Judging a Budget Chinese Cleaver by the Coil Shot

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow all of his mods are really cool! I know want to do a wa handle on my 12 yo victorinox now

@tostadas haha you got me. I didn't want to mention Dau Vua because they are so polarizing and so inconsistent knife to knife. Its the perfect price, $69, so a lot cheaper than the ccks. I have a Dau Vua petty and I reallt like the handle shape. I've never handled a Chinese cleaver, but the stock handles are so so ugly to me. If I get a CCK I know I'll be replacing the handle. I don't know if I get a Dau Vua if I will need to thin/fix the grind.

I bought a CCK 1303 recently for about $90. There is no way I'd consider rolling the dice on a DV for $30 less.

I've had a DV 52100 cleaver. It was bent and the grind was wonky (likely due to the bend). The CCK1303 I bought this year had a profile issue near the tip.

That said, both were fine knives in hand and cut well for the price. I usually buy at a higher price point so neither stayed.

I bought a Dau Vua cleaver when they first started showing up in the US. I like it fine and its way better workmanship than the one I bought in Hanoi. Chinese style cleavers really aren't that common in Viet Nam.
I’m interested what they mostly use. Vietnamese knives are actually quite popular in boarder towns, they have a good reputation for their thinness

Hello again. So, I've become somewhat obsessed. I bought a few different budget knives and I need to start modding them because I'm addicted to grinding metal on stones. I don't have a ton of free time, but I'd like to incrementally over time improve on the cck1302. Using the makeover @Martyfish did on his Shibazi as a template, how should I approach this?

From his thread:
"The makeover comprised the following:

- A light thinning
- Rounding of the spine and choil
- Polishing the spine and choil to a near mirror finish
- Polishing the core steel to a near mirror finish
- Giving the lower section of the blade a kasumi finish
- Polishing the upper section of the blade to a fine satin finish"

It seems like the grind marks on the lower section of the cck blade are pretty deep and trying to get all of those out using stones would potentially thin the knife too much. Is that a legitimate concern? Would using sandpaper on a block with a felt backer help avoid going too thin by getting into the shallow spots without taking too much off the high spots? Similarly, if I'm going to polish the upper section; polishing out the QR code would be nice. But, I don't want to lose too much thickness. Is that a legitimate concern? Rounding and polishing the spine and choil will be nice for comfort, but the spine is already so thin does it really make much of a difference? Is there a different approach to polishing the spine and choil on very thin knives (my petty could also use this)?

Hello, going to pick up a budget chinese cleaver. Looking at its choil shot looks like it might be pretty thick bte. I don't have any experience to tell. I like this particular one because it has a nice wa handle, is made from 52100 steel and specifies the HRC (60). I can sharpen, reprofile and/or fix any imperfections if needed. But, I don't want to start with a dud. Take a look at it compared to these more expensive and well know knives and tell me what you think.

Cleaver in question:
View attachment 254177

CCK KF1912 Choil:
View attachment 254178

CCK KF1912 Choil+front taper shot:
View attachment 254179

CCK CLEAVER "MULBERRY KNIFE" SMALL SLICER 210MM - KF1303:
View attachment 254180

MCUSTA ZANMAI BECHO VG10 DAMASCUS CHINESE CLEAVER 180MM:
View attachment 254181

TAKEDA NAS CHINESE CLEAVER LARGE 240MM:
View attachment 254182

Here are the specs:
  • Steel: 52100
  • Construction: Monosteel
  • Finish: Kurouchi
  • Cladding: N/A
  • Style: Chinese cleaver
  • Blade Length: 200mm
  • Overall Length: 310mm
  • Spine: 2.5mm at heel
  • Blade Height: 91mm at heel
  • Weight: 303g
  • HRC: 60
  • Handle: Rosewood and Padauk
That dao vua is a pretty useful cleaver. Not the finest grind, but it does a good job. I have moved all of my Dao vua to new homes, but I kept the cleaver. The only real complaint I have with Dao vua is they need a better edge quench to give the knife longevity. They honestly get quite a bit of love here.

Hello again. So, I've become somewhat obsessed. I bought a few different budget knives and I need to start modding them because I'm addicted to grinding metal on stones. I don't have a ton of free time, but I'd like to incrementally over time improve on the cck1302. Using the makeover @Martyfish did on his Shibazi as a template, how should I approach this?

From his thread:
"The makeover comprised the following:

- A light thinning
- Rounding of the spine and choil
- Polishing the spine and choil to a near mirror finish
- Polishing the core steel to a near mirror finish
- Giving the lower section of the blade a kasumi finish
- Polishing the upper section of the blade to a fine satin finish"

It seems like the grind marks on the lower section of the cck blade are pretty deep and trying to get all of those out using stones would potentially thin the knife too much. Is that a legitimate concern? Would using sandpaper on a block with a felt backer help avoid going too thin by getting into the shallow spots without taking too much off the high spots? Similarly, if I'm going to polish the upper section; polishing out the QR code would be nice. But, I don't want to lose too much thickness. Is that a legitimate concern? Rounding and polishing the spine and choil will be nice for comfort, but the spine is already so thin does it really make much of a difference? Is there a different approach to polishing the spine and choil on very thin knives (my petty could also use this)?
I also do the same with some inexpensive knives. After processing, they feel very comfortable to hold, especially when the spine and the edges of the blade are polished and rounded.
I once ground a Chinese chef's knife to be extremely thin. It was made of 52100 steel wrapped in stainless steel.
Extremely thin, extremely thin. This led to a problem. Because Chinese chef's knives are very suitable for applying force, it's easy to use more force than with a gyuto. After several times of making hamburger mince, the edge of my knife developed some waves ranging from 1mm to 2mm due to the impact during cutting. It wasn't notches; the edge became wrinkled.

Back