Josh's kit

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty chuffed so far. Gets sharp and holds the edge pretty well, pretty comfy handle/choil/spine. The profile is kinda weird; it's quite flat (which I like) but it's very narrow, almost like a gyuto/suji which is growing on me, although it takes a bit of readjusting if I've been using the Sugimoto gyuto or cleavers for a while. If you were dead set on using a pinch grip, you'd probably find it pretty awkward. I haven't pushing the steel as far as I think it could go, so when I have time set aside I'd like to try thinning it a bit as well. With the high HRC and decent durability/wear resistance I reckon it could probably take it.

Latest addition: Shigefusa Kasumi 21cm Mioroshi Deba.
IMAG0203.jpg

IMAG0202.jpg

IMAG0200.jpg

IMAG0199.jpg

Hopefully I'll have another addition arriving tomorrow morning :knife:

That's a nice glad Josh. I love mine. Is your 21 cutting edge length or heel to tip?

Don't have a tape handy, but I'm pretty sure it's 21cm ferrule to tip, or about 20cm heel to tip.

Ah yes. Same size. So, is this the one now? Or are you still getting a hon-deba?

Dunno, I may still pick up a regular deba. I kinda of expected the mioroshi to be a bit bigger, though it'll still be fine for the fish I do at work. To be honest, I just stumbled across it and bought it without really thinking :D I've got another gyuto and some stones on the way too, so I think I'll need to lay off for a bit; think I'm up to 5 new knives this year....planning to sell some stuff, so maybe after that.....

As for where I acquired it? I picked up from rakuten through this guy: http://global.rakuten.com/en/search?pf=&tl=0&pt=&f=0&fs=0&vm=2&sm=0&sid=nzshinkai&sp.st=&k=shigefusa, He's still got some good stock on hand, maybe a touch expensive, though I think the yanagi are still reasonable. Service was great too, prompt contact after sale to confirm shipping and then 4days to receive the goods. It's got me browsing rakuten a lot more now :knife:

Ah yes, that rakuten señor. Haven't pulled a trigger there yet.

Per Dr.Naka. Shigefusa uses tip to ferule for length measurement (for knife with machi) even for a deba where typically it does not have a machi. So this 210mm mioroshi is more or less a 195mm deba when compared with other makers.

Picked this guy up yesterday, haven't had the chance to use it yet though it'll probably hit the stones tonight and come to work with me tomorrow.

IMAG0205.jpg

IMAG0206.jpg

IMAG0207.jpg

TC Blades 24cm wa-gyuto. Rosewood and ebony handle w/ copper space, 01 steel (pretty sure it's mono-steel), acacia wood saya which fits pretty much perfectly, supplied with a nifty silk bag too. Don't have anything on hand to measure with so I'm just guessing here; 3mm spine at the heel, next to no taper, about 45mm (?) height from heel to spine, 243g. Probably about the best I can do at the moment.

Some brief thoughts on sharpening. Ootb, the edge looked decent, just a little patchy in place so I thought I could probably get away with a few passes on my kitayama, but that seemed to do f' all. Started again with a shapton GS 500, 1k, 4k then kitayama. Actually raised a burr faster than expected, steel polishes up not too bad either, however the burr is an absolute brute to remove. I've never used 01 before so it could just be about getting my head around the steel, but I found it significantly harder than any carbon or stainless steel I've used so far (white 2, blue 1, VG-10, global crap, misono swedish, sab carbon, etc..). It's hard to tell, but I think there's still a little bit of a burr in places on it.

Profile and geometry:
Profile is awesome, feels somewhat similar to my sabs. Nice gentle curve, with plenty of flats (hope that makes sense). Geometry...well, I'm a little confused by that at the moment. It's thick as hell behind the edge, but cut some potatoes nicely though it was possibly the worst knife I've ever used to dice an onion. Slicing tomatoes was pathetic, but it push-cut through them effortlessly, easily push cuts paper, not shaving hair on my arm at all. I was gonna take it into work tomorrow to put it through it's paces, but I think I'll keep it at home for a bit longer. I reckon I'll probably have to invest in some time in tinkering with it before I find what works best.

Overall opinion for now:
I'm happy with it and think it's worth what I paid for it. Profile is great, handle is very comfortable and well fitted, saya is beautiful, spine and choil ain't too bad. I reckon it'll always be sh*t on root veg, but should fair well on fish, meat and soft veg. Should make for an interested project over the next few weeks until I'd get it where I want it. Plus, it looks pretty!

I'll post relevant thoughts further down the line.

Cheers,
Josh

Sorry they're not the best pics.

In the spine and choil shots it goes from left to right: Sugimoto #6, Pierre, Mizuno stainless. As you can see, the mid tech is obscenely thin, even making the Mizuno look pretty fat, which is really something.

Size wise, it's a little shorter and narrower than a normal #6 cleaver (the sugimoto has been sharpened to the point it's now about 5mm narrower than a new one), balance feels similar to the mizuno in hand. Handle is well finished and comfortable, although i would prefer something a touch fatter and shorter, but that's personal preference. Choil and spine are nicely rounded too.

I think it's CPM154 (?), felt pretty resistant on the stones, but has taken a nice edge, fell through most food stuffs tonight and food release was decent too.

Very flat profile, awesome for push cutting, maybe not great for rocking, but I rarely do that with cleavers anyway.

I'll post more thoughts after using at work for a week or so. At the moment I'm chuffed though. If B&B get more mid tech in stock, I'd strongly recommend picking them up if the price stays the same (still worth it even if it was a bit more IMO), but for a very well finished, (almost) full size cleaver that's stupidly thin, in a good stainless....$250 is a total bargain.

Oh, this won't bother the majority here, but I should add that the edge was practically non-existent out of the box.

Cheers,
Josh

From the pics it would appear as if the sugi and the suien get the most usage, but I will ask any way, which do you use the most?

At the moment it's the Sugimoto 7 and the Konosuke #6 (not suein :biggrin: ), I had been using the Mizuno stainless a lot as well but it needs a little thinning behind the edge, still preforms admirably though.

Cheers,
Josh

Back