Kato not for you ?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers, I know some people have loyalty to makers. Maybe I was subconsciously looking for catharsis from an opportunity slipped by. I still want to try one, I just wasn't comfortable with such an expensive leap of faith. Thanks for all your insight

My recommendation is give it a try. You can easily sell the knife at no loss (especially if you get it used). I didn't love the JNS 240 I had, but I am still looking for a 180-210 standard one to try.

The 180 is fun to cut with. Personally I like a heavier, weight forward knife. The 210 workhorse is a good cutter as well, mine just had a handle fitted for Andre the Giant....wasn't bad once you get used to it but when I first picked it up my first thought was Geez, now I know how my wife feels. Just got a 240 workhorse, will get to do some significant amounts of veg this afternoon....will have the damascus 240 with a handle on it in two weeks....will be interesting to compare the two.

... By the way, I was relating to the common 'knife/handle's too big' reaction. Not sure if Smurf meant something different

Asteger, thanks for the sketch showing what is meant by the "V" grind. I'm relatively new to J knives and I've been hanging around the forums gathering enough knowledge to make wise decisions in purchasing some replacement knives. I'm a home cook with just my wife and I so we don't see the kind of use that most of you people do.

Asteger, thanks for the sketch

Thanks very much. I've had 4 Kato like this and noticed the similarities, but didn't recall the v-thing being pointed out. However, I'm also a learning-type too and put it out for discussion and to see how right it might be. Seems like a few knivemakers have noticed the same thing or agree. Too bad as an occasional member here was due to visit Kato sometime soon but had to postpone. Maybe we can get to question the man himself when he does manage the visit.

Thanks very much. I've had 4 Kato like this and noticed the similarities, but didn't recall the v-thing being pointed out. However, I'm also a learning-type too and put it out for discussion and to see how right it might be. Seems like a few knivemakers have noticed the same thing or agree. Too bad as an occasional member here was due to visit Kato sometime soon but had to postpone. Maybe we can get to question the man himself when he does manage the visit.

The first Jknife I purchased was a Teruyasu Fujiwara Nashiji 240mm Gyuto that I have been using for the past year does anybody have a comparison between the T-F and either the original or workhorse Kato?

Jack

The first Jknife I purchased was a Teruyasu Fujiwara Nashiji 240mm Gyuto that I have been using for the past year does anybody have a comparison between the T-F and either the original or workhorse Kato?

Jack
They are both made of steel and can cut food. Apart from that, they don't have much in common.

Robert explained it perfectly. That 'V' shape from heel to tip has nothing to do with 'niku' which is defined by the rate and type of geometry from edge to spine. The change in thickness and grind depth towards the tip is partially due to very purposeful distal taper. If your spine tapers towards the tip, the blade will have to follow suit...and generally the 'shinogi' line will come up. The change at the heel is something akin to overgrinding, but is not 'unhealthy' in regards to the edge. As Robert explained, it has to do with production methods. Many, many Japanese knives I've handled have this type of grind towards the heel, and if I recall, it's more on the right side than the left. This isn't some purposeful asymmetry lol, it''s just how the things come out.

Back