Japanese Knives Jin Deba in action

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jon - Thanks just wanted an idea if the Hon Deba as opposed to the Mioroshi was a lot heftier like those made by other makers in general terms. I did see from your site pics that each is very unique in shape and that is part of why i am thinking of getting one but its also this uniqueness for each that makes it hard to know which one will feel right for me without handling them. Wont be back in LA til the end of the year or even summer of next year but was planning on getting one within the next month or so. I butcher a lot of fish of all sizes, grouper in the 4-6kg range, salmon, 30-40kg tuna, some med sized snapper about 2kg-4kg. Nothing really large per se but some fish like the grouper have really thick bones even at the size we get. I use a shig 195mm deba and as far as size its large enough but i wanted a mioroshi with a bit longer belly(curve) in the profile with a longer edge to deal with some of the more delicate fleshed fish that has a tendency to tare. The Shige is rather thick on the spine and curve very pronounced which makes the edge feel shorter when dealing with wide bodied fish like some grouper we get. Would want the mioroshi to have enough heft to handle some of the bones also mainly rib bones. For spinal bone its not really an issue since i cut through the joint but having sufficient heft makes it easier to cut through those things. i guess these are the pitfalls of shopping for knives online specially with one of a kind handcrafted knives each is so unique.

- mark

In general, the jin debas are on the thinner side. I think, as you have already done, the best thing to do is to just shoot me an e-mail and ask. Then i can look through our stock (we've got stuff thats not online too), and help you figure out what might be the best fit.

Back