Knife Commentary

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no rules!

Well, in that case! About 12mm on the heel, 64mm on the edge with a very flat profile. I could go single bevel, or double...either way.

I might even give it a k-tip :D.

Oh...to stay on topic...is there a reason that k-tips seem so popular? Is it just looks or is there a functional reason?

For bread knives--use a gyuto!

And yes, chinacats, bread knives are for people who can't sharpen :)

Arrgghh, I feel like the lone defender of the honor of the bread knife. You can cut bread with a gyuto just like you can cut fish with a sujihiki. Are you all rice eaters here? ;) Or wonder bread aficionados? Try a gyuto on a woodfire brick oven sourdough rye bread and sweep up the chips after you are done crying!

Stefan

I still don't use a bread knife, but after handling a few nicer ones, I see the allure. Still don't own one, but ya know....

If bolsters don't do anything functional that you like, how do you feel about the look of a peened "bolster" (or ferrule). The only knives I have without some visual change at the front of the handles are my Harners and my Itinomonn. I general, I find a knife looks boring without one, but Butch and Dan manage to make a knife look great with nothing more than two scales and some pins. I wish I could figure out how.

Don't forget Don Nguyen Lefty :). Some of his don't have the two tone scales, and so the only change is a bevel.

Way back when I used to not put handles on knives lol...it was because I didn't feel I had the skill to do a proper bolster, and to me a simple transition from scales to blade was very plain. There's only so many angles you can cut the scales at, lol. I didn't like the look of wa handles at all (all I'd ever seen were stock ones), mostly due to the large transition in diameter from ferrule to machi. When I first found custom wa handles, it was a revelation. I prefer how wa handled blades cut, as well as how they look with a proper custom. But even on those, if there's a large transition in height from the ferrule to the machi, its a bit of a turn off for me.

Arrgghh, I feel like the lone defender of the honor of the bread knife. You can cut bread with a gyuto just like you can cut fish with a sujihiki. Are you all rice eaters here? ;) Or wonder bread aficionados? Try a gyuto on a woodfire brick oven sourdough rye bread and sweep up the chips after you are done crying!

Stefan

I'll join you in defense of the bread knife.

Stefan

if you pierce the crust with the point first, a gyuto usually has no issue cutting very crusty bread. having said that, i almost always use my Tojiro ITK.

Travel Knife:

The one knife that I likely couldn't be without - yes, even with my pettysuki, Itinomonn, custom Carter, ZKramer, Yoshikane, the list goes on and on - is my Butch Harner travel knife. I briefly mentioned it in my earlier post about knife length, and as I said, it has changed me. It's all of 175mm along the edge, but with full knuckle clearance, a wicked tip, and a perfect Zebrawood handle (I love Zebrawood), it's the knife that I'm currently most attached to...or, up there, for sure. I bring my travel knife with me for work. I bring it with me if I know I'll be cooking at my in-laws'. I bring it with me when I am going somewhere for over a night, and it might need to be called upon. One thing that I love about having one "go-to", while traveling, is that it forces me to really push the knife to its limits, being used as a honesuki, petty, slicer and of course, a gyuto. So far, so good! I'm amazed at how versatile one great knife can be, which is completely ridiculous considering when a person who is looking to get great knives asks, I/we always answer, "get one good knife and go from there". Kinda makes you think about this wonderful and all encompassing rabbit hole we seem to have fallen down, doesn't it? Oh well, until I find a way out, I'll have a slew of wonderfully hear-treated and ground blades to play with, while another is dragged around with me, from destination to destination.

A391FDFB-882A-43FF-B25B-2C83C15598EC-15933-0000172274EF4B42_zps95885ae3.jpg

I really like the spine profile of that one...and the edge profile looks very useful!

if you pierce the crust with the point first, a gyuto usually has no issue cutting very crusty bread. having said that, i almost always use my Tojiro ITK.

How about "if you pierce the skin with the point first, a gyuto usually can cut a tomato"? Sounds like a bad knife, right? Why is that o.k. for bread? Again, bread and bread knives don't get enough love around here ;) (And I am really only teasing with this...).

Stefan

With regards to lengths, I'm reaching for the 180mm gyuto/santoku more and more. Large meals, I'll bring out a larger knife. However, for weeknight meals for the family of 3, the 180mm gets the love.

The Harner travel knife looks great.

Here is a question: Do you have a knife in your arsenal that would be frowned upon by every respectable knife nerd on this forum, but that you still would not give up? For me this is my old Henckels 230 slicer ('ham knife', as they call it in Germany). This knife has seen heavy abuse, is butt ugly, totally scratched up from failed sharpening attempts (when starting with stones), but I have had it forever and it just feels right. I even had a Nenox 230 for a while and sold it again because I kept reaching for the trusty old Henckels. Certainly not because it even remotely performs the same, but because it is so familiar. And for me as a home cook, edge durability is not such a big deal because I don't work my knives as hard as a pro. So, what's your ugly duckling?

Stefan

I used a thin (#6) cleaver as a bread knife....

Travel Knife:

The one knife that I likely couldn't be without - yes, even with my pettysuki, Itinomonn, custom Carter, ZKramer, Yoshikane, the list goes on and on - is my Butch Harner travel knife. I briefly mentioned it in my earlier post about knife length, and as I said, it has changed me. It's all of 175mm along the edge, but with full knuckle clearance, a wicked tip, and a perfect Zebrawood handle (I love Zebrawood), it's the knife that I'm currently most attached to...or, up there, for sure. I bring my travel knife with me for work. I bring it with me if I know I'll be cooking at my in-laws'. I bring it with me when I am going somewhere for over a night, and it might need to be called upon. One thing that I love about having one "go-to", while traveling, is that it forces me to really push the knife to its limits, being used as a honesuki, petty, slicer and of course, a gyuto. So far, so good! I'm amazed at how versatile one great knife can be, which is completely ridiculous considering when a person who is looking to get great knives asks, I/we always answer, "get one good knife and go from there". Kinda makes you think about this wonderful and all encompassing rabbit hole we seem to have fallen down, doesn't it? Oh well, until I find a way out, I'll have a slew of wonderfully hear-treated and ground blades to play with, while another is dragged around with me, from destination to destination.

Interesting topic on travel knives, it would be interesting hearing what every one travels with.

My criteria for a travel knife is:
Cheap: won't cry if I forget it
Stainless: low maintenance
Smallish: no need to scare the locals
Easy the sharpen: too lazy to haul stones around

So far my kit is:
Opinal 8 Stainless
mjPr7oMxqnZWyqneRHQwDQw.jpg

Dexter Chinese cleaver (more of a nakiri)
08030.jpg

I have to admit its more focused on the fruit and veg side of things. Weirdly, I never eat enough of while traveling.

I have a few "uncool" knives that I won't let go of. Namely, my Icel mini chef that I picked up in Portugal, and my Ivo santoku that is also Portuguese. Both serve a purpose, and I actually really like them...despite their 56hrc. :)

Not quite knife commentary, but is anyone with me on thinking that "Dos Equis Guy" and Chuck Norris are either a) long lost twin brothers, or b) the same person, with a different beard mask on?

I've owned a few different nakiri's and cleavers and thinking that the best of both worlds is something in between. Similar to the stainless handled Chinese cleavers in size and profile, but made with good carbon steel with proper grind like a nice nakiri. Handle could still retain the traditional barrel shape maybe made of some nice burl. Is there such a creature or is this just a dream for a future custom? Middle one below is ~ 195mm x 82mm

PA180739_zpsec1dd42d.jpg

Back