if you had $1500...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My choice wld be either

Top choice..

1. A William Catheside custom damascus chinese chef's knife to my specs. Damascus knife calls for extra work, knowledge and skill. I have no complaints whatsoever as to his workmanship save for the occassional "happy accident". I have collected his earlier pieces and also the recent ones and noted his development in knife making. Must say that he has a very steep learning curve and he experiments quite a fair bit. His cutting videos is also a reminder of his progress and determination. Come to think of it, which other knife maker makes their own cutting videos for the respective pieces? I must look up this point.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/9336-Composite-damascus-cleaver-WIP

Since the mighty British Pound is high these these, it has to be clobbered in due due course to fit in the price range.

On my bucket list is to go and do the finial assembly and grinding of a knife. This wld be my choice

2, HHH. Million layer damascus. As it wld be a true conversational piece. Literally , you got to put alot of sweat into it. I still admire the 68,000 layer Catcheside Petty

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/4205-240mm-Damascus-Petty-available

Justin beat me to it for the feather version. Both of us are waiting for either one of us to sell to each other.

Have fun..

rgds
d

Hey those are my knives! (Minus the micarta handle). But yes, those would be 2 of my top choices! And a Burke or rader as my American picks.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. You're always ruining it for the rest of us, aren't you, Chuck? :razz:

I would buy 75Lb of PM stainless steel. Should be good for about 70 knives. Good ones.

M

I will buy round trip air tickets to Japan for $1200, and pick up a knife for $300, and come back home.... LOL :doublethumbsup:

Catcheside San Mai 270 Gyuto with virtually no belly.
HHH Damascus (Haas Choice) 150 petty with a pretty tall heel almost like a honesuki. Double bevel.

Maybe a Jin deba from JKI, Shigefusa chuckabocho, Sugimoto SHM knives. Perhaps a mix of the green bone handled nenox knives; I've been lusting over those since I seen them, but there's no way I can justify the cost. I think I'd probably blow it on knives I've been curious about rather than the tried and tested.

Either that or a couple rhino chops, it's all good.

Cheers,
Josh

With the qualification of spending it all on a single knife, I'd probably give Mr. Rader a call.

taking the advantage of low japanese yen, i just made a purchase of 4 kasumi shigs, 300 yanagi, 240 gyuto, 210 usaba, 180 deba. added up to about $1600, $100 over budget:D

I will buy round trip air tickets to Japan for $1200, and pick up a knife for $300, and come back home.... LOL :doublethumbsup:

2 Shigefusa then rehandle them. stones with the change :D

taking the advantage of low japanese yen, i just made a purchase of 4 kasumi shigs, 300 yanagi, 240 gyuto, 210 usaba, 180 deba. added up to about $1600, $100 over budget:D

all you guys broken the rule! OP said "spend $1500 on one knife":groucho:

thats very smart of you... the yen exchange rate has depreciated from USD1 =76 yen Sept 2012. Currently the rate is about USD1 =close to 99yen. When the market was booming.. the prices of steel has rocketed and so did the Knife makers in spite of their stronger Yen. In nspite of the drop in steel prices they didnt adjust their price downwards. Thus they need not adjust their prices with their weaker yen and still be profitable... for time being.

IN other words, suppliers buying new stocks wld get it cheaper or you buy directly in Japan you get the killer discount.. courtesy of the exchange rate; thanks to "Abenomics"

Come to think of it made in Japan Goods shld be cheaper and the Koreans are bitching abt the exchange rate.

Out of interest.. in late 1980s the exchange rate was USD1 =240Yen!! it has appreciated significantly.

rgds
d

I kind of like that giant shig usuba that Maxim has. BTW, this is a kind of wish thread and if you have something that someone here wants, you have to send to them!.... Now! Those are interweb rules.

maybe a good starting point for trying to bribe a certain forum member out of his DT feather Damascus scimitar ....:sofa:

$1500 can barely buy 1" of a bob kramer custom. $15,000 is more realistic if you want a high quality kitchen knife. :happymug: :knife:

$1500 can barely buy 1" of a bob kramer custom. $15,000 is more realistic if you want a high quality kitchen knife. :happymug: :knife:

Please define "high-quality". Is Kramer going to cut 30x better than a $500 high-quality knife?

If going by pure performance, one is paying 14.5K for the name, labor and skill it takes produce the steel, and collector's value perhaps, and the rest for quality and performance.

It is possible I don't understand what high-quality is, as I look at knives through the prism of performance rather than appearance.

Please define "high-quality". Is Kramer going to cut 30x better than a $500 high-quality knife?

If going by pure performance, one is paying 14.5K for the name, labor and skill it takes produce the steel, and collector's value perhaps, and the rest for quality and performance.

It is possible I don't understand what high-quality is, as I look at knives through the prism of performance rather than appearance.
+1

I look at knives through the prism of performance rather than appearance.

hmmmm....you seem to think that knives are tools that have a specific function in the scope of accomplishing a larger objective. :happymug:

Me too....but pretty is OK...and you do pretty quite well.

Geez, guys I was :justkidding: lol

I have been pondering this for about a month now. I recently received a small sum of money, and have been wondering if I wanted to get something at about that range. But there is many bills yet to pay so I will be thinking for a while.

I do think that knives are tools first and foremost, and each of the makers has our own idea of aesthetic appeal - some call it rustic and skip a few steps, and some go to a various length finishing a blade or doing intricate handles that are more for an appearance than for utility (for instance handles that look great but are uncomfortable or too small).

I thought that qualities like steel, HT, profile, geometry, ergonomics of a handle, fit and finish etc. are given for a quality knife, but maybe not. It tools world, it's simple - the best performing tools get the best reputation.

Back