Just pick my damn gyuto please

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, this is why I am having such a problem. There are too many fine J-knives.
If only I could see them in person.

Yes, you are quite right, there are tons of great products from a lot of various makers out there.
I would suggest to simply choose one of the many fine knives recommended in this thread.
I doubt you will be terribly unhappy with either one who has been mentioned here a couple times.

As you, I was flabbergasted by all the products out there, and eventually just went ahead and selected one, and built my kit after having made some experience with that first one.

Good luck on your choice:)

Man, this is why I am having such a problem. There are too many fine J-knives.
If only I could see them in person.

Here's what you can do, what I do. I email Jon Broida at Japanese Knife Imports (you could call of course). I tell him what I want the knife to do, how I'm going to use the knife and anything that might be important to me, like stainless steel or handle type, etc. Then I ask him to recommend three for me. Then I pick one (sometimes two :p ).

It's worked for me every time. I have 5 knives that I bought I either directly or indirectly from JKI.

-AJ

i prefer getting jon the phone myself. i get more information and a better understanding out real conversations with him rather than email. however, to each their own. my problem is that i want every knife he recommends!

I'm afraid to talk to him. Just pics are enough for me and well I can't buy the store out.

Don't get me wrong Jon has talked people out of buying the most expensive knife for one that will be suited for them.

You know what, I actually have a Stainless Ginga out with Dave for a rehandle that I was intending to sell once it's done anyway. Dave's a bit backed up, though, so that might be longer than you want to wait.
hmmmm, i might be interested if you're talking about a western handle. what size and what handle material did you choose?

@meagan_myers: i guess a 210 hattori fh is too small for you? i'd sell mine, only used 3 times for soft veggies and chicken. you can send me a private message if you're interested.

Back