Ken Onion "Rain" Mini reveiw

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They were manufactured by Lamson and designed by Ken Onion. Chef Works is just a retailer so their expertise in pants has nothing to do with it. However, there's a good chance that they would have turned out better had CW or perhaps a precocious orangutan designed them.

They're unfortunately a cliche of the disaster that usually results when someone with expertise making non-kitchen knives comes along and decides to "revolutionize" the kitchen knife industry without bothering to really understand them first. There are so many fundamental flaws in their design (terrible ergonomics, horrible profile for anything other than rock-chopping, and hilariously thick behind the edge) that the steel and materials are basically irrelevant even though they may very well be fine.

3c348e06-2163-11e3-bd6d-005056b70bb8.jpg
They were manufactured by Lamson and designed by Ken Onion. Chef Works is just a retailer so their expertise in pants has nothing to do with it. However, there's a good chance that they would have turned out better had CW or perhaps a precocious orangutan designed them.

They're unfortunately a cliche of the disaster that usually results when someone with expertise making non-kitchen knives comes along and decides to "revolutionize" the kitchen knife industry without bothering to really understand them first. There are so many fundamental flaws in their design (terrible ergonomics, horrible profile for anything other than rock-chopping, and hilariously thick behind the edge) that the steel and materials are basically irrelevant even though they may very well be fine.

you are right Justin , but I am sure in the promo video it was mentioned that "chefs and their cutting preferences were studied. Maybe this one?

lol +1 for the kitchen confidential reference.

I think that he probably also watched a lot of this chick, esp the part starting around 6:40...
[video=youtube;iRniP-HGdxI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRniP-HGdxI[/video]

wut. i also love the idea of putting cutting boards on stove surfaces.

lol +1 for the kitchen confidential reference.

I think that he probably also watched a lot of this chick, esp the part starting around 6:40...
[video=youtube;iRniP-HGdxI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRniP-HGdxI[/video]

Chawp Chawp Chawp!!!

You can do lot lot better for that money , I would say look at something else. There was a nenox 270mm gyuto on B/S/T , i don't know if it is still available but you may want to look at it. It was also from Sydney.
For a $200 knife I wouldn't go for a company whose expertise is making chef jackets and pants.

Thank you chefcomsback, not sure what B/S/T means.

Thank you Justin0505, I was thinking to buy one for Christmas(now obviously not). It's good that I first checked with the forums :doublethumbsup:

Back