Interesting Carter Selection

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a nice knife. And a lot of money!

This came up before, and I think that Murray has to forge the knife from "scratch" rather than work from a laminated sheet of stock to be able to put the "MS" mark on it. I may be wrong, but I think his damascus blades fall into this category.

Looks like you're right Rick...the "MS" stamp is on the blade below.

And the price reflects it!

I'm lucky enough to have one of Murray's "seconds" on loan, and let me tell you...I sure as crap can't figure out why it's a second!

Sorry I am late to this, but I love the hooker comparison. Well, and the midget as well.

Doesn't he have sales every so often? Isn't it about time for one?

Alright, someone just took the wabocho I was going to buy. Who was it? j/k seems like many have sold since this thread started.

What's funny is that last night, I was perusing the site contemplating a purchase just last night, and the question about all the tiny Carters and tiny Carter lovers out there stuck in my head.

Bumping an old thread here, but there are some nice knives available right now. A number of HG gyutos from just under 200mm to 245mm, which I rarely see. I have absolutely no need for another knife right now, but can't help looking at his site from time to time.

I have been drooling over his knives for a couple of weeks now...wishing I had the money to buy one

I think its ironic that the budget knives perform better than the HG stuff, IMHO.

Pesky

Dammit, I just got paid today and since I've already pre-paid my rent for this month I had nothing preventing me from picking up this 7.4 sun funy.

:bliss:

100_7517.JPG

Does anyone actually use a Carter in a pro kitchen? I know many people here collect them, just not sure how much actual use they get. I liked it for short term home use, but could not use it long term, 8 hours/day. I didn't reach for any of mine on a regular basis so I sold them, save one. Found others to take the pressure of a busy kitchen better. And definately agree on the budget knives being better.

Does anyone actually use a Carter in a pro kitchen? I know many people here collect them, just not sure how much actual use they get. I liked it for short term home use, but could not use it long term, 8 hours/day. I didn't reach for any of mine on a regular basis so I sold them, save one. Found others to take the pressure of a busy kitchen better. And definately agree on the budget knives being better.

What about them make it difficult to use for long periods of time/in a pro kitchen? I only use my knifes at work, and if they arent that great for pro use then I would rather not spend that much money on one

Better how?

I have had two HG knives, both with horrible overgrind issues, one of them had two obvious overgrinds, the other a large one. Dave managed to fix one of them pretty well. The other was sold to a friend at a low sum. The hand rubbing to a mirror finish, IMO looks like a 220 grit belt. Definately nothing worth paying extra money for.

That's too bad about the grind issues on your knives. I wasn't aware Carter was going for a "mirror" finish at all on the HG series. Mine is/was nowhere near what I would call "mirror" polished, and there are faint vertical scratches on the entire blade that definitely don't appear to have been put there by hand. I guess the one real upgrade then would be the handle, which I felt was quite nice (even though I have now sent it off to Marko to be replaced). I can definitely understand the argument that the SFGZ series is a better value, but no knife at this price point should have "horrible" issues with the grind. I would have sent it back to Murry before paying Dave to try and fix it.

What about them make it difficult to use for long periods of time/in a pro kitchen? I only use my knifes at work, and if they arent that great for pro use then I would rather not spend that much money on one

This is just my opinion on the three I have owned. The edge retention is just not as great as one would think. I would put Kono's (white and HD), TKC, Hiromoto blue and Moritakas above Carters in terms of retention. I would rate the steel on par with Fujiwara FKH, but it does get sharper... crazy sharp. At almost $600.00 for a 240 gyuto, I just think there are better options. Anything less than 240mm in my opinion is not for a pro kitchen anyway.

Carters knives are thin, usually <1.5mm, and the spine is not rounded in the least, for that matter, either is the choil, I found both his HG knives uncomfortable in a pinch grip due to these issues.

The two HG knives that I owned were very thin at the tip, making them prone to breaking. I don't know about you, but I really work my knives and don't treat them like babies, they need to be able to take a slight licking in a kitchen and the two I had did not. That is why I asked if anyone actually used them in a pro kitchen. A few months ago a question was posed as to which knife was reached for the most, if I remember correctly no one, maybe save a Norwiegan, said Carter.

I had never broken a tip until my Carter. Call it my lack of care or not, but have never had any other issues with tip breakage.

I am confident his custom knives are in a different category than most his HG and SFGZ knives, but again at $600.00 for a 240, I'm would be getting a Martel, Mario, Marko, Del...if you get my drift.

Wow, they really dont sound like very good knives for heavy use...a super thin, non round choil and spine, with sub-par edge retention...I think I'd rather use my kono white. And its a third of the cost.

I wasn't looking to pick up a gyuto from Carter, I've mostly been eying a SFGZ yanagi (in the 180-200mm range) to use as a line knive, but given there price tag ($300+) I have been a little hesitant to get one, and now I think I'll skip it.

Mind you, I am probably in the minority here, I am sure someone else will chime in.

I have just tried one Carter and I love mine. I have a white core, and as you know white will take a sharp edge, but the edge retention is poor. There are better steels out there, and some will have far better edge retention than others. I have tried white 1, 2 and 3 and they all get supersharp, maybe its darkhoeks sharpeningsskills, but I think this alloy is the sharpest Ive ever tried, specially with the singlebeveled Ive played with :) Without any experience I think 52100 is a better alloy than white for those who wants edge retention.

Carter have raised his prices last year and is starting to get expensive. But I was close to buy a new carter the few last weeks, but ended up with a DT instead. Anyway I love the one I have, but for a pro kitchen that uses the knife just as a tool it might be other choices out there.

Back