Joseph Rodgers slicer

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krstf

Reaction score
It has a slight frown right now, but should make for a nice slicer/"suji" once that is sorted out.

Attachments

• IMG_20230901_162924.jpg
    IMG_20230901_162924.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230901_162914.jpg
    IMG_20230901_162914.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Joseph Rodgers was a well known, well established Sheffield maker. They made a variety of knives and cutlery, from ornate stag-handled silver-bolstered stuff, to simpler daily use stuff. According to the links below, Rodgers' use of the cross trademark dates from 1724 (though registered in 1764).
https://www.sheffieldcollectableknives.com/about/joseph-rodgershttps://www.hawleysheffieldknives.com/n-fulldetails.php?val=r&kel=362The G+crown+R would be George, though I'm not sure how to tell if it was George V (1910-1936) or George VI (1936-1952). Joseph Rodgers also seems to play fast and loose with the "R" stamp. Here's a faded one--but the one on the knife in this thread just looks like a "P" :)
1693770945476.png

It has a slight frown right now, but should make for a nice slicer/"suji" once that is sorted out.

I wouldn't necessarily try to get rid of the frown. It is a slicer so no reason why the frown would really hurt you much in use. It's not really a material defect in this case and I hate t o waste unnecessary antique steel. No need to worry about accordion cutting peppers because you won't ever use this as a board knife. I would just put a nice fresh bevel on it and use it for slicing roasts and steaks. Nice find!! Joseph Rodgers is also one of my favorite Sheffield straight razor manufacturers.

I would vote for George V. And say it's about 100 years old. But that's just my gut based on how the mark appears to be stamped.

Finally had time to put an edge on this one and test cut some protein. Really nice cutter?

Back