Judging a Budget Chinese Cleaver by the Coil Shot

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naptight

Reaction score
Hello, going to pick up a budget chinese cleaver. Looking at its choil shot looks like it might be pretty thick bte. I don't have any experience to tell. I like this particular one because it has a nice wa handle, is made from 52100 steel and specifies the HRC (60). I can sharpen, reprofile and/or fix any imperfections if needed. But, I don't want to start with a dud. Take a look at it compared to these more expensive and well know knives and tell me what you think.

Cleaver in question:
1689040512007.png

CCK KF1912 Choil:
1689040697748.png

CCK KF1912 Choil+front taper shot:
1689041041717.png

CCK CLEAVER "MULBERRY KNIFE" SMALL SLICER 210MM - KF1303:
1689041228041.png

MCUSTA ZANMAI BECHO VG10 DAMASCUS CHINESE CLEAVER 180MM:
1689041304044.png

TAKEDA NAS CHINESE CLEAVER LARGE 240MM:
1689041354955.png

Here are the specs:
  • Steel: 52100
  • Construction: Monosteel
  • Finish: Kurouchi
  • Cladding: N/A
  • Style: Chinese cleaver
  • Blade Length: 200mm
  • Overall Length: 310mm
  • Spine: 2.5mm at heel
  • Blade Height: 91mm at heel
  • Weight: 303g
  • HRC: 60
  • Handle: Rosewood and Padauk

Looks like you are asking how a dau vua compares to other popular cleavers. It's more robust than the ccks. Takeda is not a good comparison because it is way different than any other cleaver grind. One thing about the dau vua is the handles are wa style but to me they feel terrible due to their weird proportions. I'd much rather have a CCK carbon with the mystery steel.

@tostadas haha you got me. I didn't want to mention Dau Vua because they are so polarizing and so inconsistent knife to knife. Its the perfect price, $69, so a lot cheaper than the ccks. I have a Dau Vua petty and I reallt like the handle shape. I've never handled a Chinese cleaver, but the stock handles are so so ugly to me. If I get a CCK I know I'll be replacing the handle. I don't know if I get a Dau Vua if I will need to thin/fix the grind.

If you want a CCK just buy one, their handle is very practical. Dao Vua is fine, they are not that thick judging by that choil shot.

I want a Chinese cleaver bc I cook a lot of veggies and they're relatively cheap compared to fancy Japanese knives. I've heard cck has the best grinds and that the kf1303 is a lot of people's most used knife. I've also seen a lot of ppl calling them over priced now.

They're something about the roughness from being hand forged at a low cost of dau vua that's appealing to me.

Get them from Action Sales, they are fine. If you want something cheap get a Dengjia cleaver in 9Cr15MoV (or18MoV) steel, they have somewhat good grind.
Thanks, are you saying action sales has cck? Right now it looks like they just have Dexter Russell cleavers.

Thanks. Ya, I guess I should just get a 1302 or 1303. I'll have to do a handle. Probably take down the high spots too.

Just found out action knives is really close to a friend's house. Next time I visit him I'll see if they'll let me handle the different models.

You won't find people freaking out about Dao Vua here. Yeah, you'll get people's honest opinions but no one is going to go off about how bad they are like other platforms may have. I suspect most of knew immediately what that was anyway. ;)

If you just want to find out if you like cleavers, it's hard to beat those sold by the Wok Shop. They're going to be thicker, robust grinds but the price makes them really attractive for testing the concept. They work well enough, just not a fine grind.

they are outdated, I’ve been to the store, all QR code now
In another thread someone mentioned that they talk to either the vendor or the manufacturer and were told they're going to switch back to the stamp.

So I'll probably hold off on buying until I can swing by action sales and check them out in person. I also want to see which size feels the best for me.

CCKs aren’t particularly expensive in the grand scheme of things so if you’re looking for performance to price, go that route.

