intro & questions: first 'true' japanese knife - help needed

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:thankyou333: a lot - I did not expect so much help so quickly. I guess I'll keep hanging around here.

Now onto your suggestions and ideas:

- Michael -
I have no problem with the bubble bursting - should I not be able to get a 'fully hand forged' knife for the price I am aiming to, then I will get a 'semi hand forged' one ;) Seriously - it would feel great to get a knife that was fully handmade, but I do agree that 300 is probably not cutting it.

Thank you on the steel-info of some of those german knives.

I only use wooden boards (no ceramic or plastic!) - and I would consider them OK. Not too hard or such (no edge chipping with them).

Translating a bit info about the knives I consider interesting is a great idea - see more at the bottom of this post.

This german shop I have found is online-only. I have yet to come across a decent knife shop in Germany and if I do - the prices will be even higher.

The knife I am after may indeed flex a little - as long as it does not bend.

- Pensacola Tiger -
Indeed I did not scroll down the page. The KAGAYAKI VG-10 does look interesting.

- Robert -
The Hattori FH-9 Wa Guyto does look interesting too.

- Timthebeaver -
I for some reason though that VG-10 is 'superior' to Swedish steels like 12c27 (my Mora 2000) or the mentioned 13c26. AEB-L steel is new to me.

US or DE:
- I have in principal no problem buying from US is the price is right or id the knife I chose can not be bought here at all. The problem is as mentioned - the tax (around 25%) plus shipping (JCK ships for very good prices though). Also returns are nearly impossible or with lot of fuss.
- I have also got that impression that the German shop is expensive, but some of their knives look really nice. Returns in Germany cost me nothing and I have 2 weeks to decide whether I want to keep the knife or not.

Purpose of the knife
Meat - anything that has no bones it it (chicken, pork, beef). I am VERY rarely filleting fish (too far from ocean). Vegetables - more like larger salads, NO pumpkins (I have a stronger knife for that purpose). Also no carrots - I will use the SHEN I already have as it is very thin. Tomatoes - maybe, there I will probably keep using the SHEN. Hard salami or cheese - probably also not. Maybe pineapple or water melon here and then. In general no work that requires excessive force.
So - mostly meat :)

Knives I find interesting (translation when needed):
(includes also knives above my price range - just to give you an idea)
- (*) JCK Inazuma: 12c27 core clad with stainless damascus
- Hattori FH9 Wa-Guyto 270mm
- The KAGAYAKI VG-10 KV-8 Wa-Guyto 240mm
- (*) Aoki Gingami 3 Ichii Exklusiv Suminagashi Sujihiki : hand forged blade Gingami-3-Suminagashi stainless steel (any good?) - 33 layers, both-sided bewel, Ichii-wood, weight 136g
- (*) AOKI Sakai Takayuki Suminagashi Tsuchime Wa Sujihiki 24 cm : stainless damascus (Suminagashi) steel with 45 layers, weight 120g
- Sakai Takayuki Shobu 24cm : single sided bevel stainless blade has two layers - the core is 8A steel ( C0,8- Mo 0,25,Cr 13,V 0,1-0,25%) and is clad with soft stainless steel. Thickness at the spin 3mm, weight 124g
- Sakai Takayuki Cheff Wa Gingami 3 - Shobu 24 cm : hand forged single bevel blade made from two layers: core is Gingami 3 (C0,95-1,1, Si <0,35, Mn 0,6-1, P <0,003, S <0,02, Cr 13-14,5) clad with soft stainless steel. Spine thickness 3mm, weight 136g
- (*) Suisin Inox Honyaki Wa Sujihiki 24 cm : stainless steel blade from 12c27, weight 100g
- (*) Takamura PM damascus Sujihiki 27 cm : hand forged stainless blade from 'PM-damascus' steel (any idea what is that?) - although it seems that the 'PM steel' is only the core and is clad with some kind of stainless damascus - I am not sure, both sided bevel,
- Yoshikane Raiun damascus Gyuto 24 cm : hand forged blade with ATS-34 core and clad with stainless damascus, both sided bevel 50:50, thickness at spine 3.8mm, weight 204g
- (**) Yoshikane SLD Damast Kiritsuke, 26 cm : hand forged blade from Hitachi SLD damascus steel (C1,5%.Si0,3%.Mn0,4%.Cr12%.Mo0,9%.V0,3%), both sided bevel 50:50, thickness at spine 3.5mm, weight 180g, it is mentioned that the owner should have experience with sharpening and that the blade may be harder to sharpen.
- (*) Zensho/Yoshikane SKD Kasumi Gyuto 240 mm - what is the difference between SKD and SLD steels?

