intro & questions: first 'true' japanese knife - help needed

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good choice!! Yoshikane SLD isn't best cutter in my collection; but, it is my favor all-around knife!! enjoy!!

So the knives have arrived. They were actually delivered yesterday (that makes it delivery from Denmark in less than 24 hours!).

They look great, they feel great. The sujihiki is actually clad with stainless damascus (I actually did not expect that), so it really looks great. The cutting abilities are yet to be seen, but I am positive about that too :)

So from my side a BIG :thankyou333: to Maksim from JNS and to you guys.

I will try to get you guys some photos, but that may be a problem as I am kind of 'in between' when it comes to decent digital cameras, but I will see what I can do.

Next in line is a magnetic knife bar which will be followed by some nice sharpening stones. And that is ALL I need, no more knives or such, I promise :lol2:

So - the magnetic bar from walnut-wood http://klotzaufklotz.de (it was easier for me to order from Germany than US or New Zealand and the bar looks nice in pictures and the price was right and 46cm should be the right length) should be on its way. Some nice sharpening stones will probably follow soon :happy1:

So - the magnetic bar from walnut-wood http://klotzaufklotz.de (it was easier for me to order from Germany than US or New Zealand and the bar looks nice in pictures and the price was right and 46cm should be the right length) should be on its way.

Unfortunately the magnetic holder will be returned. The main reason is - it has only one row of magnets what means that longer or heavier knives may swing (not slip though) once or twice if they are not attached perfectly vertically. Also - the bar is only 4 cm wide what feels a bit on the narrow side with larger knives. The Finish of the bar was actually very nice (and the seller fast on responding to my questions and shipping). This bar would really be suitable only for lighter/smaller knives

So - I have to find a different one. I like the one from http://www.knifecraft.co.nz - the way it is designed it keeps the knives further away from the wall what makes then easier to grip, but it is on the pricey side (shipping and taxes).

The quest for sharpening stones continues too (waiting for some answers from Jon - I somehow find those Gesshin stones hard to resist :) )

That NZ one looks nice, but the knives in the pictures all look like they are attached vertically, which might be an issue?

That NZ one looks nice, but the knives in the pictures all look like they are attached vertically, which might be an issue?

No issue there as long as you have TWO rows of magnets and therefore each knife is hold it its vertical position with two magnets. The magnetic bar I am about to send back has only in one single place two magnets in vertical orientation what greatly improves the stability of the knife being attached. But it is only in one place AND the bar is rather narrow at 4cm. Width of 6-8 cm together with 2 rows of magnets instead of one should make the bar much more usable.

Have you raised your concerns with the bar manufacturer? It seems like they need to have a new look at their design.

Have you raised your concerns with the bar manufacturer? It seems like they need to have a new look at their design.

I did explain in detail why I have decided to return the bar - it is up on them to consider a possible design update. I also found that given the thickness of the board (about 2 cm) - the knife handles are very close to the wall and when you try to grab the knife you will always have to touch the wall which I do not find practical. In comparison - the design from NZ guys gives you a bit more space and so grabbing the knife should be easier.

I will check out the prices for these kind of magnets and maybe try to make my own magnetic bar. Not necessarily to save money, but just 'produce' something myself again :)

I have just realized that once I have got the knives I should have a closer look at our cutting boards. While all our boards are made of wood (the bamboo ones are only used to cakes, do not worry :) ).

I am aware of the BoardSMITH (those boards look really nice but seem a bit thick at 2"), but I would prefer to a get a nice board in Europe, as importing is really not attractive on this type of article. So - any ideas about cutting boards in EU?

thanks

Back