Ingoglia 280mm Gyuto-Hiki Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HOLY CRAP!
I just got home from work and saw a nice parcel waiting for me. Yeah, I waited to open it. I had a beer first, poked around on KKF a little......
.....then I opened it and WOWZAH!
I've admired Mr. Ingoglia's work for quite a while but have never had the pleasure of handling one. I am truly impressed by everything about this knife and haven't cut anything with it yet. The pics do not do it justice, it is phenomenal. The profile, grind, handle, F&F, etc, etc, etc!!!!!
Okay, I'm officially going to get on Mario's list ASAP!
Beautiful, I can't wait to use this baby.
Mario, you da man!
Z, thanks for the passaround. If this was my knife I wouldn't let anyone else touch it!
Very generous of you to do this. Look for my review soon.

HOLY CRAP!
I just got home from work and saw a nice parcel waiting for me. Yeah, I waited to open it. I had a beer first, poked around on KKF a little......
.....then I opened it and WOWZAH!
I've admired Mr. Ingoglia's work for quite a while but have never had the pleasure of handling one. I am truly impressed by everything about this knife and haven't cut anything with it yet. The pics do not do it justice, it is phenomenal. The profile, grind, handle, F&F, etc, etc, etc!!!!!
Okay, I'm officially going to get on Mario's list ASAP!
Beautiful, I can't wait to use this baby.
Mario, you da man!
Z, thanks for the passaround. If this was my knife I wouldn't let anyone else touch it!
Very generous of you to do this. Look for my review soon.

I know you like them big,so I hope you find it usefull.

I've got to ship this knife out tomorrow. Man, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this knife. I just wish I had some more time with it.
As I said earlier, the F&F is impeccable. She's quite an excellent cutter as well. Mario's work is truly as close to perfect as I've handled and actually used.
I think this is an interesting hybrid. I've never used a gyuto-hiki before and sometimes find that any hybrid-type knife kind of shows stronger characteristics towards one type of work versus the other. I would say this is a more proficient slicer/suji than it is a chef/gyuto. This thing handled tuna crudo like a champ, but just felt a tiny bit awkward when doing veg prep. If I had some more quality time with it, I'm sure I could adapt..............
.........but that's how passarounds go!
I feel very fortunate to have had an opportunity to use this beautiful blade. I've been posting comments on Mario's work threads and pics for over a year now, but I can't put into words how this thing exceeded my expectations.
My dabblings in Wabi-Sabi knifery make me appreciate this more than the average cook/chef/Knut/knerd......
......I just need to think about what knife I want Mr. Ingoglia to make for me. I'm leaning toward a gyuto, I know it's boring, but as the most versatile knife, why not?
Huge thanks again to everyone involved in this passaround.

Knife has landed safely...it truly is a sick piece of work, can't wait to use it.

Knife went out today and will be missed. This profile was new to me as well but was fairly easy to adapt to due to the edge profile. This knife is everything that people say it is and more. Not just beautiful fit and finish, but also a completely great cutter. The blade is thin and simply slides through food with no effort, food release is awesome. The blade is long (~280) but performs like a much shorter knife...I really just used it in place of gyuto with no issues. The tip was as thin as my Marko 225 which is super thin.

For my tastes, gyuto instead of hybrid and preference to carbon. Would also prefer a larger wa handle, but my hands are rather large.

I most definitely want a Mario gyuto!

Many thanks to Z for a great passaround opportunity!

Cheers!

JMAdams is next...

Yeah, jut haven't picked it up from the post office yet, was out of town. I'll get it tomorrow morning

Picked it up this morning. Haven't used it yet, but so far very impressed. Might have missed the post, but what steel is this? I have a lot of prep tonight, from breaking down a few shoulders to a crap load of onions for soup. Interested to see how it works. Actually nicked my thumb pretty good looking at it, lol.

Btw, never open a knife package at the coffee shop. Before I knew it, there were 7 people swarming around me asking questions, lol.

F&f is spot in, and the profile is very interesting. More impressions tonight after shift

Might have missed the post, but what steel is this?...Btw, never open a knife package at the coffee shop. Before I knew it, there were 7 people swarming around me asking questions, lol.

CPM154.

That's interesting, I did something similar at an indian buffet and no one said anything at all! Nice to know people aren't as reactionary as the media would have us think sometimes.

Enjoy it!

CPM154.

That's interesting, I did something similar at an indian buffet and no one said anything at all! Nice to know people aren't as reactionary as the media would have us think sometimes.

Enjoy it!
I once opened a passaround knife in a coffee shop. I borrowed a pocket knife to do it. I got a couple of comments is all.

Don't do it on the subway, people pull their kids away and run to other cars and if your lucky the undercover cop will be cool.

I was looking forward to hearing the varying opinions..... maybe next time!

Hey guys...this seems to be stalled. Joe is having some difficulty with the post office I think.

I was waiting for an update after his return from DE.

You there Joe?

Latest posts

Back