(*) means I rally like the knife, (**) means I consider is stunning and may sell some of my camera gear to get it :)

Please have a look at these and let me know what you think. Price-to-quality ratio is what matters here - the knives listed above are of different 'levels'. I am also opened to suggestions - personal experience counts a lot.

Thank you

Takamura uses R2 Powdered Metal which is an excellent super fine grained stainless steel with the ability to get super sharp and has extreme edge retention. Also sometimes called SG-2. This steel is sometimes hardened up to 64-65 HRC. I have a few R2 blades from both Tanaka and Itou and am still impressed with them. For a PM steel of this caliber it is quite easily sharpened and maintained.

Based on the knives you've "starred" above, you really seem to be concerned with how a knife looks. The only "starred" knife above that is not a damascus or tsuchime (or similar design) knife is the Suisin Inox Honyaki.

Is it safe to say that how the knife looks is the most important thing to you?

- I have in principal no problem buying from US is the price is right or id the knife I chose can not be bought here at all. The problem is as mentioned - the tax (around 25%) plus shipping (JCK ships for very good prices though). Also returns are nearly impossible or with lot of fuss.

I think if you are careful with your choice you will not want to send a knife back. Also if you choose something that is strongly recommended here, if you do decide you don't like it you will probably be able to sell it to someone for near purchase price.

It is hard to help you narrow your list down as you say some of them are out of your price range and to look through them all and try to figure out what is going on is too much like hard work!!!

Easier would be to say "I like knife X, but it is too expensive." Or, "I like knife Y, except it has wrong handle".

Sounds like you want something that looks like the Yoshikane, but for $300?

As mhlee says, are you more concerned with having a knife that is going to be great to use, or great to look at? If I had choice between an Inazuma and a CarboNext for example, I would choose the CarboNext every time, because all advice points to it being a far better knife for the money and in use, **but** it doesn't look like a traditional Japanese knife....but I know it is a better knife.

You may have to end up compromising. I know I did as I bought a knife that looked really boring (the CarboNext) but when it arrived it was far lovelier than I was expecting, and is a joy to use.

Robert

The only knife on your list that I have owned is the Suisin Inox Honyaki. It was a great knife, but a bit too light for my tastes. I would also note that at 240 this would fall somewhere between a long petty (I'm thinking 180-210) and a 'real' slicer which to me is 270-300. Other than the weight (which is a personal thing), it was an exceptional knife, steel was great, fit and finish was excellent and I really liked the handle.

My other thought here is that with the damascus knives you are paying for the finish and that is fine, but maybe you could up the ante by spending the same money on something that appears somewhat plain and is just a screamer when it comes to cutting.

As to JCK, somehow the duties in most places don't seem to be too bad, which I think is because he undervalues the knife when shipping.

:2cents:

Before I will continue it seems that I need to clarify one more point, so ...

Looks -vs- Use
Indeed most of the (*) knives have some kind of damascus blade (but not all). What you have not noticed is that all (*) knives have darker handles ;) Seriously - I simply marked knives that, based on how they look, are more appealing to me simply because I do not have enough knowledge to really say which is better or more suitable. That is where your advice comes to play. After all :newhere:

So no, the looks does not play a dominant role, but I would not be bothered if the knife would indeed look good.

Please keep sharing your opinions and advices. Thanks to you I have already much better idea about what could be a good choice.

- ThEoRy -
Thanks on the info about the steel Takumara uses - all I found was 'PM steel' what is obviously just a producer. Should I assume that all stainless Takumara knives uses the R2 steel?

- Robert -
your point about CarboNext is taken - I will seriously consider the knife.

