It was a long day, but.......

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sick. So are you going to sell it on ebay for 5x it's price?:razz:

I was not sure if he would do chevron because of what you had previously said. But he did. And it is amazing. Do not worry it will be with me at ECG.

Haha, just make sure it leaves ECG with you!

It is Kramer's like this one that make me want a Kramer. One of, if not the nicest I have seen. Again, well done. Did you ask him to make any changes to the profile? Width at heel looks a little shorter than usual. Length?

Haha, just make sure it leaves ECG with you!

It is Kramer's like this one that make me want a Kramer. One of, if not the nicest I have seen. Again, well done. Did you ask him to make any changes to the profile? Width at heel looks a little shorter than usual. Length?

You are right. Looks kind of like a traditional japanese gyuto profile, kinda like a Shigefusa. And the saya looks like Marko quality. M have you been moonlighting?

Do you get a new Kramer every month?... How many you got now 4??

You are right. Looks kind of like a traditional japanese gyuto profile, kinda like a Shigefusa. And the saya looks like Marko quality. M have you been moonlighting?

Nope, it ain't mine saya, but it looks good. I guess it's from Bob himself. Congrats, Matt-

PS: I do need to start working on Jason's Kramer saya. Got to squeeze it in-between my regular custom work or might have to moonlight. :)

Hey guys.

I know I promised more info tonight but words can not express the service I had tonight. I am still at the restaurant and it is almost 4am. But I promise I will give you more soon. I have yet to get to use the knife. I am going to sharpen it this weekend and bring it to work Monday to put through the paces. I will give you the entire story tomorrow but the entire process with Bob was great. The knife is stunning! I am still speechless over it. More tomorrow I promise.

Beautiful knife. One of the best looking Kramer's I've seen.

I have to agree with several of the posts above. That is the best Kramer knife profile I have seen and the first that I've actually been impressed with. Congratulations on that absolutely stunning knife.

Let me guess.......

Height at heel....50mm
Edge length...240
Weight......243g

Yeah, it's basically Salty's profile. Surprised that Kramer made the Chevron for you after refusing it for Scott. I don't know about you guys, but Kramers have never done it for me. I don't like the planes of the handle especially at the ferrule, I HATE the emoto, and although the profile on this one is better, it stills seems a little inelegant to me. I'd take a Burke, Carter, Devin, Shigefusa, etc,. etc., over a Kramer any day.

Oh, um, sorry, I'm kinda raining on the OP's parade. Just different strokes for different folks. This is probably the best Kramer I've seen, and I'd love to have it... EBAY!

I certainly understand where scott is coming from and I can not speak on others experiences with Mr. Kramer. I can only speak on mine. So this is my post on my dealings with him. So I got on the waitlist a while ago during one of the periods that he was accepting orders. Name came up and his assistant Arielle sent me an e-mail as well as a phone call about my order. I had mentioned that I was concerned about the blade shape because I was accustomed to using blades with a flatter profile. Bob asked me to give him the dimensions, measurements, and a blue print of what I would like. Just to note both Bob and Arielle were amazingly personable, friendly, not to mention fast and more than accommodating during the entire process. I spoke with both of them multiple times by both phone and e-mail and it was a pleasure every single time. I stressed that I really just wanted a Kramer knife and for him to really use his judgment and that it not need to be tailor to my specifics. I gave them some basic measurements and had sketched the knife after my 240mm shigefusa. I mentioned I liked a really thin tip and did a lot of fine tip work when I cut. I said if it was possible to get the chevron than I would love to get that and if not than another pattern would be great as well. Arielle sent me a bunch of pictures of wood for the handle. Bob made the knife but felt the first one was not perfect. We did not go into the details of why but Bob made a second knife so the delivery date was pushed back a couple weeks. This was no issue to me and did not mind at all but Bob was extremely apologetic about it, but I did not mind at all. It happened to be that Bob was coming to NYC with his wife Leanne (just like Bob one of the nicest people I have met). So he brought the knife with him to the restaurant and latter came back for dinner. I will get to the knife in my next post but this was one of the best experiences I have had. I have actually had a great experience with almost every maker I have dealt with. I spent an hour talking about knives and random things with Bill Burke, can not tell you how many e-mails I swapped with Michael Rader, Gil Cote, Pierre, Devin. All of these guys my experiences have been great with. I certainly do not want to cause controversy or start anything I am just speaking on my experience and Bob to me is one of the nicest and most genuine people I have met.

