Kenji Togashi Custom Honyaki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReiHamono

Vendor
KKF Supporting Craftsman
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aogami 1
~240mm x 57mm x 5.5mm
“Winter” honyaki
Geometry and profile is similar to kaiju
No handle

Production time ~ 6 months, which makes it a good early Christmas present

Ordered through Yasuko Okumura /Ikkyu
Paid direct through PayPal or Wise

I will need your email

Price is ~$1,200

I have 4 people on so far, but I think it’s only fair to check and see if any other members would like to join

This knife should be very easy to take to the stones, I also asked for strongest hamon and Tanryusen (alloy banding) possible. It’s not promised, but it’s kept in mind as production moves forward

I will initiate the order next week

Feel free to Msg me with any questions or thoughts

Thank you,
Eric

Last edited:
Confirmed that is should be finished no later than end of December
Got it. At the time I made that comment I didn’t understand that the Togashi group buy hadn’t even been accepted until recently (Evan confirmed this). I thought it was already in the queue.

Sounds like an awesome knife, I hope it turns out well and I'm excited to see the results! And I hope some of the hurdles facing the Strata x Togashi order do not befall such a fun project.

Re: the custom order Strata took with Togashi and the timeline since some users are commenting on it and I've received some messages - there's not really a single reason this order is taking so long, it's a mix of things. We are ordering it through one of our vendors, Hitohira, who often does not take custom requests. So it took some time to get the order submitted in the first place. I don't have any control over how quickly Hitohira then communicates with Togashi, nor how Togashi integrates the order into his backlog. Sometimes some smiths will make similar orders in batches so they can focus on the same material rather than jumping from material to material. Depending on when the order is accepted, the smith may have just completed a cycle of that steel so the order may have to wait until the smith comes around to that material again.

If the vendor and the smith/makers have a tight relationship after many years of working together, the makers may occasionally do a favor a squeeze in/rush the order. Some production depends on the seasons. Few smiths work in the summer because of the heat, but then can be overloaded with winter holiday production levels and thus try to only focus on easier to produce orders that they deem the most pertinent. Togashi makes Honyaki nearly year-round but may favor making Honyaki in the winter because there may be less issues with failure at quench and colder ambient temps may yield higher HRCs, thus, "winter Honyaki" (it's also just more comfortable in the workshop when the ambient temp is cold but the furnace is hot, the opposite of the summer).

Coincidentally, I've actually had 3 custom Togashi Honyaki on order for nearly 3 years with Hitohira. Why is it taking Hitohira so long to get the order going? No idea, other than Hitohira is still a young business and has does not have the same relationship as Togashi may have with a different vendor he has been working with for longer. Hitohira is very, very maker-minded in the sense of not wanting to nag or burden the makers. One of Hitohira's goals is to try and change the way the ordering process and demanding workload is for the makers. Often times, at least previously in some cases, some brands had/have too much influence on the operations and workloads the makers have to deal with, which leaves a sour taste in their mouths. Hitohira is really trying to avoid that and allow the makers to breath and have more flexibility in how they accept and process orders. Perhaps, sometimes, that means not pushing the makers for faster fulfilment dates, or ordering less quantity of something. To what degree is that affecting the Togashi order we placed? Not really sure. But by working with Hitohira I in turn need to respect the way Hitohira is conducting business and be cognizant of possibly a whole slew of things I might not even be aware of in regards to all the moving parts it takes to get something made.

With other brands, like Sakai Kikumori, who have an incredibly close relationship with Tanaka and his family, I can have custom or special projects produced typically within 9 months, sooner if the stars align and things go smoothly. But then again, I was told that the wrought iron Tanaka x Myojin project could be completed within a year or so, and now it's looking like it will be closer to two. So it often depends on what the project is specifically. I always relay the information I am given as it would not do anyone any good to try and misinform or fluff up expectations from customers. As I've gained experience over the years I really try to emphasize that things can get delayed for any number of reasons, and I always ask for patience. It's one reason why I generally don't take deposits unless I'm 100% positive about the outlook of the order at hand, and why I allow customers to drop out of a group order. And yes, it can definitely be frustrating for me when I'm informed of some delay or whatever, largely because I do not like letting people down and now I have to reach out to everyone involved and inform them of the unfortunate news. Some people have monk-like patience and some have no patience at all, that's just the world we live in. I do my best to roll with the punches, but I can only do so much, and I can only ask customers to be patient for so long. I always respect someone's perspective if they have to cancel.

OK, before this gets any longer or before I start talking in circles, I'll cut it off here. I hope this illuminates somethings for some people. Any of the aforementioned issues (and many others I didn't touch on) can befall any retailer, brand, or maker. So if you have placed an order with another retailer and things are taking longer than expected, feel free to ask about the status of things but be mindful that if the retailer or anyone involved in the production chain could do something to speed things up, they probably would have done so. As always, if anyone has any questions please feel free to contact me. Email is typically best as I don't always check my KKF inbox as often as I probably should - [email protected]

Again, I hope this Honyaki project turns out well and everyone is satisfied and happy. I hope this post doesn't take away the focus of this thread, my apologies if so.

Always all my best regards,
Evan

sounds cool. what is “winter honyaki”?
Some smiths prefer making Honyaki in the winter because colder ambient temperatures (which also includes the temperature of the water used for quenching) may yield higher HRCs, reduce some failure upon quench, and it can simply be more comfortable to work in the winter vs. the summer when some makers do not work at all because it's too hot. I know some people who disagree with the higher HRC aspect and say it's really just more of the latter aspect. One could argue that if the maker themself is more comfortable, they can better focus on making better quality knives regardless if the HRC aspect is true or not.
Additionally, since the Honyaki is more finicky than most other blade constructions, being able to see the color of the steel more vividly before quench is paramount. That is why, traditionally speaking at least (although some smiths still do), most blades would be quenched at night/midnight since the contrast is much better than when it is light out during the day time. Because it is also darker for longer in the winter, the smith can forge for more hours of the day with better contrast, or at least have more flexibility in their day for when they quench, instead of having to stay up until midnight to quench.
I'm sure you can throw a pinch of "tradition" in there in the sense that because of the aforementioned, previous generations made more knives in the winter and so the makers who were trained by those previous makers simply kept up the same, and so on and so on.
Occasionally, some of the more "serious" Honyaki buyers will request the date of production because of these points.

Thanks for chiming in Evan! Let's hope both of the Togashi custom orders going on are finished sooner rather than later, although I have no problem waiting for as long as it will take, going in with no expectations 🤣

I apologize

Unfortunately the orders have already been made and no more can be added at this time

I really appreciate everyone’s participation and I will do my best to keep you all updated

Boxes and handles can be purchased from Ikkyu if desire

Sharpener will be Suisin

Thank you,
Eric

Who will grind them? Is there a wholesaler in between for boxes, handles and so on? Or can ikkyu do that?

Last edited:
Back