick and easy and allows small and large donations. You could even have it so that if you donate a certain amount, the your name automatically goes into a raffle and we just do that unofficial name thing as has been done before without having all of those technical issues that auctions entail.

k.

I would think the simplest way would be to do donations and then a "give away", where people post in the thread if they've donated. I don't think many in our community would cheat.

Bill: I wish you and your family the best.
Yep. Not officially tied, and totally voluntary. I'd even say, so that it's not a strict *** for tat which might cause issues, that people, while highly strongly incredibly encouraged to donate and will be thought ill of if trying to game the intent of this thing, not absolutely be required to donate.

Edit: LOL Sorry for my foul language. Apparently the forum software doesn't like my use of the word "t.it"

you guys are too much. Oivind you are quite possibly one of the greatest guys I know. But seriously I was not asking for money or anything like that just wanted to explain why the knives are not being delivered as I promissed. the willingness for all of you to help out is overwhelming. I am not in any way going to stop making knives, I don't think that I could even if I wanted to. they are just going to take longer to get done. thank you so much all of you.

for those of youthat asked it is looking like what sight she has now is all sheis going to get back short of a miracle. But it (her sight) is way better than any of her doctors had predicted.

Sorry to hear about your wife Bill and best wish's to your family.I know most everyone in this community would help you out in a New York minute.

thanks again everyone. you are all great. As for Patti my wife she is well and doing fine, her job had alot of computer work and was very visually oriented so she had to resign. she has been to some training and hopes to be able to rejoin the workforce in a less visually oriented job. It gives her something to work for and keeps her occupied in a positive manner. thanks again for all the prayers and well wishes and don't give up I will deliver the knive that are on order just not as soon as originally promissed.

Bill, it goes without saying...nobody will mind a delay.
Take care of your wife and family, and try not to forget about yourself along the way. We can't wait to see what you come up with next, whether it's a month from now, or a year from now.
You're proving that a good person makes sacrifices for the ones he loves and doesn't even consider them to be sacrifices. You're the definition of "selfless" and we all wish you and your wife all the best.

I am very sorry to hear about your wife, Bill. Glad to hear, though, that her eyesight is exceeding the dark predictions from the doctors. They usually try to keep expectations down rather than giving people false hope. Miracles do happen and I do hope you and your wife will recieve one shortly.

DarKHOeK

Mr. Burke, my thoughts and prayers are with your wife, you and your family.

As to the raffle/donations/auction/etc., I'm hopeful we can collectively figure something out. Here in Seagrove with a community of over 80 potteries, we donate approximately $100,000.00 in pots to auctions yearly. Some go for big bucks, some for a trifle of their original value. We also have a potter's relief fund that we all contribute pots too, to be sold and the money used for assisting those of us in need for whatever reason. Having had 2 heart attacks and losing my health insurance consequently, they recently paid for my ER visit and other related costs after having a little knife slam into my hand while deburring when the scotchbrite belt broke. All that said, let's not give up.

I'm willing to donate 4 of my teabowls/stemless wine cups to the cause as well. You can go to my website for an idea of what they might look like, although those actual pieces are long gone. Whoever figures this thing out, just let me know what I need to do to participate on both levels, as a donater of goods, and as a potential recipient of that sweet knife.

Blessings upon you all, esp. the Burkes-Tom

Many people have come forward with ideas on helping the Burke family and I want you all to know that I think this is great and that we're hashing out the details in the back end to see what we can do here. I know that Bill wasn't looking for anything but too bad - he's getting it anyway. :)

I'll get back to this ASAP.

Dave

Many people have come forward with ideas on helping the Burke family and I want you all to know that I think this is great and that we're hashing out the details in the back end to see what we can do here. I know that Bill wasn't looking for anything but too bad - he's getting it anyway. :)

I'll get back to this ASAP.

Dave

LOVE IT! Don't take no for a answer

Nice Dave

Ill contact Harald today, and make a cool wip thread on the sharpening. Send me a PM on where you want it to be shipped. We can ship it directly to the winner as well - this way we save shipping cost.

The fundraiser is back on track!!!

For those who want to know more about Shigefusa:
http://articles.latimes.com/2001/mar/29/news/cl-43936

"The balance of the knife is so refined, it feels like an extension of the hand. In a world where nearly everything seems to be made on an assembly line, Iizuka's knives stand out for being entirely made by hand."

For those who want to know more about Marko
http://www.markotsourkan.com/

I really don't think he needs more intro here. He is out of this world, striving for perfection. The handle and saya on this one is one of the best he ever made. Marko had also started his own knife making, and therefor it will be hard to get a shigefusa with Marko saya and handle. Ill let Marko himself tell about this knife as well :)

For me this knife was a perfect cutter. Its also a piece with a nice history, and it is beautiful to look at :) I consider it one of the best knives in my collection.

Bill: I was just joking :) Im in no hurry. Im hoping for a western handle though :) hehe :) Take it to Blade 2012 as well :)

Harald: Can you call me? My iPhone is down and Im on a "lånetelefon", I don't have your number :(

Dave, if a straight donation is legal, I'm sure you'll get overwhelming support. I know I'm for it.

Knife is given to Darkhoek

He will oil it and sharpen it. I would like to thank Harald for doing this for free for "the cause".
I hope he puts up a WIP. The knife is in Mint condition.

Dave: Any ideas what to do?
Harald will have it at his place until we are ready to ship it anywhere on the planet :)
Harald said he would post some pics. Put it is the Shig on Markos homesite. Maybe Marko can post some pics?

i am working on something as we speak...it'll take a few days to get all sorted out so just hold tight people....more to come soon....ryan

Six pages and no one has suggested that if we had single-payer health coverage one of the most esteemed knife makers in this country wouldn't be in this fix? Instead, we're taking up a collection? What about all the folks who can't make fine knives?

Back