I QUIT !!!!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
catering doesnt suck in general. but like any other job there are good companies that have their sh!t together and others that dont. FWIW i once had a job for over 3 years and the day i decided to put my notice in they literally told me to GTFO that day. good luck with your job hunt.

+1 yup.. would they give you 2 weeks if they were firing you? i think not

Still, never burn bridges in this revolving door industry. It's the same people at different places later on in life. Today's dishwasher is tomorrow's Executive Chef.

I'm facing a difficult dilemma myself. Good luck Chris, I hope you find something you enjoy.

i completely agree.. its why he's done such a great thing to cater to them (no pun intended).. they might be calling him back soon, to which he can kindly decline, and still have a good relationship/reference

Still, never burn bridges in this revolving door industry. It's the same people at different places later on in life. Today's dishwasher is tomorrow's Executive Chef.

I'm facing a difficult dilemma myself. Good luck Chris, I hope you find something you enjoy.

Most employers don't want people who give notice of termination "hanging around" when their heart's not into it and their mind is elsewhere.Hopefully it's a business decision and not personal.

depends on how good of an employee you are i suppose

Most employers don't want people who give notice of termination "hanging around" when their heart's not into it and their mind is elsewhere.Hopefully it's a business decision and not personal.

I also think most employees are ready to leave the same day(or week) they give notice.They do it out of professional courtesy..or not wanting to burn any bridges,which is the right thing to do.

true.. usually the happiest you see them is their last day on the job

I also think most employees are ready to leave the same day(or week) they give notice.They do it out of professional courtesy..or not wanting to burn any bridges,which is the right thing to do.

Hey David, if nothing pans out for me I'm going to appear on your doorstep to begin my new career as "Boardsmith shop monkey".
I promise I'll buy some steel-toed shoes/boots first though!

Come on! My sharp things spin and travel at 3500 rpm but stiil cut though. Maybe it is time to learn a new trade!? LOL

They didn't deserve your time anyways. You have new experiences and adventures coming your way. I'm very excited for you. Good luck! :)

I'm gonna have to disagree with you guys on this. Catering doesn't suck,some caterers suck.I'm fortunate enough to work for a great catering company filled with tons of passion and creativity.
Nothing wrong with making good money for what you're good at(and enjoy).I'll never go back to regular kitchen work..ever.

Congrats to you for doing what you think is right and good luck!

No offense meant Shankster, and I wasn't trying to imply that there's a lack of creativity involved in catering. I'm just more comfortable in my own kitchen, and not into the improvisation involved with catering. Glad you're enjoying where you're at:D

No offence taken :).It's very difficult to find the right fit,whether it's catering,hotel or restaurant and no job is perfect,just perfect for yourself.
Cheers!

I'm gonna have to disagree with you guys on this. Catering doesn't suck,some caterers suck.I'm fortunate enough to work for a great catering company filled with tons of passion and creativity.
Nothing wrong with making good money for what you're good at(and enjoy).I'll never go back to regular kitchen work..ever.

Congrats to you for doing what you think is right and good luck!

Just to be clear. I didn't say catering sucks or caterers. Just that I hate catering out. I started as a caterer. It's nice to know how much money you're going to make when you work. And it's good money. It just reminded me of camping. Load, transport, unload, load, transport, unload, etc. You have to be organized and I am not.

I'm starting to feel the same way about my current job. Cooking food that was popular in the seventies at a club in a retirement community is getting old really fast.

<It just reminded me of camping. Load, transport, unload, load, transport, unload, etc.>
Lol! I can relate to that. I guess my initial response was a bit defensive..apologies..
I usually just do smaller on site events 8-10 ppl plated dinners,I leave the larger events to the youngsters :D

You hit the nail on the head. As an employer, it's not a good thing to have an employee who is leaving hanging around for such a long time. There are exceptions of course, but in general that's the way it goes.

That being said, Knyfe was gracious/ considerate offering to stay for so long in order to not leave them short. Chris, best of luck in your new endeavors! You have a lot going on in your life right now, and this could not have been an easy decision. But with your attitude and work ethic I know you will have a lot of success.

Thanks for all the well-wishes and kind words, guys and gals.
My last day was Friday, so I'm officially unemployed. However I helped out at my friend's pub Sat & Sun for St. Patty's. Probably put in a meager(by my standards) 22hrs in 2 days. I got to work out my 300mm Takobiki (don't cringe Broida) on 400lbs of Corned beef and massacred a few giant cases of cabbage with my gigantor Takeda. Fun, but a little sore. Had to do some sharpening this A.M.
I did my first night of stage at a really nice restaurant in town. Check it out http://www.zebrarestaurant.net/-The website needs some updating and the pictures don't do the food justice.
A good friend of mine is Sous and I'm staging again tomorrow night. I enjoyed it tonight, I struggled to tournee potatoes and made Dover Sole for the 1st time in my life......
.........so now I need a Sole knife and have got to find a tournee knife as my 150mm petty is just too big and clumsy.

Not much down time for someone without a job-YET
I'll keep you all posted.
Thanks again, Chris

I have left my current employer 3x. The last time they called me to see if I wanted to come back. Well being out of work for a few mo. and not really trying to find a job I took it. Now I am looking for the next best thing. Good luck on what you are looking for. Also sounds like you had a great time working this weekend.

good to see you are finding some other opportunities, and even finding some "shorter" shifts too, good stuff

I get you. Yesterday I told the boss I wasn't happy have been there a year and a half with no raise, finished with school and he's bringing in new kids paying them the same as me. He blew me off. Walked away an hour later (I didn't leave em in a jam. We had extra people and I was off in an hour any way.)

-AJ

[video=youtube;2L_cGjQSR80]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L_cGjQSR80[/video]

Congrats. You're a strong man if you can change your life:D

I'm employed!!!
After 1 day of stage, Chef asked me at lineup today if I wanted to join the crew. I said "hellz yes" and we high-fived. Such a touching moment.
No pun intended.
So seriously, I have a job now.
In a GOOD restaurant kitchen. I don't know how much I'll make, but we'll make it work. It's so refreshing to be surrounded by people who are passionate about cooking. This is about more than a paycheck.
Haven't had a day off since our CLT party at my house, but the place is closed on Sundays so at least I've got that working for me.
Looking forward to being the FNG again tomorrow, it's good to be humbled.

congratulations! welcome back to the world of the employed.

Good luck. Remember why you started doing this thing to begin with

grats, glad it worked out so quickly. Hope the financial status reflects their passion in the kitchen, then its a win win :)

Back