Interesting Carter Selection

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried a dozen Carters (SFGS and HG). They are all excellent cutters. The HG's have more sticking issues and are thinner. The SFGZ cut just about as well but release better. They are thin like lasers but sturdier due to the grind. The tips are not that thin but I think the hardness (63 hrc?) might make them somewhat fragile. HOWEVER, I have embedded the tip on my 240 funayuki in my board and the tip did not break. They won't set edge retention records but they hold up well enough, in my opinion.

Yeah, it's hard for me to say for sure, but I can't help but think my Carters could handle the "daily grind" in a pro kitchen. In fact, my little SFGZ is one friggin' tough knife! They're definitely not beaters, but for the money they sell for (and are worth, in my opinion), they shouldn't be beaters anyways.
I see Carters excelling at a sushi bar, or upscale restaurant, but not fitting in at a greasy spoon. Makes sense, considering they're basically $300+ knives.

What do you guys think of his kurouchi knives in comparison to the SFGZ series?

I have a 6.0sun Funayuki that I use in a pro kitchen. I've had it since December and its held up well so far. I mostly use it on the line when I work grill or garde manger and I only have to cut small veg and slice out small cuts of steaks, dice tuna for tartare, etc. It gets very sharp and holds the edge pretty well, though I would agree that retention is much better with my HD gyuto.

I have used a Carter at work, and while I wouldn't chose one if that were the only gyuto I carried, I would make room in my kit for one. Edge retention isn't spectacular, but I can get through a shift or two with a Carter, depending on what I had to do those days. I use different knives for different tasks, so why not keep a Carter for a task when you really need a great cutter that is really sharp? Other gyutos can do the majority of your work, and when you feel like having some fun or want to do something specific, break out the Carter.

How long did his blue steel edges last? Actually, I'll be able to answer that soon enough. But still, how do they compare?

Back