Knife block

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we could all come to a consensus (yeah sure) on a block design maybe we could convince David into making a bunch of the exact same thing. Mine is already out of slots and I'd like some paring knife slots and a scissors slot in the base and probably need about 40 slots up top.

+1

Some paring knife slots and a scissors slot in the base works for me. Forty slots up top would be far too many for me (at least, for now!).

I think I could cut back to 40. :)

Stefan

Why don't we go with a more modest 25 slots, so that I could buy one and the rest of you could just buy two. ;)

Oh, and I would like a slot for a cleaver. As long as we are putting the prototype wishlist together.

I like the idea of a modular system. The block could be built up in layers within a universal frame, with each layer of a standard spec encompassing the primary knife sizes. The idea would be to grow the block as your knife inventory grew. The sides could have a big dovetail (or something) in them so that you could add modules to accomodate paring or other small blades and common utensils.
:my2cents:

Why don't we go with a more modest 25 slots, so that I could buy one and the rest of you could just buy two. ;)

Oh, and I would like a slot for a cleaver. As long as we are putting the prototype wishlist together.

The one in my picture has 2 slots for cleavers, although they needed to be a little taller.

For those who asked
Groupshot1.jpg

I have posted these on other forums in the past.

Jeff

I will always LOVE that Watanabe dammy gyuto. Lucky Dog

Sorry David (if you're reading this) that those of us without one of your blocks aren't ready to accept that you are done making them. ;)

I never thought a discussion about knife blocks would go this far. And I do appreciate the kind words, more than you may know. Makes me blush!

To address some points: When I make knife blocks, I have to shut the shop down so nothing else can be made, they take that much time and attention as well as resources like clamps and space. They also require a different mind set as to what needs to be done and when. I wish there was a way to make a modular block, something that could be added to for expansion but I can't come up with a means to that end. The resulting block might be flimsy. With the number of knives and varied brands and sizes you guys have, I can't see how making a generic block could fill the needs. To date, with the number of blocks I have made, no two are even close to the same. If anyone has any ideas as to how to make either a generic block or one that could be added to, I would be more than happy to consider those ideas.

Will I ever start making blocks again? I can only say that if I get to the point where I have to add a person or two, that could be an option. I need an additional 30% in business to afford one person and still maintain a profit margin to keep the doors open and product going out. Given the state of our economy now and an election year, I just don't know if that increase is possible.

Thanks again for the kind words and encouragement. You guys are the best.

...I wish there was a way to make a modular block, something that could be added to for expansion...
I think the vertical blocks lend themselves well to the concept. Just do away with the outside panels, no? Just make a ton of the individual layers at once and then glue them together to order.

I think the vertical blocks lend themselves well to the concept. Just do away with the outside panels, no? Just make a ton of the individual layers at once and then glue them together to order.

Problem with vertical blocks is that most of us have a fair amount of long knives which can put the handles 17" above the counter and make them difficult to withdraw.

another potential issue w/ modular system is the making investing time and $ making a big pile of modules, and then waiting a long time to sell it all off.

Haha. You're both right. Most counters are too tall. Not to mention most kitchens don't really have space for a huge block. I guess we should all give up, lol. As for the big pile of modules sitting around, I thought this was a group buy type thing, not a "let's have dave make a million of these things and just store them" type of thing.

Have any of you tried anything like either of these...

My father has the in-drawer version you posted a link to. It's a nice solution if you don't have counter space to spare (even if you do, which he does). Neat and tidy. I suppose as long as you were careful putting your knives back into the slots, it wouldn't be too hard on your edges. Not so sure I like the idea of the under cabinet model...

The under cabinet one supposedly has magnets to keep the knives in. It would look a little weird handing there, though. I'm just trying to figure out some kind of knife block that is either vertical or horizontal but still functional.

As for the big pile of modules sitting around, I thought this was a group buy type thing, not a "let's have dave make a million of these things and just store them" type of thing.
I mainly wrote that because some of the posts hinted it would be good to be able to add modules later on to expand the block. That route would be less of a group buy, and would require the maker to keep inventory.

I think the group buy is a great idea, and even though I just bought a block myself I will be interested in following this project. :cool2:

I like the idea of an under the counter block and made one a long time ago. If it was angled slightly downward the knives would not need a magnet to stay in. But the rotation mechanism looks bulky and not very attractive.

I have more under the counter space than drawer space so an in drawer option would be out of the question in my small kitchen.

I never thought a discussion about knife blocks would go this far. And I do appreciate the kind words, more than you may know. Makes me blush!

To address some points: When I make knife blocks, I have to shut the shop down so nothing else can be made, they take that much time and attention as well as resources like clamps and space. They also require a different mind set as to what needs to be done and when. I wish there was a way to make a modular block, something that could be added to for expansion but I can't come up with a means to that end. The resulting block might be flimsy. With the number of knives and varied brands and sizes you guys have, I can't see how making a generic block could fill the needs. To date, with the number of blocks I have made, no two are even close to the same. If anyone has any ideas as to how to make either a generic block or one that could be added to, I would be more than happy to consider those ideas.

Will I ever start making blocks again? I can only say that if I get to the point where I have to add a person or two, that could be an option. I need an additional 30% in business to afford one person and still maintain a profit margin to keep the doors open and product going out. Given the state of our economy now and an election year, I just don't know if that increase is possible.

Thanks again for the kind words and encouragement. You guys are the best.

If you ever change your mind put me on the list. This is Richard from Costa Mesa, California. I can't wait to getting my maple board from you. You are obviously a master craftsman. You make the world a better place.

If you ever make them again I´d love to have one of your nice knife blocks too!

Just a couple ideas I have been kicking around. Do a stock block in a one size fits all that accomodates around 30-40 knives in a group buy format in one type of wood. Maybe once a year if business ever slows down for you? I know I'd be up for a block if you ever started producing again.

Back