I have a 52100 DV cleaver and it’s fun, but isn’t a great performer? Nah.
I have a couple DV knives from when I first wanted to try different knife sizes and shapes for cheap and honestly they aren’t really worse than your grocery store knives, they’re just more expensive lol

image.jpg

CCKs aren’t particularly expensive in the grand scheme of things so if you’re looking for performance to price, go that route.

I have a couple DV knives from when I first wanted to try different knife sizes and shapes for cheap and honestly they aren’t really worse than your grocery store knives, they’re just more expensive lol

View attachment 254305
Hahaha omg "honestly they aren’t really worse than your grocery store knives, they’re just more expensive" is a a hilarious review.

With my inexperience, I'm just basically judging aesthetics. And I think your DV cleaver looks sweet! I love the hammer marks, kurouchi and blade imperfections contrasting the nice handle.

In another thread someone mentioned that they talk to either the vendor or the manufacturer and were told they're going to switch back to the stamp.

So I'll probably hold off on buying until I can swing by action sales and check them out in person. I also want to see which size feels the best for me.
Chef knives to go got a batch of old stock that went fairly quick. I asked Mark if this would be a regular thing and he said no, just a one off.

Hahaha omg "honestly they aren’t really worse than your grocery store knives, they’re just more expensive" is a a hilarious review.

With my inexperience, I'm just basically judging aesthetics. And I think your DV cleaver looks sweet! I love the hammer marks, kurouchi and blade imperfections contrasting the nice handle.

My advice for this and any other knife is to set aesthetics aside. Good looks don't cut. :)

Focus on geometry and trying styles and designs and start understanding what you do and don't like in knives. Then you can start focusing on the looks you really like. The goal being that you'll have a good idea what you want so if you're spending a little more to get something that appeals t your as well, then it is a much safer bet.

The geometry on the wok shop ones are quite thick. Youre not gonna beat the price, but if you can swing the 60ish for a CCK, it's well worth the difference. Other option that I also really enjoy is the Chopper King from cktg. Very good bang for buck.

View attachment 254305
Is your Dao Vauo cleaver a crappy performer?

The geometry on the wok shop ones are quite thick. Youre not gonna beat the price, but if you can swing the 60ish for a CCK, it's well worth the difference. Other option that I also really enjoy is the Chopper King from cktg. Very good bang for buck.
It's cool there's so many options! Like I mentioned, I'm near one of the action sales stores fairly often to visit a friend. I'm just going to go in there and try to handle as many knives as I can! But, my goal will be to pick one of the CCKs. Hopefully they have a bunch in stock. The 1302 looks like a great all-around all carbon option.

It's cool there's so many options! Like I mentioned, I'm near one of the action sales stores fairly often to visit a friend. I'm just going to go in there and try to handle as many knives as I can! But, my goal will be to pick one of the CCKs. Hopefully they have a bunch in stock. The 1302 looks like a great all-around all carbon option.
1303 and 1302 feel very similar. This was one of my first knives, and I checked them both out in person at a local restaurant supply store. I ultimately went with the 1303 at the time simply because it came up so often on various forums, though the 1302 actually felt more natural to me. If I were to rebuy again, I'd probably go for the 1302 instead, because it's just slightly bigger but has the same kind of lightweight feel.

@tostadas interesting. Thanks for the perspective. I've seen others in here say something similar. I guess 1303 is a good backup is the 1302 is out of stock.

My advice for this and any other knife is to set aesthetics aside. Good looks don't cut. :)

Focus on geometry and trying styles and designs and start understanding what you do and don't like in knives. Then you can start focusing on the looks you really like. The goal being that you'll have a good idea what you want so if you're spending a little more to get something that appeals t your as well, then it is a much safer bet.
This definitely seems like good advice. I have a shop and can do quite a bit. But I've never done any blacksmithing. So, in a dreamworld where I have time for it, I can mod blades with good bones. I know some people like them but I just can't stand the look of the average Chinese cleaver handle.

Latest posts

Back