Some of the points I marked with (*) are indeed above the stated 300 Euro, so this does say : "I like this knife but it is too expensive" :)

There are no 'wrong handles' apart from the point that I would prefer adarker one. I do not know which wood would be preferable for the handle and which should rather be avoided. The handle should in the first place feel well in hand.

- chinacats -
I am not 100% sure whether to get 240 or 270 knife. I have to think about that.

Customs in Germany:
My personal experience:
Undervaluing the goods does not do much help in Germany - for purchases from outside EU I have to bring prove of payment to the customs. It would have to be a gift from private person and THEN I could argue with the customs about the real value (and would still end up paying the tax on the value I would manage to persuade the guy about). Smart b- :censored:-rds :sad0:

which I think is because he undervalues the knife when shipping.

yep. pretty much. i even go about to telling sellers to declare it as a gift, after putting a much lower value just to be sure. customs officers here are greedy buggers.

My personal experience:
Undervaluing the goods does not do much help in Germany - for purchases from outside EU I have to bring prove of payment to the customs. It would have to be a gift from private person and THEN I could argue with the customs about the real value (and would still end up paying the tax on the value I would manage to persuade the guy about). Smart b- -rds

i lie my butt off when needed to and explain to them that the value of the things that are sent to me are more of an educational one. =D i never divulge how much i get them. they're wiley and clever alright, even here.

Some of the points I marked with (*) are indeed above the stated 300 Euro, so this does say : "I like this knife but it is too expensive" :)

;) ;) fair enough ok! - it is a lot of work though to click through on them all and see whether you can afford them, and then try to figure out what it is that they all have in common...

The thing is that reading through this thread I still have no idea which knives you may be leaning towards (you have just posted over ten knives that you like and after 4 pages af advice, you now mention that you would really like a dark handle!). I am sure you will get there, and people here seem to really like helping people get to a decision that they will be happy with, but narrowing it down might help.

The Gesshin Ginga that has been mentioned is very often mentioned as being a really superb knife. I should point out that I have never used one of these knives, but often see it spoken of with awe. I think you can only buy them from japanese knife imports, but maybe you could have a skype conversation with the owner (Jon Broida) to discuss what you want and stuff like shipping etc. From what people say he is very very helpful and will steer people to knife that will make them happy, rather than try to sell you an expensive knife. I just had a look at the Gesshin's and it looks like the 240 Gyuto is out of stock.... you could alwyas get a 210, or a 270, or a sujihiki? [or if you decide on that knife find out when it wold be in stock again] Whatever, Jon would I am sure be able to give you some face to face help.

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/gesshin-1/gesshin-ginga/gesshin-ginga-270mm-stainless-wa-gyuto.html#

Sadly the Ginga handle is not dark wood, but maybe Jon could rehandle it for you?

Robert

- (*) Zensho/Yoshikane SKD Kasumi Gyuto 240 mm - what is the difference between SKD and SLD steels?

Pinched from DrNaka (I miss his input, he was a great source of information on the Japanese makers)

Yoshikane's standard gyutos use SKD-11 (D2) they also have some high gyutos with an amazing finish that use SKD-12 (A2).

I visited Yoshikane Hamano and his Migaki (Kasumi) double bevel kitchen knives he makes now and have the SKD mark are SKD 12 and not SKD11.

His Sekisou line with the stamp SLD are SKD11.

He used also VG10 before but he recommends now SKD 11 and 12.

I think Heiji use the same SKD 11 and 12 because Yoshida san told me that Heiji comes to his workshop and gets some "stuff".

and a contribution from Larrin Thomas, who most here would agree is one of the most knowledgeable folks regarding knife steel:

A2 has a much smaller carbide size and volume than D2. A2 is much better for kitchen knives, in my opinion. It's carbide structure is close to simple carbon steels but has the harder chromium carbides for better wear resistance. Ease of sharpening and edge stability should be near carbon while offering better wear resistance and some corrosion resistance (i.e. semi-stainless).

