Knife block set

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see that. My thinking was good knives aren't cheap so maybe I can get 3 or 4 at budget. Kind of like when you buy bulk at the store you save money vs buying separately, I figured I could get at least the most important ones
No worries. Just as background, my 4 most important ones could be quite different from yours.

Hey, I’m new to the forum but have been a knife nerd for 15 years. This thread is already stretched but I can’t help but comment.

Hibbs00, you’ve received a LOT of very good advice from the other members. First, I agree with Jovidah that if you are really stuck on getting matching knife handles go Victorianox. At least they are very functional - for some reason that somebody else here would better be able to explain, the metallurgy is great for a stamped steel blade. I have purchased a few sets for family members. But what I also hear is a kind of a collective warning - your current priorities could change quickly if you gain an appreciation for high performance, quality “hand made” knives. And if you become more serious in the kitchen, because as you can see from the responses you got, experienced cooks can’t understand why you’d want that set. For everyday cooking like most people do, sure, go ahead and put that knife block on your counter and use whatever knives you want, how you want. But if you want to cook well with precision and efficiency, then I’d take a knife skills course before buying knives. Especially if you can find a course given through a knife store like Knifewear, which would allow you to try a variety of knives on veggies, etc, while learning some technique. If you do please check back here because I’d bet your views could change.

Oh, and re the look of a matched set, I was once of the same mind because that’s what catalogues and magazines told me was right - you know, IKEA. But I now think that a couple of Japanese knives properly displayed look kick-ass in a kitchen while matched sets are kind of amateurish looking. For what that’s worth.

In response to your knife storage question, I’ve been happy with these (I didn’t read through the entire thread so I apologize if these were already suggested). I can look up the respective vendors, if you’re interested.
I like the idea of wall attached storage ideas too but my wife isn’t on board with that.
IMG_7499.jpeg

They have a pretty cool mag block on there. Thank you!
Hey, I’m new to the forum but have been a knife nerd for 15 years. This thread is already stretched but I can’t help but comment.

Hibbs00, you’ve received a LOT of very good advice from the other members. First, I agree with Jovidah that if you are really stuck on getting matching knife handles go Victorianox. At least they are very functional - for some reason that somebody else here would better be able to explain, the metallurgy is great for a stamped steel blade. I have purchased a few sets for family members. But what I also hear is a kind of a collective warning - your current priorities could change quickly if you gain an appreciation for high performance, quality “hand made” knives. And if you become more serious in the kitchen, because as you can see from the responses you got, experienced cooks can’t understand why you’d want that set. For everyday cooking like most people do, sure, go ahead and put that knife block on your counter and use whatever knives you want, how you want. But if you want to cook well with precision and efficiency, then I’d take a knife skills course before buying knives. Especially if you can find a course given through a knife store like Knifewear, which would allow you to try a variety of knives on veggies, etc, while learning some technique. If you do please check back here because I’d bet your views could change.

Oh, and re the look of a matched set, I was once of the same mind because that’s what catalogues and magazines told me was right - you know, IKEA. But I now think that a couple of Japanese knives properly displayed look kick-ass in a kitchen while matched sets are kind of amateurish looking. For what that’s worth.
The problem is, for personal reasons, I can't afford 200 for each knife so was looking for a reliable set of just the important knives until I can afford to get better ones and a block is just because I have a kitchen with very little storage space.
I appreciate your response but I've been working in kitchens for 10 years and cooking much longer than that. I have the knife skills. I just don't have the funds right now to buy knives for 200 a piece. I do have a beautiful Japanese carbon steel santoku so I also understand how great they are and how much better a good quality knife is. Just wanted something in the middle until funds are up again which could be a while. I appreciate it but like I stated earlier, I got it figured out so thank you

Hello everyone.
I am a new from Japan. I recently enjoyed reading the burr removal thread by hibbs00.
According to the picture he posted he already has a TF(照康), has anyone mentioned it? It seems he already has more than a good knife.