Congrats :)

It is the best Kramer ever made!
Ive not put my name on the list, but will do now!

I have the same experience as you with the makers. However I live in Norway, so I do it by mail. Bill, Devin and Pierre have all been a pleasure to work with. So is Dave and Marko. The only thing with me is that everyone that is doing business with me is hit by Murphys law :)

Anyway: I really love your Kramer. We got the same taste! I cant wait to see the other knives you are getting. Can I guess?

Devin: Bubblewrap AEB-L
Burke: Sanmai 52100 and 416
Pierre: I dont think you gonna go CPM 154, Im guessing 1084 and 15N20
Rader: Are you getting one here to?? Hmmm W2?

Gil Cote was new to me, but this website came up: http://www.coteknives.com/handcrafted-fillet-knives-for-sale.html
And the fillets are just awesome, and cheap as hell. To bad I dont have funds before next year :)

I certainly understand where scott is coming from and I can not speak on others experiences with Mr. Kramer. I can only speak on mine. So this is my post on my dealings with him. So I got on the waitlist a while ago during one of the periods that he was accepting orders. Name came up and his assistant Arielle sent me an e-mail as well as a phone call about my order. I had mentioned that I was concerned about the blade shape because I was accustomed to using blades with a flatter profile. Bob asked me to give him the dimensions, measurements, and a blue print of what I would like. Just to note both Bob and Arielle were amazingly personable, friendly, not to mention fast and more than accommodating during the entire process. I spoke with both of them multiple times by both phone and e-mail and it was a pleasure every single time. I stressed that I really just wanted a Kramer knife and for him to really use his judgment and that it not need to be tailor to my specifics. I gave them some basic measurements and had sketched the knife after my 240mm shigefusa. I mentioned I liked a really thin tip and did a lot of fine tip work when I cut. I said if it was possible to get the chevron than I would love to get that and if not than another pattern would be great as well. Arielle sent me a bunch of pictures of wood for the handle. Bob made the knife but felt the first one was not perfect. We did not go into the details of why but Bob made a second knife so the delivery date was pushed back a couple weeks. This was no issue to me and did not mind at all but Bob was extremely apologetic about it, but I did not mind at all. It happened to be that Bob was coming to NYC with his wife Leanne (just like Bob one of the nicest people I have met). So he brought the knife with him to the restaurant and latter came back for dinner. I will get to the knife in my next post but this was one of the best experiences I have had. I have actually had a great experience with almost every maker I have dealt with. I spent an hour talking about knives and random things with Bill Burke, can not tell you how many e-mails I swapped with Michael Rader, Gil Cote, Pierre, Devin. All of these guys my experiences have been great with. I certainly do not want to cause controversy or start anything I am just speaking on my experience and Bob to me is one of the nicest and most genuine people I have met.

Not even close to controversy. In my dealings with Bob he was nice enough and by all accounts that has been everyone's impression. My big problem is that I didn't get the knife I waited three years for.

I don't want to bring up the past. I just had to note my envy.

You scored a great knife.

Congrats :)

It is the best Kramer ever made!
Ive not put my name on the list, but will do now!

I have the same experience as you with the makers. However I live in Norway, so I do it by mail. Bill, Devin and Pierre have all been a pleasure to work with. So is Dave and Marko. The only thing with me is that everyone that is doing business with me is hit by Murphys law :)

Anyway: I really love your Kramer. We got the same taste! I cant wait to see the other knives you are getting. Can I guess?

Devin: Bubblewrap AEB-L
Burke: Sanmai 52100 and 416
Pierre: I dont think you gonna go CPM 154, Im guessing 1084 and 15N20
Rader: Are you getting one here to?? Hmmm W2?