Since you have put a star by it, the 240 SKD gyuto from JNS is handmade, great steel, burnt chestnut handle, superb grind and excellent fit and finish. It's also quite narrow (50mm at heel) and the profile lends itself well to slicing (imo). It is longer than a Sakai 240 (which are typically measured handle to tip, Yoshikane measures from heel to tip), mine is 261 to the handle.

I think it's an absolute steal at the current pricing, especially for those of us in the EU.

Before I will continue it seems that I need to clarify one more point, so ...

- chinacats -
I am not 100% sure whether to get 240 or 270 knife. I have to think about that.

I think the point I was trying to make is that if you would like a slicer (suji) that maybe the better length would be 270+, where if you are looking for a gyuto that 240 might be a better size. The difference is usually in both blade height and blade profile. If you are planning on using the knife as more of an all purpose knife and you do not have 'professional' skillset, you may be better off just focusing on a gyuto. As to the handle color I cannot offer advice:scratchhead:

Looks -vs- Use
Indeed most of the (*) knives have some kind of damascus blade (but not all). What you have not noticed is that all (*) knives have darker handles ;) Seriously - I simply marked knives that, based on how they look, are more appealing to me simply because I do not have enough knowledge to really say which is better or more suitable. That is where your advice comes to play. After all :newhere:

So no, the looks does not play a dominant role, but I would not be bothered if the knife would indeed look good.

Please keep sharing your opinions and advices. Thanks to you I have already much better idea about what could be a good choice.

If you really care about performance, how about answering these questions I asked in a previous post?

But, aside from looks, balance and high edge retention, what kind of performance are you looking for? Something that slices cleanly and easily, or something that tougher and more substantial? How hard are you on your knives? Do you bang them on boards?

And, how do you cut? Do you pull cut, chop straight down, chop forward? What kind of grip do you use and how do you hold a knife?

And, I'd say, let's start over and please complete this questionnaire.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/2058-Which-knife-should-you-buy

The knives you chose above are all over the place. You didn't seem to consider that some are single bevel, others are sujihikis and others are gyutos. These knives are not completely interchangeable. The only consistent quality was that they are all damascus except for the Suisin Inox (and somewhat darker handled).

If you want a slicer, then focus on slicers that are not single bevel since you want to cut vegetables and other things. If you want a chef's knife/gyuto, then focus on getting a chef's knife.

But, right now, it looks like you want a great knife that does everything, is pretty, and under 300 euros. If there were a universally great knife that did that, I would imagine there would have been some consensus as to what knife YOU should buy, which there isn't.

The only knife that I can think of that I know people rave about that fits all of your desires, for the most part (it is not damascus), off the top of my head is the Gengetsu Gyuto which is not a slicer and is out of stock. http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/gengetsu/gengetsu-240mm-stainless-wa-gyuto.html

I also really feel that you should just go to that store and see and handle those knives. By the way, is there a reason why you haven't gone there yet?

Michael - point take, so here is my best effort to answer:

First to your previous questions I have missed:

Is it safe to say that how the knife looks is the most important thing to you?
No, the looks is not the most important. I do however respond to how things I use look and feel. So if there will be two similar knives (performance wise) and the I prefer the look of costs say 50 Euro more I may get it. I would not buy 'inferior' knife for more money just because it 'looks batter'

One more thing, how stiff of a knife do you want? Completely stiff with no flex, or a little flex?
The knife does not need to be entirely still, but it should not flex too much under normal use. As I would prefer thinner knife I realize that only certain level of stiffness can be achieved. The knife could be be a bit stiffer than the I have 6" SHUN knife I have. It should NOT bend with little flexing.

