Ken Onion "Rain" Mini reveiw

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what does it mean that I can pick up pennies with my toes and hold a pencil with them and write my name?

It means that you have taken to much time playing with objects with your toes. Says you think about every step and prob. walk barefoot too. At one point in time prob a athlete. I could go on....

So what does it mean that I can pick up pennies with my toes and hold a pencil with them and write my name?

I'll tell ya in a minute, first take your shoes off and get in the truck:evilgrin:

I know a man who was born with deformities due to thalidomide who could do that, so my guess is that you have no arms. Do you use your feet to cut food with? Not sure what the health department would have to say about that...

That choil shot is disturbing. Surely it thins out quickly toward the tip, no?
I don't know about new Ken Onion knife but old one has distal taper edge. not great but it's there....
5mm above edge- hill:1.35mm, mid:0.89mm, 0.5cm from tip: 0.73mm
compare to Konosuke Ginsan-
5mm above edge- hill:0.89mm, mid:0.69mm, 0.5cm from tip: 0.60mm

Someone posted a video sales pitch of this knife recently--looked about like trying to cut food holding on to a hatchet head. Only the hatchet would be prettier. And might cut better.

And ER, I've got a special video just for you if I can figure out how to upload it to the off topic room.

Now I understand why Lucretia asked for a toe notch to be worked into the last rehandle I did for her. :D

Dave,

Sorry, a Rader handle is superior for footwork. See the off topic room. :D

But I do love my Martell rehandles for the mundane jobs when using hands...

If a woman's foot has Kankles, she's 99.99999999% of the time gonna be fat. I'm not really too picky, but some nasty feets are really a turn-off for me.
Hammer toes
Bunions
Extra toes (polydactyly)
Foot fungus
Nail fungus
crusty foot
stank foot
swamp foot

I rest my case.
I win. U lose.
Ha!

Lol, I luvs me some cankles. Like a Heiji, some thick meaty heels tapering up to a svelte spine... This has become one weird thread.

Kind of related: a not very knife savvy work colleague has a 7" ken onion cleaver . A truly ridiculous thing.
$300 : wierd handle, vg10 , HRC:60 , 16 degree angle!! They actually sell these with a description stating they are designed to smash through bone. Two guesses what happens next ?? :)
Massive chips, it should be illegal to sell this "cleaver "
That's my two cents and why I don't like ken onion or shun .
No refund either, I fixed it for him & reprofiled to 30 degrees .
Even then still ugly :)

Say what you want but Ken is the only custom knifemaker that has become famous for designing factory kitchen knives. Kramer is probably No. 2 and the rest of makers are pretty much unknowns.

Say what you want but Ken is the only custom knifemaker that has become famous for designing factory kitchen knives. Kramer is probably No. 2 and the rest of makers are pretty much unknowns.

Being famous doesnt mean you are good at what you do. People just know you do it. Look at the slobs from Jersey Shore. They are famous.

I must admit I don't know a lot about ken onion ... All I know is his name is attached to a cleaver advertised for bone chopping tasks that is made out of chippy steel at a 16 degree angle.
At $300 ish that's a pretty shocking design flaw

A previous thread on Ken's knives quickly denigrated into a discussion about Ken. I intentionally started a new thread focused on the line of knives and their merits (or lack thereof) .

From Dave M: "Please use this forum to post objective respectful reviews of kitchen knives & related products. "

A discussion of Ken's acumen, design ability, and market success would certainly be interesting but perhaps better placed elsewhere.

Regards,

Dave

I own a John Pimble edition Old Hickory from the 60's to 70's era. I think that precedes the big O and Mr. Kramer.....

And who was John Primble? He wasn't a custom knifemaker, as best I can tell he was a salesman for a large hardware wholesaler in the 1920-30s. Old Hickory (Ontario Cutlery) and all the other Old something another "forged" kitchen knives are based on a con job a guy (Nuna Knife Works) was running in the early 20th century selling knives to blacksmiths that they then claimed they handforged them in their own shop. Dave Murphy and old Gerber collection would probably be a better example of a custom maker that was able to sell a successful kitchen knife line to a factory. Other names are few and far between.

I have received an e-mail from a website selling this knives , judging from the pictures it had so much belly it could be on the "biggest loser" show

dont worry guys he also sells a belt driven sharpening system so you can make it into the perfect knife!

Anyone else get that "chocolate rain" song stuck in their head every time this thread pops up?
[video=youtube;EwTZ2xpQwpA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwTZ2xpQwpA[/video]

I think someone should put together a Tay Zonday/Rick Astley duet.

Ok guys I became a bit confused. Please advise if this Ken Onion Rain series chef's knife is good or not. And also what about BDZ1 steel used for these knives.
Thank you in advance :knife:

You can do lot lot better for that money , I would say look at something else. There was a nenox 270mm gyuto on B/S/T , i don't know if it is still available but you may want to look at it. It was also from Sydney.
For a $200 knife I wouldn't go for a company whose expertise is making chef jackets and pants.

Latest posts

Back