Kato Alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats!!! Any idea what handle you are going to get on it?

Also that is quite absurd that he got 3 of each, especially the Damascus ones!

I've got a 240 Damascus Kato hopefully arriving end of Jan or early Feb...

Haven't decided yet on the handle. I've got a bunch out getting handles at the moment so I'll let the dust settle a bit first and see. I've got a bunch of nicer handle blanks so maybe koa since I don't have any koa knives at the moment.

Aghhhhh Fu.......! Missed the Damascus but settled on a 240 std! Hopefully it doesn't come with one of those undersized handles.

14.175 grams to a half ounce.

Then I'd say the 1cm less in length plus the ho wood vs chestnut would explain the weight difference, without implying any difference in geometry

How many g is 1/2 an Oz? Anyway, chestnut handles are a little heavier.

There was only 1 batch of Kikuryu made

The difference is ~20.5g

The CKTG is:
Spine Thickness: 4.3mm
Height: 50mm
Weight: 8.8oz
Length: 230mm

The JNS workhorse is 270g
http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/yoshiaki-fujiwara-240mm-gyuto-sold/

I tried repeatedly for a JNS 240 workhorse without luck so this is the next best thing and likely the only Kato to fall into my lap. Still wondering if damascus is worth an extra $325 plus handle cost. Anyone?

I tried repeatedly for a JNS 240 workhorse without luck so this is the next best thing and likely the only Kato to fall into my lap. Still wondering if damascus is worth an extra $325 plus handle cost. Anyone?

There's no reason to assume that Workhorses are better than Kato's normal work, or visa versa.

Personally, I would go for the non-damascus. These Kato are thick and you won't maintain good performance if you only tend to the edge, which means thinning will be part of normal care, as it should. Kato cladding is on the hard side to begin with, and unless you're a pretty good polisher, that damascus cladding won't be looking so great soon enough. Damascus can take more work to keep looking good (though some people like this).

Otherwise, I stongly doubt there's any difference in performance.

I would pull the trigger if I didn't have one on order... Looks a pretty smart buy

Where are you guys getting this info from?

Ah geeez, might have to reactivate my facebook account for this lol

He does. When he puts them for sale. But usually he first posts pics of them on his insta / Facebook when he gets them.

They will show up on the front page/Kato page/Shig page. Though I just check the front page as I want to see all of them =)

I'm not too web savvy, but I'm not sure the links he will provide in the email will show up on the regular page. Could be wrong.

Yes, eventually. But until then don't forget to check constantly

Don't know if Maksim is just toying with us but an item (to not be named) appeared on the "featured item" list and now is off of it. Looked like something he had posted on Instagram/Facebook =p

Email is out now :) 1 gyuto and 1 petty, not workhorse though.

Back