But, aside from looks, balance and high edge retention, what kind of performance are you looking for? Something that slices cleanly and easily, or something that tougher and more substantial? How hard are you on your knives? Do you bang them on boards? And what kind of cutting board do you use?
The knife should slice rather cleanly than be 'tough or substantial' I have a 6" relatively strong knife I use for task like cutting HOkkaido pumpkin (quite hard) or de-boning. I am not hard on my knives and I do not bang them on boards. I am using a cutting board similar to one seen in this video

And, how do you cut? Do you pull cut, chop straight down, chop forward? What kind of grip do you use and how do you hold a knife?
When I slice meat I pull/push (like sawing a wood) with as little pressure as necessary. No chopping. I hold the handle with all my fingers - I do not put my index or thumb finger on the spine. I prefer the thin grip of my SHUN to fatty 'western' grip of the german knife which makes it feel heavy in hand (well, it is heavier than SHUN)

Now onto the proper questionnaire:

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?
Long bladed slicer for meet mostly). I think I ways a long not too wide blade probably with full bevel. Possibly one sided - I do not know how does the single sided bevel influences the slicing/cutting. As mentioned already: stainless, semi-stainless or maybe carbon clad with stainless. Concerning the blade shape - I would tend for narrower and thinner blade, but I will listen to your advice here.

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?
I am (finally) adding this knife - right now we do not have any knife with blade over 6". We have two knives with 6" blade - one the very thin 6" SHUN and one german knife with wider blade that is relatively strong (not for cutting through the bones though). I miss a knife for meat slicing.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
I often find that 6" blade is simply too short to slice comfortably larger pieces of meat. 6" does a great job on smaller stuff - in particular vegetables (cucumber, tomatoes, cheese, hard salami).

Aesthetics- I am attracted by japanese style knives with Wa-handles. I would appreciate stainless damascus blade (not core cladded with 'dummy' stainless damascus).
Edge Quality/Retention- I expected edge quality retention at least as good as my VG-10 SHUN.
Ease of Use- Well, the knife should be a nice slicer
Comfort- - I do NOT appreciate thick handles or handle-heavy knives. In general I am not looking for a heavy knife. I am more of a slicer than a chopper, if that makes sense.

What grip do you use? I have relatively small hands and so prefer thinner handles - the handle of my SHUN is really thin but the shape makes it easy to hold and use.

What kind of cutting motion do you use? Slicing forward/backward, not too much pressure.

Where do you store them? The knife will either be stored in a wooden knife-stand, or if too long to find in its own box in a drawer (until a better solution pops). So a saya could be practical to have.

Have you ever oiled a handle? Actually not - was not necessary. My SHUN has ebony handle and it never seemed not need oiling.

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? Only wood & once that are specifically intended for the purpose. I do not see a problem there.

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing? I have a KME sharpening set which seems suitable for kitchen knives (though stones longer than 4" would be preferable). I do not use sharpening steels/rods.

Have they ever been sharpened? Yes, on regular basis

What is your budget? 300 Euro, maybe more if I would get emotionally attached :laugh:

What do you cook and how often? I cook way too often, but my wife does not complain. I actually enjoy cooking - that is why I am trying to get tools that make the process more enjoyable. The knife mentioned here would get used about once a week.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?, well, Japan. I am not an expert on wood for knives, I would ask for a help here.

So, that is as much as I can produce ... so a few more questions:

I am a bit confused about SDK and SLD steels - seems like there are several of them. How do these compare to other stainless steels used for kitchen knives? Are these stainless, or semi-stainless?

From what you said about "dummy" effect I am not sure that you understand the deal with the Damascus effect on knives.

My understanding is that the reason you get carbon core knives, clad in stainless is so that you basically get the benefit of a carbon edge but lose the hassle of having to look after it quite so intensely because most of the blade is SS. [see the Hiromoto AS series of knives - google pics to see lovely effect this brings]

Damascus effect comes from many layers of steel put together to form the blade, so when it is finished you see all the layers on the blade, and it looks pretty. For a very good illustration of this you can look at this page:

scroll to the picture of the "blank" so you can see how they start off.

So if you have a carbon clad with straight stainless, or clad with stainless with damascus effect, there is no dummy involved. As far as I know you can't "fake" a damascus effect.

Also, as I understand it, Damascus doesn't really serve any intrinsic purpose that relates to the performance of the knife (i may be wrong?) and is used purely as a decorative effect which means the knives can be sold for more money, but also that the knives will probably have taken more time to make (check prices on that hattori range, and also see they are ALL SOLD OUT)

You can look at the SPECIALS page on JCK and see all sorts of things with handles with castles or flowers in them, mirror polished blades, amazing damascus, and they are all very expensive. To get serious damascus effect (like in the link) you have to pay for it.

