Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had it listed in his IG story yesterday for $300. Surprised so little interest.

Do people like these? The Damascus is a bit over the top for me but I’ve always wanted to try one of the first gen carbon ones

I had a nakiri from this line. Convex changing to flat grind fairly close to the edge. Steel seemed nice enough. Mine had a wire edge from the factory. Probably a pretty nice blade with a good thin and re-etch.

Much prefer the carbons.

I had a nakiri from this line. Convex changing to flat grind fairly close to the edge. Steel seemed nice enough. Mine had a wire edge from the factory. Probably a pretty nice blade with a good thin and re-etch.

Much prefer the carbons.
The $270 is tempting but I think I’ll pass on it for now. I always miss out on the carbons when they hit BST

Had it listed in his IG story yesterday for $300. Surprised so little interest.

Do people like these? The Damascus is a bit over the top for me but I’ve always wanted to try one of the first gen carbon ones
A little thick bte but I enjoyed the narrow I had on mine. Don't love muhcarta tho, wish it was wood like the first gen carbon

Make sure to go through the newsletter.

Some of the knives don’t appear directly on the website it seems
He linked to those knives on his Shopify preview site and it's not possible to check out directly with the newsletter links.

Here are the two gyutos and paring that aren't showing up on the website:

https://newhamknives.com/products/222mm-blue-super-gyuto

https://newhamknives.com/products/250mm-52100-gyuto

https://newhamknives.com/products/magnacut-paring-with-boxelder

If that was a TF Denka there would be howls of derision. The overgrind into the Ku is comical. Would have expected better for $3300
I guess you mean the "shinogi", so the transition of forged area to the primary bevel, not beeing consistent in height?

If that's the case - that's because I grind in a fixed angle. Meaning that any differences in thickness of the forged area of the blade translates into differences of the shinogi height.
Those thickness differences are in the tenths of millimeters though, as it doesn't take much thickness increase at such low grinding angles, to have the shinogi go up or down by a visually significant amount.

For example:
My primary bevel in the front part of the cleaver has a calculated angle of 3,15° total or 1,575° per side. I know that, as I said, because I'm grinding guided. I know all my distances and measurents, so I can calculate the angles in retrospect.
At that angle, if the primary bevel, or shinogi, varies in hight by 10mm, which is visually significant and a visually very clear variation, the blade thickness in order for the shinogi to crawl up, has to increase only by 0,274mm. That's very little. We're talking about a forged surface with intentional texture on it that varies in thickness within itself. Also it's forged by eye sight. By feel so to say.

Why do you often times not see it with other forged blades? Because most blades are not ground by a fixed angle, but vary the angle by the height of the shinogi and adapt that way.
So with me - shinogi height varies, primary bevel angle stays the same.
With many other knives - shinogi height stays the same, but primary bevel angle varies.

There would be ways to mitigate even my variance in shinogi height, but believe it or not, I put a lot of effort into these knives as it is. Take down handle, water cooled grinding, thin geometries, the whole HT process with fluidized Sand bed, cryo and so on, the forging for the taper and texture, using high end steels, attention to detail etc.
It's at best a visual flaw, I never got any bad feedback for, so I don't think it would be worth the effort.
But if you feel like it, I'd happily see you compete. If it's that easy of a problem to solve, I wouldn't expect you to have any problems with it 🐒.

It's at best a visual flaw, I never got any bad feedback for, so I don't think it would be worth the effort.
But if you feel like it, I'd happily see you compete. If it's that easy of a problem to solve, I wouldn't expect you to have any problems with it 🐒.
It's very simple. You just start with a premade perfectly flat blank that's the size of the knife. Grind bevels on it, slap a handle on... BOOM DONE!
Do I win a free knife now? :D

Damn.

Got me.

Shutting down my small company as we speak.

🙏🤣
The whole problem really comes from 1 small mistake your making, this insistence on trying to forge things. For some reason many blacksmiths insist on doing this old-fashioned forging thing, and actually shaping metal themselves.
But if there's anything we can learn from the German grandmasters in Sölingen its this. Say with me: 'STAMP EVERYTHING'. ;)

I guess you mean the "shinogi", so the transition of forged area to the primary bevel, not beeing consistent in height?

