I Have $200 For A Damascus Chef's Knife...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fellow ex-smoker and now ex-vaper. Best thing I did to quit a 20 year live affair with the stinkies. I loved my high end gear.

Congrats on quitting! Here are a couple of pics of the latest additions the the family. Both are series mechs.

2017-05-20%2009.03.53_zpsboco0ec8.jpg

2017-05-20%2009.04.11_zpsardgfqgy.jpg

Wow nice. You would like my Piston by Randy at steampunk, O lying 20 were ever made.

So, now that I've gone down the rabbit hole... Can anyone point me towards some good tutorials on sharpening this type of knife? I've perused some of the YouTube videos on Jnats and diamond plates, but it left me quite confused (which isn't hard to do :().

So, now that I've gone down the rabbit hole... Can anyone point me towards some good tutorials on sharpening this type of knife? I've perused some of the YouTube videos on Jnats and diamond plates, but it left me quite confused (which isn't hard to do :().

The guys here recommend videos by Jon from Japanese Knife Imports. For good reason, they are great.

I have also seen the Korin videos and they are really good too. They actually had a Sharpening DVD a while back which was very good.

I've found that if you watch too many different videos from different sharpeners, their differences in technique will leave you confused over which path to follow. I'd say pick just one and follow them. Jon from JKI seems to be the gold standard and is my go to for everything sharpening related and any knife related info for that matter. I'm still learning sharpening myself and I've found that having only one voice in my head makes the message clearer.

Oops, Khashy's reply wasn't up when I started typing my response so I don't want it to seem like I'm dissing his advice. I haven't seen the Korin videos.

Last edited:
The guys here recommend videos by Jon from Japanese Knife Imports. For good reason, they are great.

I have also seen the Korin videos and they are really good too. They actually had a Sharpening DVD a while back which was very good.

I've found that if you watch too many different videos from different sharpeners, their differences in technique will leave you confused over which path to follow. I'd say pick just one and follow them. Jon from JKI seems to be the gold standard and is my go to for everything sharpening related and any knife related info for that matter. I'm still learning sharpening myself and I've found that having only one voice in my head makes the message clearer.

Oops, Khashy's reply wasn't up when I started typing my response so I don't want it to seem like I'm dissing his advice. I haven't seen the Korin videos.

Okay, thanks. I'll stick with those two and learn what I can. Then I need to figure out which stone(s) to buy. I'd much prefer to purchase them from a member here.

For the Tanaka initially all you will need is a 1000/6000 combo. You can add more as the bug bites harder. Again, Jon from JKI is probably the place to go for your stones also

​Does anyone know of a discount code for JKI? My cart is starting to add up...

Back