So (as I understand it, and again I may be wrong) PERFORMANCE/STEEL QUALITY wise, you will get more for your money if you don't go damascus.

(Am I getting this right, everyone?)

There are blades that have a very beautiful wavy line along them (called a HAMON I believe - see HERE) which I think shows where the steel has been hardened differently; this is not the same as damascus. You also get a kind of "one-layer-damascus-effect" near the edge on the Hiromoto AS series mentiond above, which with a bit of know-how and effort [etching/thinning] can be made into a beautiful thing to look at [see THIS PAGE (knife worked on by Dave Martell the founder of this forum).

From following this thread I think you maybe need to either compromise on something, or raise your budget.

You will also probably need to buy, and learn to use, some waterstones [or at the very least one #1000/#6000 combi stone], because I think most here would think it a crying shame if you were to spend $300 on a knife and not sharpen it properly. You should also practise on your old knives before attacking whatever new one you buy.

I also think from what you just answered, that you are now looking at sujihiki knives....

Have you seen this one?

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives-by-type/sujihiki/gengetsu-270mm-stainless-clad-white-2-wa-sujihiki.html#

Robert
:pirate2:

[NB - I welcome corrections from all you more experienced members if I have any basic errors in my understanding of these things]

Concerning my 'dummy' comment about the damascus - it was probably a bit unlucky choice of words. I meant that the damascus used for cladding a hard core of the knife is really not doing much for the performance of the knife (certainly the case with my SHUN knife) and is probably easier to make as one does not need to concentrate of getting edge with good performance out of it. Cladding with soft stainless steel has the same effect.

For me somehow - once the whole blade is made out of damascus steel, then the 'damascus' part is somehow justified. Maybe just a wrong philosophy. Just forget it.

I am aware of what hamon is, though I seem to recall it can be achieved only with certain carbon steels - but I may be wrong.

sujihiki knives
Frankly - I am starting to think whether this would be the better choice for me - but maybe you guys could help me out based on the questionnaire I have filled in. Apart from the obvious difference in blade width - what is the difference between Gyuto and Sujihiki? Both seems to have full both sided bevel .. ?

That one linked above looks great me thinks.

gyuto is the japanese equivalent of a western chef knife. sujihiki can be considered as the japanese equivalent to a slicer.

gyuto and sujihiki are almost always double bevel (except for maybe some custom makers), most of the time they are asymmetric.

aside from the obvious height difference between the two.

Sujihiki is a slicing knife, sort of a western yanagiba.

Gyuto is all purpose.

Also, stop sawing your food!! :razz:

I also really feel that you should just go to that store and see and handle those knives. By the way, is there a reason why you haven't gone there yet?

I have just realized that I have missed this one: Indeed nothing can replace a first-hand experience, but the problem is that the German store in question in ONLINE only. There are no 'real' knife shops in the area where I live. I have visited one smaller knife shop recently, but all they had was a few shuns and then just 'standard' German stuff (and load of crappy knives for living-room-rangers). Maybe there is something in Munich, but I will not get there any soon I fear.

But if anybody around here knows about a decent knife-store in south Germany, then please let me know.

N knife yet - I will go over the options I found (or was advised to look into) and pick one.

I am still open for suggestions - now that I have filled the complete questionnaire ;)

I am still open for suggestions - now that I have filled the complete questionnaire ;)

I must admit I am puzzled by the fact that you say you cook "way too often" yet you are only going to use the knife you are looking to buy once a week.

Either this means that you think cooking once a week is too often, or that for some reason you don't want to use this $300 knife you are going to buy each time you cook.

I think if you are going to buy yourself a good knife, you should be buying a knife that you will use every time you make a meal... or am I missing something?

I already manage to find some info about the knife shops in Munich (although it is not clear how does it looks with japanese kitchen knives offering there), but as I said I will probably not manage to get there any soon.

I am cooking more than once a week :lol2: but it does not require a 270 mm gyuto every time. But it is quite possible that the knife will get used more than that once I have it :)

OK, I went through what I have learnt here and what I have found that can actually be bought and here is my shortlist of knives I am seriously considering.