If that's the case - that's because I grind in a fixed angle. Meaning that any differences in thickness of the forged area of the blade translates into differences of the shinogi height.
Those thickness differences are in the tenths of millimeters though, as it doesn't take much thickness increase at such low grinding angles, to have the shinogi go up or down by a visually significant amount.

For example:
My primary bevel in the front part of the cleaver has a calculated angle of 3,15° total or 1,575° per side. I know that, as I said, because I'm grinding guided. I know all my distances and measurents, so I can calculate the angles in retrospect.
At that angle, if the primary bevel, or shinogi, varies in hight by 10mm, which is visually significant and a visually very clear variation, the blade thickness in order for the shinogi to crawl up, has to increase only by 0,274mm. That's very little. We're talking about a forged surface with intentional texture on it that varies in thickness within itself. Also it's forged by eye sight. By feel so to say.

Why do you often times not see it with other forged blades? Because most blades are not ground by a fixed angle, but vary the angle by the height of the shinogi and adapt that way.
With many other knives - shinogi height stays the same, but primary bevel angle varies.

There would be ways to mitigate even my variance in shinogi height, but believe it or not, I put a lot of effort into these knives as it is. Take down handle, water cooled grinding, thin geometries, the whole HT process with fluidized Sand bed, cryo and so on, the forging for the taper and texture, using high end steels, attention to detail etc.
Thanks for the explanation. In hindsight 'Overgrind' was the wrong descriptor in this context as it is suggestive of excessive material being removed from the blade road, a common issue unfortunately with TF's. Its clearly a cosmetic 'feature' and would in no way impact performance at the edge when sharpened.

Kudos for selling the chukka. I only hope you are getting the lions share of those ET prices as its clearly deserved given the amount of work you put in. 👍

For example:

Thank you for your reply. A very informative glimpse into your process.

Ive never tried a Kamon and probably never will, but that price just amazes me. No shade thrown at Kamon, more power to ya if you can get it, but for real. Id love to see that in a head to head with an Eddworks in similar specs for a fraction of the price.
If you want to see this comparison, you can look in the eddworks passaround thread. I compared the passaround Eddworks that even Ed acknowledged was inspired by Ben Kamon and a Kamon that was nearly the same length and weight, and I can say there is a notable difference between the two.

I've been fortunate to have used 4 different Eddworks (3 that I owned, 1 was the passaround) and 5 Kamons (all of which I've owned/do own) so I think I have a decent perspective on both of their knives.

Last edited:
Ive never tried a Kamon and probably never will, but that price just amazes me. No shade thrown at Kamon, more power to ya if you can get it, but for real. Id love to see that in a head to head with an Eddworks in similar specs for a fraction of the price.

There are several things to keep in mind when comparing prices of knives from different makers:

- locality - Ben lives in Europe, Edd lives in the US. This causes a number of things to change immediately, IIRC, Ben has done a post in the past (or maybe it was Janis from Xerxes) going into all the stuff that is required of him to keep his business going from just a pure legal standpoint being in a EU country. These overheads are added into the pure blade costs.
- "full-timeness" - Ben is a full-time maker, and I'm not sure if Edd is. Add up all your costs (living costs + shop costs) divide that by the number of blades you can make and that is your starting price/blade. Never mind if you're sick, get injured or need to take a day off that affects your output.
- store overhead - We have no idea how much Eating tools is taking of that price. They have to pay Ben, paying shipping and duties, and then pay for their own store/living costs. I wouldn't be surprised if half of that price was store mark-up.

I've learned a long time ago I don't question a maker's costs. They value their work/time to generate a standard of living for themselves based on where they live in the world, and who am I to judge them for that?

I think another thing to keep in mind is that price is also to some extent determined by demand. Almost all knife makers start at significantly lower prices and slowly move up. And why shouldn't they; the quality of work is likely improving, but most of all it's the only why not when you have a long waitinglist anyway. It's also the only way to really increase income for a maker since you can't easily increase output/volume.

