Itinomonn 240 V2 stainless clad

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to cut some stuff up for the hell of it, V2 is a pretty bad ass steel, never used it before, I did a few passes on a natural Aoto and stropped on leather loaded with CBN Diamond spray 1 micron, and the edge came to life, who made this saya? it is pretty cool even if it is simple, it works?

I'm pretty sure sure Erik(ramenlegend) made the saya. Very cool.

Yep! it was just a quick poplar saya I threw together for it's journey. I was a fan of this knife. It had a decent weight to it. My tastes have really changed over the last year or so. When I got into J knives, I liked them because they were lighter. Now, I like a J knife with a little weight to it. It didn't have the feel of a shig though. There is something about the steel of a shigefusa that just feels "dense". The handle was great, simple with all the right curves. Like cooking, simpler is sometimes better. The only ff problems I could see were the coil, it needed some work. The steel performed well and took an edge nicely. It was a great cutter. I think multiple people have tried to thin it a bit, so it was decent behind the edge. It does have a thick spine though, so it struggles with cubing butter :) (and other tall products). I think the knife is worth the cost for sure. In my opinion, its not a shig, but that's why its half the price.

ramen, this nice is so intriguing to me, I really might get one, can you whip together another one of those poplar sayas? they are useful, I don't need bling, just protection, I could always stain it right?

ramen, this nice is so intriguing to me, I really might get one, can you whip together another one of those poplar sayas? they are useful, I don't need bling, just protection, I could always stain it right?
dont want to hijack the thread, sent ya a pm!

whose next im done....PM me your address todd I think?

A few notes on my experience- This definitely could use some thinning behind the edge. It wasn't terrible by any means, but it felt a bit clunky. The tip could also use some thinning, had a little trouble with fine onion dice. Blade profile is great, nice flat sweet spot without any 'thunk', but a tad short at the heel for my tastes. Dan's handle is very nice, but a little small for my hand, I found myself choking forward on the blade more so than usual. I didn't have the time to put it to the stones so I can't really comment on that side of things. Nor can I really say much about edge retention. Overall I think it's a hell of a deal, which has been my experience with the Ittonomonn line thus far. Thanks again Chris for doing this, especially in light of some the negative passarounds that occurred recently.

First of all, I was not sure how I would feel about the heft of this knife, it is definitely heavy, especially with that custom handle, what is the wood ancient kauri? Second did not know how I would feel about V2 steel, never have used it before, just touched it up on a natural Aoto and stropped it on leather with 1 micron cbn diamond spray, and it was right there, tried it on a few things b/c I couldn't resist lol, nice on everything I tried, I actually kind of like V2 good steel, I brought it to work on Saturday and Sunday and used it for prep not on the crazy line, let my chef try it and he was asking "where is that sharp knife" yesterday, the heft of the knife really surprised me, never had a knife this hefty that was such an awesome cutter, the handle is awesome too, the only thing I noticed was by the choil it was a little rough, but the spine was nice and rounded and comfy, I had something lined up with PT (Pensacola Tiger) with one of these, and I said I was in line to try it out first, so it was pretty cool to get a test drive first, I am most likely going to get one of these for a workhorse knife, it is pretty awesome, especially with the custom handle, and the stickage is also pretty awesome, when I tried it on potatoes at home

It's really sad to see stuff going missing. I've had loaners from people off this forum that barely knew me, sad to see that kind of trust abused.

Just wanted to add a little to this thread. I got the knife back in pretty good shape. Not too much wear and just lost a little height from the blade.
The saya that ramen legend made is excellent. Nice style and perfect friction fit. It was a great surprise to send something out and have it return with a little extra.
I really missed this knife and was happy to be able to use it again.
I spent the better part of the day last Wednesday thinning it out. The cladding DOES NOT like to move!!!!
It looks almost as good as the day I got it, and cuts unbelievably well.

So.........I gave it away to one of my friends/ex-co workers. This guy has been my bud for like 25 years. We've worked together a lot over the years. He changed careers a few years ago and started doing roadie/guitar tech and stage management for heavy/death metal bands. He's worked for Rob Zombie and Megadeth to name a couple and has traveled the world several times over. He was even in Tokyo during the Earthquake!
He's been off the road for a while now and has returned to the world of cooking to pay the bills. I've worked with him a couple of times recently to do tour catering for Widespread Panic and Slayer/Suicidal Tendencies/Exodus. He's been using the God-awful house knives and expressed a desire to get a good knife.
I felt like this knife was perfect for him. This knife has been a world traveler(like my friend) as well. From it's beginnings in Japan to Maksim, to Dan(Twistington), to the US and it's original buyer, to Taro, then to me as a (very generous) gift. I used it for close to a year and then.......well, this passaround.
Thanks to everyone who participated. I will miss this knife, but I know it's doing great things for one of my best friends. Hopefully he'll catch the knife bug and join up here!
Big fat thanks again to Taro as well.
Taro K. -U Da Man!!!!

I really dig this story and happy ending. Thanks for sharing and you Rock bud!

Back