If you could only keep one kitchen knife which would you choose?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to thread crap here but what is everyone's preferred image hosting service? I was going to post a pic but when I used my previous preferred hosting (imageshack) in my thread the other day I noticed that it is all crappy now with popups etc. Once I get a new hoster I'll post a pic of my current favorite knife. ;)

Oh and by the way, these are some great pics everyone. I need to up my photo skills. :(

I've always wanted a Mizuno wa-gyuto, man that guy makes a killer knife. Salty, tell me more about that wa-G of yours.

Sorry to thread crap here but what is everyone's preferred image hosting service? I was going to post a pic but when I used my previous preferred hosting (imageshack) in my thread the other day I noticed that it is all crappy now with popups etc. Once I get a new hoster I'll post a pic of my current favorite knife. ;)

i use Photobucket and im pleased with that, use it a lot. i know some like the Picasa and are happy with that

Mizuno Tanrenjo 240 Suminigashi with Blue DX core.

sumi2.jpg

I'm surprised as this; I thought your most prized knife was the masamoto honyaki.

I would have to say my kono HD as well but that's because it's my only Gyuto at the moment

OK I dusted off the old photobucket account. I'll have to look into a picassa. Here is my current baby:

Tadatsuna.jpg

Here's a little gyuto action for the hell of it. If for some reason my "one" couldn't be a cleaver this would be it:

DSCN1711.jpg

knew you would have a clever in there.cool: btw you have converted me to try a cleaver.

I would say probably my Monzaburo 255 Kiritsuke. I can adjust what food I cut and how it cut, but I wouldn't want to go a day without this knife. That or a 270 mono steel gyuto

Carter 5.4 sun funayuki, though as I get more time with it, that may change to the Martell 240 gyuto.

It is interesting that the tally so far is:
DT 6
Carter 5
Kramer, Kono HD & Shig 2 each
the rest 1 each.

Depending on the day of the week, it could be my 240 SFGZ Carter funayuki in white 1 (It's been rehandled since this photo was taken.). (I think it's the top one. The other one is even better than mine but I stupidly sent it off to a friend since I had two.)
P1060880 (1024x768).jpg
Or a 250 mm DT proto in dt-pm (mine) or dt-super bottom (will soon be mine). The top one is a proto in dt-spicy and is not mine. P1070110 (1024x680).jpg
Or a Rottman 240 mm gyuji in Niolox
wa-line knife (1024x589).jpg
Or a Rottman 220 suji in Niolox (bottom).
Front.jpg
Or one of the knives I've modified such as this 240 A-type
hamaguri-front.jpg

Or my modified KonHD with ebony handle which I oddly have no picture of...
Actually, I think that's it at the top of my A-type pic.

Oh, I forgot, the KonHD is a 270 gyuto.

If I could only keep one it would be my 230mm Bob Kramer 52100 custom, just because of how long I waited for it, its resale value, and the difficulty I would have replacing it... oh yeah and also it's a real bad-ass knife!!! :biggrin:

But honestly my first full custom that I ever ordered is my Carter 230mm IP gyuto, and it is the one I would probably miss the most. So setting aside cost/value/difficulty of replacement, the Carter is probably the knife I would want to keep if I could only keep one.

Thankfully I don't have to make that choice :wink:

I'm surprised as this; I thought your most prized knife was the masamoto honyaki.

The Miz is more versatile, takes a pounding and was my main battle knife for several years. It will and has done everything I've asked of it. The Masamoto is a little more specialized.

If I cut anything blind-folded I'm grabbing the Miz. We are one.

The Miz is more versatile, takes a pounding and was my main battle knife for several years. It will and has done everything I've asked of it. The Masamoto is a little more specialized.

If I cut anything blind-folded I'm grabbing the Miz. We are one.

Great response Salty!. Im hoping to get a knife a feel the same way about one day. right now haven't used anything that has really blown me away.

OK I dusted off the old photobucket account. I'll have to look into a picassa. Here is my current baby:

Tadatsuna.jpg

Here's a little gyuto action for the hell of it. If for some reason my "one" couldn't be a cleaver this would be it:

DSCN1711.jpg

What cleaver is that? Very nice.

Right now my go to is a 240mm suisin inox honyaki suji. I wouldnt want to go a day at work without it. Love that thing.

Upon further reflection I'd go with a 270 Ginsanko Kiritsuke or some other carbon-esque stainless.

If it had to do everything I would like a hair more length

Upon further reflection I'd go with a 270 Ginsanko Kiritsuke or some other carbon-esque stainless.

If it had to do everything I would like a hair more length

I don't know about that. That knife is blade heavy. :)

I know a lot of you have multiple gyuto's, sujis, pettys, santoku's, and yangis etc.

If you could only keep one kitchen knife which would you pick over all the others and why would it be that knife.

Whether its the performance or does it mean something special to you?

Easy peasy. Marko 240 gyuto 52100. Beautiful, excellent in use, takes a killer edge and keeps it, perfectly balanced, versatile enough to be used for almost anything and it is rugged enough so I am not afraid to use it.

DarKHOeK

009-12.jpg

Hands Down BEST KNIFE EVER.......Kramer 52100- Salty version.....POW

maybe it just me.... but for some reason his knives don't appeal to me however this one is pretty nice

Gave it some thought. I don't like western handles with the exception of Hattori KD or my tojiro itk bread knife, or anything produced by Devin. I like wa handles. So usually not a fan. But that handle is very nice. Definitely not his standard handle.

My Kono HD 240mm wa gyuto w/ rosewood handle,not that I have a ton of knives,but still....Love this thing!

Thankfully I don't have to only choose one...but if I did it would probably be my 210mm DT ITK. It's not my most often used knife--some other knives might be more efficient for some tasks, but it's the one knife I have that can probably do anything that needs doing. Light, comfortable, and the edge retention is amazing.

At the moment the only way you'd take my Kochi gyuto from me is from my cold dead hands. Love that knife.

Back