Japanese Knives Introducing Gesshin Kagero

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These look awsome Jon! How do these compare to the hattori fh gyutos?

they have more distal taper, they are thinner behind the edge, thinner at the tip, thicker at the heel, have nicer rounded spine and choil, are clad versus solid steel, have better edge retention, are easy to sharpen, slightly more brittle towards the tip and less so near the heel, and come with a much more badass case ;)

they have more distal taper, they are thinner behind the edge, thinner at the tip, thicker at the heel, have nicer rounded spine and choil, are clad versus solid steel, have better edge retention, are easy to sharpen, slightly more brittle towards the tip and less so near the heel, and come with a much more badass case ;)

So you're saying you are happy with how these came out?

I dont own one (yet... prefect knife for the GF at home and for me at work but I am talking about a small 210 to keep her away from some of my other knives...)... But they really are awesome knives. The taper and FF is great on them and an excellent price. I will be recommending these to friends looking for a knife in that price range.

-Chuck

Thanks youtube for just halting at the last 8 sec of this video! :D

jbrodiayoutube.jpg

just dont show that picture to the DEA ;) with a face like that, i must have been on drugs :p

Now, that is a Complete reply! :biggrin:

I might just have to come down from Santa Barbara to check this knife out in person.

Thanks Jon!

These look very tempting. With them being very thin at the tip, are they also very flexible? For a frame of reference, how would you compare the toughness and ease of grinding compared to something average, say Mac or Masahiro (vg1?) ?
I'm breaking in a brand new Kono HD right now, but honestly think its a little too thin and light for my preference. How does this compare for geometry behind the edge, or more spefically, feel on the board? I find the Kono feels slightly fragile at the edge if I make any lateral movement with the tip down (like when slicing chives quickly in the French style).

Thanks in advance for any input on this. If it sounds right, I might unload the Kono quickly and try this instead...

they dont have a lot of flex to them at all. Compared to mac and masahiro, they are less tough (read: less resistant to chipping), only slightly more difficult to sharpen, and have significantly better edge retention as well as superior geometry.

when compared to the konosuke, they are thicker at the spine near the heel (thinner at the tip though), not quite as thin behind the edge, but still very thin. Using a rocking motion with these knives is probably not a good idea though (if thats what you're talking about with the chives).

If you have more questions or want more in depth answers, give me a call at the store and i'd be happy to speak with you about this and other options in more depth.

Jon,
Wanted to post earlier, but got busy. Just wanted to thank you for an amazing knife, I received the Gesshin Kagero here in NYC on Thursday, love the knife! I've only used it a couple of times, but love the weight and personality of the knife—a pleasure to use—F+F on it is great. To be honest, I was a bit nervous at first, I had never bought a knife online before this purchase. Your email responses were helpful, and I chatted with you about the knife on the phone [didn't identify myself], and was impressed by your helpfulness and knowledge. Looking forward to getting to know the knife better, sweet blade!

My challenge in the near future is learning to sharpen it properly. The stone I have is a King Combination 250+1000 grit stone that I've had for years, which has served my Sabatier and Wustofs well, is there a preferable stone grit that you'd recommend for the Kagero?

Thanks again!

if sharpening is new to you, just stick with the 1000 grit side of the king and work on technique for now... worry about adding new stones later when your technique is better

Jon,
Wanted to post earlier, but got busy. Just wanted to thank you for an amazing knife, I received the Gesshin Kagero here in NYC on Thursday, love the knife! I've only used it a couple of times, but love the weight and personality of the knife—a pleasure to use—F+F on it is great. To be honest, I was a bit nervous at first, I had never bought a knife online before this purchase. Your email responses were helpful, and I chatted with you about the knife on the phone [didn't identify myself], and was impressed by your helpfulness and knowledge. Looking forward to getting to know the knife better, sweet blade!

My challenge in the near future is learning to sharpen it properly. The stone I have is a King Combination 250+1000 grit stone that I've had for years, which has served my Sabatier and Wustofs well, is there a preferable stone grit that you'd recommend for the Kagero?

Thanks again!

Make sure that stone is flat if it is not already.

Thanks youtube for just halting at the last 8 sec of this video! :D

jbrodiayoutube.jpg
This needs to be cropped into an avatar, lol.

Jon, I'm wondering how you guys plan on developing this line in the future in terms of additional styles, and if so whether or not wa-handles are in the cards. :)

This needs to be cropped into an avatar, lol.

Jon, I'm wondering how you guys plan on developing this line in the future in terms of additional styles, and if so whether or not wa-handles are in the cards. :)

Your wa-handle idea is really interesting... we'll see if it's possible...

Wa with or without the bolster? It shouldn't be that bad to grind down the tang into a Wa style tang and leave the bolster at the front of the ferrule...

I'd be interedted to hear any feedback from people who've been using one of these gyutos. Any comparisons to other knives and/or other random observations. Thanks.

Noone???

Jon,
Does this steel respond to touch-ups, either on a finishing stone or strop, or when it finally dulls does it need to go back to the bottom and start over? I know it's got great edge retention, but how would you say it wears? Does it kinda drop to say 90% then just hold, or is it more of a SLOW, even degradation?

I'm itching to try a PM stainless, and this looks like the front runner.

I only know one person who has one of these and while they love it, it's their first jKnife so they have absolutely nothing to compare it against....unless you want to hear that it's much keener and more lithe than Wusthoff :)

Keep hoping someone living close to me will get one...

I just bought one after using a coworkers and it's a great knife. Honestly, this is my new goto western @ $200 knife recommendation. Steel takes a great edge and holds it very well. Edge retention pretty much is the most important thing to me, and the Kagero delivers. The knife made prep fun again, in what feels like years. Spine and choil are nicely rounded. Handle F&F could be a bit more polished. But in all, freakin' fantastic knife. And this is coming from a carbon guy. Just traded away my Masamoto KS to pick this up.

I'll put up some pics and more detailed impressions once I work with it for a while. Can't wait to get the thing :)

Thanks again, JKI!

I just bought one after using a coworkers and it's a great knife. Honestly, this is my new goto western @ $200 knife recommendation. Steel takes a great edge and holds it very well. Edge retention pretty much is the most important thing to me, and the Kagero delivers. The knife made prep fun again, in what feels like years. Spine and choil are nicely rounded. Handle F&F could be a bit more polished. But in all, freakin' fantastic knife. And this is coming from a carbon guy. Just traded away my Masamoto KS to pick this up.

I'll put up some pics and more detailed impressions once I work with it for a while. Can't wait to get the thing :)

Thanks again, JKI!
Thanks for the input!

there are quite a few of these out there now days, but many of them are chefs who are not on the forums (spread across the US and a few abroad)

Jon,
Have you found the wear resistance to pose any problems with stones other than your gesshin line? IE: Chocera, shapton, bester, etc.? Obviously, they'll all cut at different speeds, but does having a certain type of abrasive make a significant difference?

Back