Hello everyone.
I am a new from Japan. I recently enjoyed reading the burr removal thread by hibbs00.
According to the picture he posted he already has a TF(照康), has anyone mentioned it? It seems he already has more than a good knife.
Thank you! I can't remember the name of it haha

Last edited:
Thank you! I can't remember the name of it haha
A bit strange not to mention before you had a carbon steel knife. In the meanwhile people here tried to explain some sharpening basics under the impression your best knife was a Wüsthof.

A bit strange not to mention before you had a carbon steel knife. In the meanwhile people here tried to explain some sharpening basics under the impression your best knife was a Wüsthof.
It was until a few days ago. Someone from KKF sent this to me. I did mention earlier in this thread

Last edited:
In response to your knife storage question, I’ve been happy with these (I didn’t read through the entire thread so I apologize if these were already suggested). I can look up the respective vendors, if you’re interested.
I like the idea of wall attached storage ideas too but my wife isn’t on board with that.View attachment 303966
Those are awesome! Are those affordable?

With all due respect, I'm thinking that "showing off" a knife block feels pretty 1997.

I have a block that sits on the counter with a bunch of nice stainless Shuns where everyone can grab a knife and put it back.
My good stuff is in a drawer.
And as others have suggested, I'd much rather have just a couple of decent knives than a gaggle of bad ones.
I could cook perfectly happily with a Shun 5.5-in santoku, a cheap serrated knife to cut bread (I actually use The Bionic Knife I got from my sister years ago) and a $10 Rikon paring knife.
I'd get a magnetic strip and start with a gyoto/santoku, a bread knife and a paring and/or petty.
The other point: I don't know about you, but I can spend $200 on groceries that'll be gone by the end of the week.
Knives are lifetime investments, so I'd suggest investing in the good stuff, quality over quantity and you'll be much happier in the long run.

With all due respect, I'm thinking that "showing off" a knife block feels pretty 1997.

I have a block that sits on the counter with a bunch of nice stainless Shuns where everyone can grab a knife and put it back.
My good stuff is in a drawer.
And as others have suggested, I'd much rather have just a couple of decent knives than a gaggle of bad ones.
I could cook perfectly happily with a Shun 5.5-in santoku, a cheap serrated knife to cut bread (I actually use The Bionic Knife I got from my sister years ago) and a $10 Rikon paring knife.
I'd get a magnetic strip and start with a gyoto/santoku, a bread knife and a paring and/or petty.
The other point: I don't know about you, but I can spend $200 on groceries that'll be gone by the end of the week.
Knives are lifetime investments, so I'd suggest investing in the good stuff, quality over quantity and you'll be much happier in the long run.
I agree on quality over quantity. If you buy quality you only cry once. I just had no idea most sets are that terrible. I thought real chefs use them so how bad could they be? I now realize lol. Gratefully someone from this site sent me a Teruyasu Fujiwara 180mm santoku from the nashiji line made of shirogami #1 white steel. I love that knife!!! I'm now looking into some mag blocks for my knives that will also hold my steak knives because my place doesn't have much cupboard or drawer space at all

True, at least in a home setting, with chef's knives, if properly maintained. Not so much with e.g. parers and other small knives when used on the board, having a small contact area, getting all kind of abuse, used for packages, and being sharpened very often.
You may, again, as a home user, consider making a sharpening plan, and avoid wasting material. Once you've a stable edge, sharpened following a full progression, very little is needed for further maintenance. Once every few weeks a few edge leading strokes, as with deburring, on a Belgian Blue — about 4k — should work. If it doesn't restore immediately a smooth edge, go one step coarser, say a 2k, with again, the last deburring on the BB. It's only when the 2k doesn't give satisfaction you may consider a full sharpening, with restoring the geometry, i.e. a bit of thinning behind the edge, starting perhaps with a 500. It will happen only once a year or so.

Back