Gil Cote was new to me, but this website came up: http://www.coteknives.com/handcrafted-fillet-knives-for-sale.html
And the fillets are just awesome, and cheap as hell. To bad I dont have funds before next year :)

Gil- I have a 7 inch filet knife
devin- he is a busy man and not sure when my order will be, but I have not picked any damascus style just requested a blade shape. (suji) we also did not decide on aeb-l or carbon (wink wink hoss)
Pierre- 7 inch boning knife- european style cpms35v
burke- yep
Rader- I have an 8 inch chef knife in 1086

Stats-
Chevron damascus made of I believe 52100, 15n20, 1080 and 01
Handle- D-shape meiji handle made of Box Elder (this was an upgrade option) the base wood is cocobolo but you can choose from a variety of other woods. Arielle sent me multiple pictures till we found the right one.
I am not sure the wood he uses for the saya but it is dyed black
The pin is made of Mammoth Ivory
Weight- 244g
Height at spine- 54mm
Cutting edge- 247mm
Bob said the hardness was 61-62 rc

I do not have a caliper so I cannot give you the measurements from the spine. I would guess a little thinner than 3mm at the heel, but boy does this knife taper. The edge from heal to tip is extremely thin and the tip it self tapers to a ridiculously thin state.

The knife is very similar to my shigefusa in shape, slightly longer in length and a hair shorter in height. The shigefusa weighs in at 226g, but feel like the heavier knife. The Kramer has less steel and feels very nimble in the hand. I was actually quite surprised it weighed as much as it did. The balance point is exactly where the choil and machi meet. The look similar but are very different knives and I won’t be able to say more on the Kramer in that respects till I sharpen it up and get it back to work.

Bob brought me the knife in a nice carrying case that was pictured in my first post. I was basically speechless once I opened it up and looked at the knife. As far as initial impressions go, any expectation I had was passed. The knife is stunning and there is nothing I could even say would be an imperfection. Bob did mention that he was still trying to figure out the best way to make sheaths and pins. I showed him some of the sheaths I had. His fits very snuggly and there is not need for the pin. The pin fits a little but loose but that is about it.

It's not often a knife maker gets to experience a customers initial reaction. He must have enjoyed that.

Congratulations.

I knew that the shape was similar to Shigefusa. Wow. I think the best knife I have ever seen.

"Bob did mention that he was still trying to figure out the best way to make sheaths and pins. I showed him some of the sheaths I had. His fits very snuggly and there is not need for the pin. The pin fits a little but loose but that is about it."

If he's talking ebony there is a trick to it......Marko?

"Bob did mention that he was still trying to figure out the best way to make sheaths and pins. I showed him some of the sheaths I had. His fits very snuggly and there is not need for the pin. The pin fits a little but loose but that is about it."

If he's talking ebony there is a trick to it......Marko?

Not sure what the problem is. If the pin is too loose in a pin hole, you can apply a little bit of shellac in the hole and that will seal it a bit improving a fit.

I can't tell if this is ebony or stained wood. Matt, is the saya heavy?

M

The saya is on the heavy side, and he said it was dyed black. I actually would not completely say the pin is loose, as long as you firmly push it in it is very stable.

Sharpened the knife today. Probably the most nervous/cautious i have ever been sharpening a knife, sharpens very easily and nicely.

I'm late to comment, but congrats on the new knife! It's a beauty!
I'd love to see it next to another gyuto for profile comparison.
By the way, I love the sharpening comment! It proves we never get over the excitement of FINALLY getting one of favourite's knives.

I'm late to comment, but congrats on the new knife! It's a beauty!
I'd love to see it next to another gyuto for profile comparison.
By the way, I love the sharpening comment! It proves we never get over the excitement of FINALLY getting one of favourite's knives.
The first co-worker I showed it to right after getting it from Bob noted that I was slightly shaking when opening it. I was that excited. I will take more pics tomorrow next to some other blades. The shig is at work so i can not take pictures next to that yet.

:headbonk:
Gil- I have a 7 inch filet knife
devin- he is a busy man and not sure when my order will be, but I have not picked any damascus style just requested a blade shape. (suji) we also did not decide on aeb-l or carbon (wink wink hoss)
Pierre- 7 inch boning knife- european style cpms35v
burke- yep
Rader- I have an 8 inch chef knife in 1086

8a30cbbc.png

So close now... Only a few more days :poke1:

Sheep horn handle, mokume bolster, core: 52100 sides: 416, suji 330 (wild guess)

Back