I am not yet sure whether I will be getting gyuto or sujihiki with either 240 or 270 blade, but most of the knives below are offered in with both blade designs.

So - the list (ordered roughly according to cost, give or take):
1) AOKI Sakai Takayuki Suminagashi Tsuchime (probably VG-10 core clad is stainless damascus)
2) Suisin Inox Honyaki (19c27 steel if I am not mistaken)
3) Gangetsu Stainless (semistainless core with stainless clading)
4) Gangetsu Stainless (white #2 carbon core clad in stainless)
5) AOKI Gingami 3 Ichii (is this the 'G3' steel?)
6) Gessin Heiji semi stainless
7) Yoshikane SLD Damast Kiritsuke (I understand the Hitachi SLD is the core that is clad by stainless damascus)
- not much user info on the web. The knife does not have full bevels - how does it slice?
8) Takamura PM damascus Sujihiki (PM-stell (?) clad in stainless damasucs)
- anyone with experience? I found rather little information

Now before you go on that that is not a 'short' list please let me explain:
(1) is a cheapest option (155 Euro) of the bunch and I will ask seller for more info. If you have any experience please let me know.

(2 - 5) are the knives that have the best chance to land in my kitchen with price between 300 - 400 Euro (buying here costs comparably to US after import). Here is where I would appreciate your comments most - what would be your choice and why.

(6) - would cost me more (around 500 Euro) and the question is whether the price difference compared to (2-6) is worth it.

(7 - 8) are both close to 500 Euro, somewhat different design than the rest. I am not sure whether I will spend this much, I would love the hear more about these.

thank you

I guess I have made a mistake - browsing this forum for Devin Thomas knives. Resulted in sweaty palms and shaking hands :O ... just amazing work.

So if anybody would feel like selling one in a good shape and willing to ship to Germany just PM me ... please ...

Takamura PM damascus Sujihiki (PM-stell (?) clad in stainless damasucs)

pm steel = powdered metal

usually stuff like s35vn, hap40, cpm154 etc. many kinds of powdered steels used for knives these days. if the maker doesn't say what it is, i guess they want it to remain a secret. =D

:thankyou333:OK guys, save your breath - the decision was taken! :knife:

So - it finally is the Yoshikane SLD Sujihiki 270mm from Maksim @ JNS. Maksim vas VERY fast to reply my questions. Once he told me that he is clearing his Yoshikane knives and had only a few at discounted price I just could not say NO. I have also ordered Yoshikane SKD Kasumi Paring 80mm with chestnut handle (also discounted).

Before being shipped to its new home in south Germany the Sujihiki will get a new handle (also a chestnut - you remember I mentioned that I like the dark ones ;) ).

I will let you know once I get them in my hands and post a few photos.

So for now - :thankyou: for all your input (and patience).

I could of course use a few of those '.. what a great choice ..' or ' .. those are my favorite knives .. ' . Just kidding, I am just so excited :wink:

What MAY follow at some point a are a few nice sharpening stones, but first I want to see whether my KME diamond sharpeners will do.

I will be, however, getting a magnetic knife holder.

I could of course use a few of those '.. what a great choice ..' or ' .. those are my favorite knives .. ' . Just kidding, I am just so excited :wink:

What MAY follow at some point a are a few nice sharpening stones, but first I want to see whether my KME diamond sharpeners will do.

Know nothing about it, but looks very nice and seems a few people on here snapped up similar deals.

I don't know if you read the FAQs about diamond stones on the KME site yet, but I am not sure you would want to be going anywhere near your new $700 knife with them...

;)

don't know if you read the FAQs about diamond stones on the KME site yet, but I am not sure you would want to be going anywhere near your new $700 knife with them...
;)

Indeed, that is why I started a new thread exactly on this topic :)

BTW, U got 2 knives for about $600, not 1 for $700 :razz:

BTW, U got 2 knives for about $600, not 1 for $700 :razz:

I thought that the knife was at a discounted price, and I imagine you had to pay a little extra for the rehandle, no?

Good score Matus, please report back when you get a chance to use it a bit.

Cheers!

Back