There are several things to keep in mind when comparing prices of knives from different makers:

- locality - Ben lives in Europe, Edd lives in the US. This causes a number of things to change immediately, IIRC, Ben has done a post in the past (or maybe it was Janis from Xerxes) going into all the stuff that is required of him to keep his business going from just a pure legal standpoint being in a EU country. These overheads are added into the pure blade costs.
- "full-timeness" - Ben is a full-time maker, and I'm not sure if Edd is. Add up all your costs (living costs + shop costs) divide that by the number of blades you can make and that is your starting price/blade. Never mind if you're sick, get injured or need to take a day off that affects your output.
- store overhead - We have no idea how much Eating tools is taking of that price. They have to pay Ben, paying shipping and duties, and then pay for their own store/living costs. I wouldn't be surprised if half of that price was store mark-up.

I've learned a long time ago I don't question a maker's costs. They value their work/time to generate a standard of living for themselves based on where they live in the world, and who am I to judge them for that?
I get it and apologize as I can see how my comment may have come off criticizing Kamon, which I wasn't really trying to do. I also run a small business and understand the costs associated. I would assume ET gives the knife a 100% mark up(or more looking at some of the other prices), and at the end of the day I would assume is more profit than what the maker makes on the knife. Which I find to be flawed but a reality we live in and can be seen in many other industries. If demand is so high for some makers, why are they still choosing to sell to vendors charging such a premium if he could get that selling direct?

I get it and apologize as I can see how my comment may have come off criticizing Kamon, which I wasn't really trying to do. I also run a small business and understand the costs associated. I would assume ET gives the knife a 100% mark up(or more looking at some of the other prices), and at the end of the day I would assume is more profit than what the maker makes on the knife. Which I find to be flawed but a reality we live in and can be seen in many other industries. If demand is so high for some makers, why are they still choosing to sell to vendors charging such a premium if he could get that selling direct?
Marketing, reach, to sustain the demand, etc.

Can’t speak for any of the makers, but I imagine one of several reasons to go through vendors that they have an established relationship with is that it’s overall less work for the makers. Selling a knife through a lottery, which seems to be popular with the high-demand makers (probably because it gives more folks a chance to snag a hot commodity), requires taking photos, writing a description, compiling all the entries, contacting the lucky winner, and coordinating payment and mailing. Just writing that out made me tired.

Last edited:
Market / customer base coverage for sure. A lot of these makers don’t need to list anything on the website or newsletters to sell knives

If you want to see this comparison, you can look in the eddworks passaround thread. I compared the passaround Eddworks that even Ed acknowledged was inspired by Ben Kamon and a Kamon that was nearly the same length and weight, and I can say there is a notable difference between the two.

I've been fortunate to have used 4 different Eddworks (3 that I owned, 1 was the passaround) and 5 Kamons (all of which I've owned/do own) so I think I have a decent perspective on both of their knives.
Would also say that Eddie's grinds have really kicked up a notch since the PA knife too as he refines and matures his craft based on all of the feedback from us psychos swamping his custom list.

My 250 can silently drop through dense sweet potatoes and butternut better than anything I own/have tried.

It's almost a perfect knife for me, there's just a little stiction when I cube or julienne things. Well after a week of chatting and sending Eddie cutting videos on different produce he drops this video from the following batch.

His prices have climbed with the quality of work and cost of upgraded equipment to better meet demand. Psycho used to hammer everything by hand. I haven't had the pleasure of using a Kamon and would love to try a PA in the future but I certainly agree there's some differences between EU costs, name recognition and supply/demand. Everyone has to figure out what numbers can make a physically demanding hobby like knifemaking work as full time career to support themselves and family.

You think so? Which ones? I find prices reasonable. And they have lots of stuff that you cannot get anywhere else, like the Togashis and the iron-clad Wakuis. Other shops would flip such knives much more i think.
Well the Heji prices look like they're pretty much double from what people are paying direct.

Back